PDA

View Full Version : Clutch grease

Trevman
03-02-2013, 02:30 PM
So I'm swapping the clutch and flywheel and I cleaned out the bell housing. Bentley Manual says to use mos2 grease on the ball pivot pin and copper grease on the end of the push rod (plunger). I haven't been able to find the mos2 readily. What have you guys used? I have some belray waterproof grease I was going to use, but after research I'm not so sure it will last...can I use that or copper grease on both parts?

redline380
03-02-2013, 02:39 PM
I personally wouldn't let any grease near my clutch whether it says to or not.

bw86
03-02-2013, 02:40 PM
I think I used copper grease on both. I kinda forget. I definitely used it on the end of the slave rod/fork though.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Trevman
03-02-2013, 02:44 PM
There's plenty of metal between the grease and the clutch/fw. This isn't greasing the clutch or fw. I can't imagine the clutch would work smoothly at all without grease in these spots.

Trevman
03-02-2013, 02:45 PM
I think I used copper grease on both. I kinda forget. I definitely used it on the end of the slave rod/fork though.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, that sounds good to me. I'll go with that idea if nobody else says different soon.

98A4TurboAWD
03-02-2013, 03:07 PM
I personally wouldn't let any grease near my clutch whether it says to or not.

You should grease the shaft that goes into the center of the clutch and also a dab of grease in the pilot bushing. It won't hurt anything, and it isn't going to get on the flywheel and affect the clutch surface.

Use a small paint brush to spread it on.

I am sure Audi sells a $30 tub of German grease that they recommend, but I would not be shy at all to use plain old grease off the shelf at Advance Auto Parts.

Seerlah
03-02-2013, 04:40 PM
I did not use any on my vehicle and mine drive just fine. CM 228mm FX400. But for the sake of the thread, I actually forgot [confused]. This thread just hit me hard. I'll do it when I swap in my metal slave (only part I want to grease is the end of the slave to fork).

But then again, I also reused my old rear main seal (had to take off to replace crank and slipped it right back on). It was not old at all, though. Forget how many miles (like brand new). No leaks thus far. Then there are those who catch leaks with brand new seals, so...Install errors?

M-Hood
03-02-2013, 05:12 PM
You should grease the shaft that goes into the center of the clutch and also a dab of grease in the pilot bushing. It won't hurt anything, and it isn't going to get on the flywheel and affect the clutch surface.

Use a small paint brush to spread it on.

I am sure Audi sells a $30 tub of German grease that they recommend, but I would not be shy at all to use plain old grease off the shelf at Advance Auto Parts.

yeah as long as the grease is not being applied to anything that is spinning with the engine then it is just fine, do want to put some on the pilot bearing but make sure not to put too much other wise it will get squeezed out when the input shaft slides into it. A little can be put on the spline of the input shaft but make sure to pipe it off so you just end up with a very light film left on the shaft.

hanzy
03-02-2013, 05:29 PM
I always put a little moS2 on the splines of the input shaft, and a dab on the pivot point of the fork.

I have used high temp anti-seize in a pinch.

You really only need a little bit.