PDA

View Full Version : Serpent belt, timing belt & AC noise

iglitk
02-27-2013, 09:17 PM
The threads in this forum have helped me through the one year that i have owned my car. A front wheel drive, 1998 A4 1.8T (in the back the badge says just 1.8, but it has a turbo so i really don't understand).

I bought the car with 110K miles. And i didn't know i had to ask if the timing belt was done or not. (Before this i had a 1995 Mazda MX6, drove it from 80K to 300K without ever worrying about the timing belt).

Question one: The car has now 150K, does that mean the belt has already been done? ( i will post a pic of how it looks tomorrow)

Question two: When i turn the AC on, i hear a very loud screaming noise from the front of the engine (often, not always). Even if the heat is on, if i press the ac button it screams. A pulley, bearing, Bad AC? Anyone had similar experience?

Question three: The serpent belt snapped today. The weird thing is that it looks in really good shape, no cracks, not dry. Is there anything (besides just tough luck) that could cause it to break?

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/7167/img08991.jpg

Lornnn
02-27-2013, 09:20 PM
If you don't know if the timing belt has been done do it yesterday. I wouldn't risk valve, piston and potentially other damage just with a visual inspection.

The AC noise could be the culprit of your belt breaking. Maybe a stuck pulley or otherwise bad bearing.

ECS Tuning-Audi
02-28-2013, 12:48 PM
Definitely have the timing belt changed ASAP no point in compromising the engine. The loud squealing noise could be from the AC belt tensioner. It's very low and can get lots of road debris, water, salt, and all kinds of gunk caught in it.

It's not uncommon that these will seize up or get loud and make noise.

That pulley could be seized and what caused the belt to break.

Definitely worth getting under the car to investigate.

If you need pricing on parts shoot me a PM, I'll be happy to help!

Jason

iglitk
02-28-2013, 01:30 PM
I put in a new serpentine Belt and new water pump belt, I thought since i had the front end off the car i would do the water pump and the timing belt but it started raining. ( i live in a apartment, student budget :( ) i will open it up again as soon as we get some good weather here.

I found out that the power steering pump pulley can be moved by hand back and forth, could that cause the belt to break?

TConklin821
02-28-2013, 01:35 PM
Serpent belt? How'd you get a snake to wrap around all those pullies?

iglitk
02-28-2013, 01:45 PM
Serpent belt? How'd you get a snake to wrap around all those pullies?

Haha those cobras can be very helpful.

There is a ticking noise around the turbo, i cant figure if its the turbo or something else, its pissing me off

ianwpb
02-28-2013, 06:25 PM
Definitely have the timing belt changed ASAP no point in compromising the engine. The loud squealing noise could be from the AC belt tensioner. It's very low and can get lots of road debris, water, salt, and all kinds of gunk caught in it.

It's not uncommon that these will seize up or get loud and make noise.

Jason

I'm going to go ahead and second both points here. NEVER assume the TB has been changed. Get it taken care of yesterday! I'm not sure if you're aware of the potential ramifications of a broken timing belt but having had a car with one that snapped, I wouldn't wish that on anyone. This was on my old SRT-4. The TB service is supposed to be done at 106,000 miles. I was at 106,500 when it snapped. They aren't kidding around with these TB intervals.

I have a 2.8 and obviously the Accessory/V-belt/Serp belt configuration is different than the 1.8t, but my accessory belt tensioner bearing seized up on a highway off ramp mid 270 degree turn. The pulley stopped spinning and separated from the engine. Power steering (along with A/C and Alternator) went and needless to say it was pretty unnerving. I would go ahead and check out all of your pulleys to see if there is any resistance when turning them.

Just replacing the belt without checking your accessory pulleys is just putting a band-aid on the problem. If everything checks out, then maybe it was just the belt.