PDA

View Full Version : bigger bang for buck

Koldham
02-26-2013, 08:04 PM
so for my birthday i have a nice set of tires coming my wayand im thinking about doing a suspension mod as well. what will give me better results? a set of raceland coilovers is about $400 which is about the same as a neuspeed rear swaybar. this audi is the newest car ive owned by almost 25 years so i don't quite understand how the suspension performance changes with different upgrades. i also cant dump alot of money in the car as it is not worth it anyways( it aint even quattro)

i know a rear sway bar did wonders for my 73' ford, but it seems like alot of money for what im actually getting. on the flipside, it will not affect any other parts on my car and if something were to go wrong during install or whatever, i can still drive the car.

a set of raceland coilovers gives me a stiffer ride which doesnt bother me so much, and it would replace my struts(car has 230k, not sure when struts were replaced). on the flipside, it would change the working angle of my drive shafts and control arms which they might not like(230k remember?) and i don't wanna slam my cars rideheight either, just make it ride flatter

any help or advice is appreciated

A4 Quattro
02-26-2013, 08:10 PM
Don't get raceland.

/thread

coolgraymemo
02-26-2013, 08:10 PM
Coilovers.

Don't get raceland.

/thread

Do you have experience with them?
Yea, don't think so.

A4 Quattro
02-26-2013, 08:14 PM
If you want to get lower but not slam it, and you're planning on staying static, springs are your best friends.

Koldham
02-26-2013, 08:24 PM
If you want to get lower but not slam it, and you're planning on staying static, springs are your best friends.

i don't want to go low, i want to corner better. the stiffer springs in the coilovers is what i want. i couldn't find any stiffer springs with stock ride height. the car plows through turns like a pickup truck and i looked into springs and that was my first thought. But that means i still have to reuse my stock shocks and every place ive read says that going lower on stock shocks is a big no no. It will blow them out in 10,00 miles or less. bilstine has shocks specifically made for lowering springs but that would push me way over my $400 budget

Gberg888
02-27-2013, 08:48 AM
Its an audi, you get what you pay for. You get two of the three, pic: Price, Quality/Reliability, and Performance. You cannot have all 3.

There had to be some concessions made when constructing the Raceland coils since every other coil is at least 300 more.

Id go with the sway considering your budget.

U_know_me
02-27-2013, 01:03 PM
I have multiple friends that run Racelands as I do myself, all with no issues and all are very happy with the ride. My Jetta put a good 80k on them before one started to go out slowly that was with a 22in GTF. My B5 has them and I couldnt be more pleased with the ride! Any instance that I have heard of racelands giving issues is when people slam them to the bottom and dont know how to drive, if your going to do that go air IMO.

melomandn
02-27-2013, 03:27 PM
If you're just looking to go low then racelands are fine, but since you only want handling I would definitely get H&R race or neuspeed springs and you'll want some bilsteins or some aftermarket struts or else yours will blow withing months most likely depending on how many miles are on them.

Koldham
02-27-2013, 05:16 PM
If you're just looking to go low then racelands are fine, but since you only want handling I would definitely get H&R race or neuspeed springs and you'll want some bilsteins or some aftermarket struts or else yours will blow withing months most likely depending on how many miles are on them.

you didn't read...

and swaybars are looking like the better option. does anybody make a kit (front and rear) for around $400 all iv seen are the singles.

*edit, i found a kit and its an eibach, anybody do buisness with these guys? http://fluxperformance.com/index.php?route=common/home

melomandn
02-27-2013, 06:06 PM
you didn't read...

and swaybars are looking like the better option. does anybody make a kit (front and rear) for around $400 all iv seen are the singles.

*edit, i found a kit and its an eibach, anybody do buisness with these guys? http://fluxperformance.com/index.php?route=common/home

I actually read the whole thread..

I bought my H&R + Bilstein setup for $250 and have had it for about 35k now

Koldham
02-27-2013, 06:21 PM
I actually read the whole thread..

I bought my H&R + Bilstein setup for $250 and have had it for about 35k now

where did you buy your parts from, i couldn't price it less than $500? and that was with tien springs

vividracing
02-28-2013, 03:09 PM
Let me know if you want Vivid to get you a quote! :)