PDA

View Full Version : F#$K my car!

seanentrust
02-26-2013, 05:42 PM
im so angry and disgusted at my F#$king car right now! i just spent the last 2 days replacing the breather hose, throttle body, misc other hoses and gaskets hoping to fix an issue that seemed to point to the throttle body and the breather was toast so decided to go ahead and fix that while i was at it. Long story short, i spent time and money i didnt really have and all i have to show is cut up hands and a dent on my hood (dont ask) and the car still isnt any better. its still idling weird and sputtering and lugging at WOT. I think i may officially be done with this car!

hanzy
02-26-2013, 05:49 PM
Do you have vag com?

If so please post up an auto scan.

seanentrust
02-26-2013, 05:54 PM
Do you have vag com?

If so please post up an auto scan.

this is what prompted me to change the throttle body, i havent scanned it since changing it, cause i just got it back together an hour ago
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8111/8510964723_86ed2fb7d5_b.jpg

revolution337
02-26-2013, 05:56 PM
^ those faults could have been stored simply due to a lack of throttle body adaption

seanentrust
02-26-2013, 05:58 PM
^ those faults could have been stored simply due to a lack of throttle body adaption

they would not clear out? we tried

howardfootball
02-26-2013, 06:01 PM
Did you perform a throttle body adaptation? Or just replace the throttle body?

BaseDrifter
02-26-2013, 06:32 PM
Did you see this?

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4217451-Fault-code-17967-(P1559)-and-17973-(P1565)

seanentrust
02-26-2013, 07:25 PM
Did you perform a throttle body adaptation? Or just replace the throttle body?

replaced the throttle body

Polski
02-26-2013, 08:18 PM
You should have adapted the throttle instead of buying a new one, 30 seconds with a real vag com.

either way, you should adapt the new one also. Something as simple as cleaning a throttle body can set it off alignment.

hanzy
02-26-2013, 09:11 PM
You gotta adapt it man!

You cannot just install a new throttle body and expect it to work.

It needs to align itself.

Clear codes.

Basic settings channel 060.

chris164935
02-26-2013, 11:58 PM
If the codes won't clear, then you're not going to be able to do a throttle body adaptation. Check to see if there are any obstructions to the throttle valve itself that might be preventing it from opening/closing. Next, I would check your wiring harness to the throttle body for continuity. Repair the wiring, if needed. If the codes clear after that, perform a throttle body adaption and enjoy. If the wiring harness is fine, it could be an issue with your ECM...

Mad Cow
02-27-2013, 06:02 AM
If the codes won't clear, then you're not going to be able to do a throttle body adaptation. Check to see if there are any obstructions to the throttle valve itself that might be preventing it from opening/closing. Next, I would check your wiring harness to the throttle body for continuity. Repair the wiring, if needed. If the codes clear after that, perform a throttle body adaption and enjoy. If the wiring harness is fine, it could be an issue with your ECM...

How would a throttle body ever be able to adapt if it always had to wait for the TB codes to be cleared? That would effectively brick any throttle body that's ever had a problem because you can't clear a TB code without an adaptation. The TB in my DBC 2.8 went haywire after the battery died and the car just barely ran on what felt like 3 cylinders, after an adaptation everything was good.

chris164935
02-27-2013, 10:42 AM
How would a throttle body ever be able to adapt if it always had to wait for the TB codes to be cleared? That would effectively brick any throttle body that's ever had a problem because you can't clear a TB code without an adaptation. The TB in my DBC 2.8 went haywire after the battery died and the car just barely ran on what felt like 3 cylinders, after an adaptation everything was good.
Not every condition that throws a code related to the throttle body is caused by the throttle body itself. I had a wire break on my engine harness one time and could not clear the code. The code stayed stored in the ECM's memory, regardless of how many time I hit the "clear codes" button in VAG-COM, until I found the wire and repaired it. Then I was able to clear the code and perform an adaptation.
In this guy's case, the DTCs being stored relate to the throttle body but are not thrown by the throttle body itself (as is clear because he installed a brand new throttle body). Something else in the wrong in the system of components related to the throttle body, whether it's the wiring, the throttle pedal itself, possibly even the engine speed sensor as mentions in the Ross-Tech wiki: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/17967/P1559/005465

walky_talky20
02-27-2013, 12:38 PM
From what I can see from a wiring diagram, the Throttle body has 2 built-in Throttle Position Sensors, that give varying voltages which pertain to the exact throttle angle. It also has a switch. I am assuming this would be the "idle contacts". I'm not positive, but it may be looking for those contacts to close before it recognizes the throttle plate as being at the "lower stop".

So, for instance, if there was an "open" (cut) in just 1 wire, it wouldn't necessarily throw an "open circuit" code - because it is supposed to be open some of the time. It will just be unable to recognize the "lower stop" position correctly, and it will throw a code for that instead.

That's my theory. I'd be checking out the wires. Especially the Purple/Yellow one:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b154/walky_talky20/AEB-TBA_zpse184b765.png