PDA

View Full Version : Stern Power RIng. worth trying? any UK sellers??

lock_stock
02-25-2013, 07:50 AM
Hi,

My car is a quattro and suffers the rear diff clunk. From lots of reading etc, it looks like it might be wear inside the diff, but seems like it wont hurt to see if it can be reduced by trying to reduce any other slop in the drivetrain.

Anyone got any other recommendations than the Rear diff bush from Stern, or stiffer poly bushes in general.

Is there any other way to try to remedy the clunk?

My problem is I haven't been able to find a UK seller of the Power RIng, anywhere. Anyone know one, or a US seller who ships to UK.?

cheers

M-Hood
02-25-2013, 08:24 AM
Yes, for the price it is a good option. I have been running it on my car since Mike started making it. More expensive option is the Apikol rear diff which replaces the whole stock diff mount/bracket.

lock_stock
02-27-2013, 05:10 AM
So M-Hood, Did your car suffer from a mild clunk as the rear diff power engages. I have had the car on a ramp, and when you rotate the centre prop shaft, you can feel a tiny amount of play before the rear diff engages, so I think it is inside the diff itself where there is a tiny bit of slack.

Are you aware of any sellers that ship international? I have seen the APikol rear diff mounts but they appear much more expensive.....

cheers

M-Hood
02-27-2013, 06:53 AM
So M-Hood, Did your car suffer from a mild clunk as the rear diff power engages. I have had the car on a ramp, and when you rotate the centre prop shaft, you can feel a tiny amount of play before the rear diff engages, so I think it is inside the diff itself where there is a tiny bit of slack.

Are you aware of any sellers that ship international? I have seen the APikol rear diff mounts but they appear much more expensive.....

cheers

Yes, that clunk is very common on anything making more then stock power. That clunk is caused be the diff moving too far upward and hitting the frame.

If you are getting a clunk when turning the drive shaft by hand then that could be a bad diff. I can check mine when I put it up on the stand but I have never felt any play my stock rear diff all of the times I have unbolted my drive shaft from the transmission.

lock_stock
02-28-2013, 04:13 AM
I'd Appreciate that M-Hood. The garage, when up on the ramp seem to think it was more to do with the centre prop shaft and slop in the diff itself, rather than any drive train mounts that they thought were ok.

However, if for example I accelerate to 50mph in 3rd gear, and I dump the clutch I feel a slight clunk presumably as the resistance in the drivetrain from the desengaged gearbox back to the rear diff causes slight deceleration.

If I accelerate to 50mph in 3rd hear, under power, then back right off the throttle (going into overrun), the clunk is more noticable. Now it could still be play in the diff itself from the centre prop, but my feeling is the extra load put through under overrun (carrying the extra resistance from engine braking), would point to the front diff mount, more than the prop.......

Is this logic sound or am I just trying to convince myself its the cheap problem haha.

I would also say that this is not a metalic or audible clunk, it is more of a dull diffuse thud that comes through from under the rear of the car when dropping/engaging the clutch/power. Something similar to the feeling you would get if bounced a solid heavy rubber ball on a concrete block. Again this suggests more to me that its movement of the diff against a rubber mount, than a metalic clunk of a driveshaft taking up slack in a loose bearing.... but again, perhaps this is the feeling of a metalic impact from slack trasferred through a rubber mount :/ ... what a minefield haha..

cheers

M-Hood
02-28-2013, 06:30 AM
If you hear the clunk right behind the front seats then it is the diff hitting the frame.