PDA

View Full Version : Blew my engine today

TConklin821
02-24-2013, 04:33 PM
Yup. I was waiting for it. Pushing 23-25 lbs from a GT2860RS on a stock AWM. Came around a U turn, gave it some gas, once it hit boost I heard BOOM (sounded like a bomb went off) and heard metal parts hitting the ground, pieces of the block I'm assuming. Oil everywhere, I pulled into a parking lot and set the e-brake. Looking for a motor currently.

revolution337
02-24-2013, 04:38 PM
Ah no. Sucks to hear man :(

Seerlah
02-24-2013, 04:42 PM
That sucks. Pushing that amount of boost on the stock block was not a wise thing to do. When I was running my turbo on the stock block, I had it set at 18psi. Even now on my built block I am running 21psi. You should not have set the boost above what the tune calls for (requests). You more than likely were pulling ignition timing for a while and it took it's toll on the block.

Anyways, building a short block is not difficult at all and can be sought for cheap. Nice to see you sticking with the car. I demand pics of the carnage once you get to it.

Off topic, you never updated your thread as to what happened to the card thieves.

BlackLock_A4
02-24-2013, 04:46 PM
Bummer! - was it worth it? lol

TConklin821
02-24-2013, 04:57 PM
No MBC or anything, Mitch. That's what it was set for, lol. Oh well. I'm gonna buy an AWM motor and buy rods and pistons and such and build it at my apartment out on the balcony. Then when it's done I'll bring it over to the VW shop and have them swap out the motors. Yes, it was worth it. That car was fun. I was honestly waiting for this to happen. I'll put in stronger internals and eventually I wanna run a GT3071r.

GOODBYNAAIR
02-24-2013, 05:01 PM
Sorry man that sucks! what tune you running? uni

TConklin821
02-24-2013, 05:02 PM
Custom tune by Breakout Motorsports up in NY. They do good work.

AudiNFS
02-24-2013, 05:10 PM
I'd sell you my AEB bottom end for a decent price. Would even meet you if you want. If was off the flooded A4, and I assume you're going to be building the motor this time around so it would just need a cleaning while it's apart. Car was not started at all during or after the flood. If you're interested shoot me a PM

sbaer2
02-24-2013, 05:13 PM
i wanna feel bad for you but if you knew it was coming why continue to push that much boost on a stock block? unless you have money to throw around like that...good luck

Slavchob
02-24-2013, 05:18 PM
Sucks to hear man. Good luck with the build though [up]

coolgraymemo
02-24-2013, 06:56 PM
Sorry to hear about that Terry.

I'm kind of glad that I didn't keep my eliminator setup now.

NeedingAnAudi
02-24-2013, 07:44 PM
Welp. Welcome to the club. Just be glad you don't have to do this

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2471/5843533688_2a4ebd8e4d_b.jpg

God I love this picture

prizmatik
02-24-2013, 07:51 PM
How many miles did you put on the GT2860RS setup before it blew?

wolfe2118
02-24-2013, 08:02 PM

God I love this picture

I bet your apartment management loved that!

redline380
02-24-2013, 08:18 PM
I'd sell you my AEB bottom end for a decent price. Would even meet you if you want. If was off the flooded A4, and I assume you're going to be building the motor this time around so it would just need a cleaning while it's apart. Car was not started at all during or after the flood. If you're interested shoot me a PM

pretty sure his car is an 01 so not really compatible.

i almost thought i blew my motor today too. i was giving a friend a ride and at about 120 mph, a very loud repetitive nooise occured. i had visions on a windowed block in my mind. turns out it was just my skid plate flapping very hard.

AudiNFS
02-24-2013, 09:13 PM
pretty sure his car is an 01 so not really compatible.

i almost thought i blew my motor today too. i was giving a friend a ride and at about 120 mph, a very loud repetitive nooise occured. i had visions on a windowed block in my mind. turns out it was just my skid plate flapping very hard.

Why would it not be compatible? Don't people do this stuff all the time? Or is that with heads only?

I mean I'm sure it can be done, I just don't know how costly effective it is. Either way, I was just offering since I'm pretty close to him in terms of location

johnnybravo!
02-24-2013, 09:35 PM
No MBC or anything, Mitch. That's what it was set for, lol. Oh well. I'm gonna buy an AWM motor and buy rods and pistons and such and build it at my apartment out on the balcony. Then when it's done I'll bring it over to the VW shop and have them swap out the motors. Yes, it was worth it. That car was fun. I was honestly waiting for this to happen. I'll put in stronger internals and eventually I wanna run a GT3071r.

sorry for your loss brotha but better times are a comin'!!.....GT3071r?? hmmm or u can consider saving $$ and going with my new Comp Turbo 4952..ad in classifieds..spools just a tad later than 2871r but make 3076 type powahh!... pm me if interested

nynoah
02-24-2013, 10:40 PM
And AEB bottom end will not work with a 2001. Best to find the correct block.

chris164935
02-25-2013, 12:04 AM
Why would it not be compatible? Don't people do this stuff all the time? Or is that with heads only?

I mean I'm sure it can be done, I just don't know how costly effective it is. Either way, I was just offering since I'm pretty close to him in terms of location
He could use it but he'd have to replace all his coolant hoses, etc. with hoses from a car that came with the AEB motor originally. He'd also have to source an external water pump (unless your block comes with one).

sorry for your loss brotha but better times are a comin'!!.....GT3071r?? hmmm or u can consider saving $$ and going with my new Comp Turbo 4952..ad in classifieds..spools just a tad later than 2871r but make 3076 type powahh!... pm me if interested
I also have an Autronic SM2 setup in the Classifieds that would be an excellent addition to your new build! Lol.

TConklin821
02-26-2013, 02:03 PM
Aye guys. I appreciate the offer to sell me the bottom end, but I found a deal locally. There's a VW shop in town (who does very good work) who has a fully built AEB motor. IE rods, Weisco pistons, ARP head bolts and rod bolts. Only has 5000 miles on it since the build, the car it was in got totalled. He's asking $3000, install included.

Seerlah
02-26-2013, 02:08 PM
So you are going to throw an AEB engine into your car? Great price with install, if he installs it properly. That is not the same design block that came out of your car (ie IM shaft).

Also, you should sell your eliminator and go full frame [up]

nynoah
02-26-2013, 02:11 PM
Buy a 06a block and take the parts from that AEB. It will save you much headache in the long run.

walky_talky20
02-26-2013, 02:38 PM
Knock sensors, cam shutter wheel, oil level sensor, VVT, coolant lines, etc, etc. A bunch of gotcha's. Whoever quoted you $3,000 installed probably doesn't know what they are getting themselves into.

TConklin821
02-26-2013, 02:50 PM
Damn. That sucks. I also have a 2004 Ford Explorer, blue books for between 4 and 6k. I'm considering parting out my A4 and selling the explorer and buying another already modded Audi. Sucks though, I've done so much to it. on the other hand, there's an AWM motor for sale in the classifieds for $900. I am considering buying it and buying rods and pistons, building it, and having that shop put it in for me. Just not sure on the shipping costs for having an engine shipped from CT to FL.

winston@podi.ca
02-26-2013, 03:05 PM
At least it is dry and sunny for you to work on the car! [up]

It's almost always raining here in Vancouver. [:(]

God I love this picture

Avant Nate
02-26-2013, 03:07 PM
Have you tried http://car-part.com/ to see if there are any engines local to you?

TConklin821
02-26-2013, 03:13 PM
They're all stock though, I'm not gonna waste my time with an OEM engine (yes I have). I'm considering parking out my A4 (or selling as is, not sure what would bring more) and getting a stage 3 B5 S4

nynoah
02-26-2013, 03:30 PM
If you can get the built AEB for a good deal without the instal, it might be worth it for the head and the bottom end parts. Then just find an 06a block. Rods, pistons and perhaps the crank (depends on which one is in that built motor) would transfer over. But yeah, its WAY more difficult to put an AEB into a AWM than 3K dollars.

TConklin821
02-26-2013, 03:40 PM
I think I have come to a conclusion...

buy the stock AWM motor, swap it in, with a stock K03. Sell it with OEM engine, and the turbo kit separately. use that cash and sell my explorer and start new with a different project. I just wish I had some lowering springs to slap on there so I could sell the STs separately as well.

Clewe
02-26-2013, 03:46 PM

buy the stock AWM motor, swap it in, with a stock K03. Sell it with OEM engine, and the turbo kit separately. use that cash and sell my explorer and start new with a different project. I just wish I had some lowering springs to slap on there so I could sell the STs separately as well.

Well it sounds like you got a plan and some money, why don't you just get some cheap/used lowering springs and put em on.

thenj3
02-26-2013, 03:51 PM
honestly i think it could be easily be done for that price. i did this conversion in my car, granted the motor I put in was already converted so it was basically drop in, but since he has awm motor and if the parts that need to be transfered over are still good then id say do it. if your head is good, just swap it over it then that takes care of the vvt. if its not just resistor out vvt and have your tuner tune it out. then you would just have to put the cam sensor wheel onto the crankshaft no big deal there. then change over a few of the coolant lines, most are the same, just the couple that go to the water pump. if your oil pan is still good from the awm, swap the awm pan and oil sensor to the aeb. use the awm knock sensors. use the aeb crank sensor but switch the wiring on the ecu harness side connector, just switching two wires. thats about everything I can think of off the top of my head. for 3 grand I'd be all over it.

thenj3
02-26-2013, 03:53 PM

if going that route. just put the st's for sale and have the purchaser send back the oem stuff.

TConklin821
02-26-2013, 03:54 PM
And be without springs and struts? Would the fenders just rest on the tires? Lol, or swap it, then send him the STs.

thenj3
02-26-2013, 03:58 PM
jack stands?

TConklin821
02-26-2013, 04:01 PM
Apartment manager is a dick. We will see. If the guy says he can do the swap with all the necessary changes that's the route I'm going to go.

thenj3
02-26-2013, 04:06 PM
ah well that would be a problem. i was in the same boat as you for the past few months trying to figure out what I was gonna do with my car. posted up a part out thread, went and drove a couple s4's, multiple stage levels. highly considered selling everything buying a s4 and moving on. but I thought and thought and knew how much money, blood, sweat I've put into the a4 that I needed to keep it. Now I'm having a new motor assembled and I'll be back to driving around with the biggest smile ever.

Avant Nate
02-26-2013, 05:04 PM
Apartment manager is a dick. We will see. If the guy says he can do the swap with all the necessary changes that's the route I'm going to go.

If the apartment manager is a dick, how could you possibly part out your car?

melomandn
02-26-2013, 06:31 PM
highly considered selling everything buying a s4 and moving on. but I thought and thought and knew how much money, blood, sweat I've put into the a4 that I needed to keep it.

This is the problem I'm having. I really want a stage 3 s4 or an s4 avant but after everything I've gone through with my car I just cant let go.

lorge1989
02-26-2013, 07:03 PM
You will regret that S4 decision. Stick with the A4 and buy something else for cheap that you can drive when the A4 is broken/pissing you off/ both.

andyrew
02-26-2013, 07:17 PM
:(

aysix
02-26-2013, 07:23 PM
You will regret that S4 decision. Stick with the A4 and buy something else for cheap that you can drive when the A4 is broken/pissing you off/ both.

Why do you say this?

coolgraymemo
02-26-2013, 08:04 PM
Don't get a 2.7T.

Just rebuild your A4 and make it better.

burgurboy
02-26-2013, 09:03 PM
Dang terry, If i didn't have my eye on a supercharger for my 2.8 I'd offer to buy those STs off of you and give you my stock struts + lowering springs.

BTW this is Cody from EA. i'm down in lakeland. Sorry about your bad luck!!

andyrew
02-26-2013, 09:52 PM
^ All this being said.. I bought an Allroad while mine is down... Im liking the luxury quite a bit...

chris164935
02-26-2013, 11:33 PM
Where are you located at in Florida? My friend might have an 06A block and head. We're near Jacksonville (Orange Park/Fleming Island, specifically).

TConklin821
02-27-2013, 06:57 AM
I'm in Orlando and I'd be very interested.