PDA

View Full Version : Clutch or tranny issue?

Mad Cow
02-24-2013, 12:13 PM
Cruising down the highway today my car suddenly shut off and started making a horrible clunking/drivetrain binding noise. No idea why the motor shut off because it ran perfectly when I tried starting it again, but now it can't move forward without feeling like something is seriously binding, but reverse seems ok somehow. Letting the clutch off in neutral makes a sort of whining/grinding noise from around the transmission area and the RPMs drop a bit as if under load. Everything seems to be pointing to the transmission, but it's never given me any trouble before, it shifted smoothly and felt basically brand new before the motor swap. One odd thing I noticed was that I couldn't downshift into 3rd without precisely rev matching in the first few drives after the swap, but then everything was fine soon after. The clutch on the other hand, looked a bit flakey when I put it in (used OEM) and I don't really trust it. The throwout and pilot bearing are brand new too.

Any ideas? I'm going to pull the motor regardless, but I was hoping to get some opinions first.

Mad Cow
02-25-2013, 08:48 PM
Pulled the motor out today and everything seems fine in the bellhousing. I tried turning the input shaft over by hand and heard grinding, now I've never diagnosed a transmission before but that can't be right. Now the question is why. Why did my transmission spontaneously explode a couple hundred kilometers after finally getting the swap buttoned up? It's been absolutely perfect until the swap, when the 3rd gear synchro suddenly and now it seems the input shaft bearing is toast. Also note that same synchro started working properly a couple of days earlier.

I swear this car is trying to kill itself, first the year old timing belt slips on startup and now this.

M-Hood
02-26-2013, 06:05 AM
Might want to drain the fluid out of the transmission and see if there is any metal flakes in it.