PDA

View Full Version : What is a good power steering subsitute ??

BirdTurbo
02-23-2013, 02:36 PM
I know there is at least one power steering fluid that is not pentosyth/oem that falls close to the parameters of being usable substitute. It is possible but what brand can I find at auto-zone that meet the criteria as a good filler.[confused][confused][confused][confused][confused][confused][confused][confused][confused][confused][headbang][mad][:(][rolleyes]

revolution337
02-23-2013, 02:57 PM
I wouldn't use anything other than CHF11S, thats what the system was designed for.

BirdTurbo
02-23-2013, 03:13 PM
Well since I'm flushing the old fluid out. What would be a good throw away fluid as my precious CHFS11s is expensive and of course I'm going to cycle the CHF11S through the system. I just got four cans of this stuff and I don't want to screw it up?

98A4TurboAWD
02-23-2013, 03:37 PM
I know there is at least one power steering fluid that is not pentosyth/oem that falls close to the parameters of being usable substitute. It is possible but what brand can I find at auto-zone that meet the criteria as a good filler.[confused][confused][confused][confused][confused][confused][confused][confused][confused][confused][headbang][mad][:(][rolleyes]

I bought some prestone at Advance auto. It is a hydraulic mineral oil and it will work fine. It's about 5.99.

98A4TurboAWD
02-23-2013, 03:45 PM
Well since I'm flushing the old fluid out. What would be a good throw away fluid as my precious CHFS11s is expensive and of course I'm going to cycle the CHF11S through the system. I just got four cans of this stuff and I don't want to screw it up?

BTW, from my research I found that Audi recommended a particular hydraulic mineral oil. I don't remember if it was synthetic or not. They then switched to the fully synthetic, and according to the service bulletin, Audi said that it was OK to mix the synthetic chfs11s with the old stuff.

I don't think that running a less expensive brand of hydraulic mineral oil is going to be very damaging to your system.

One thing I notice about a lot of Audi owners is that they all will only recommend G12, Pentosin ATF, and Audi PS fluid. Bunch of BS, IMO. Overpriced stuff which can be substituted with a quality less expensive fluid in many cases.

BirdTurbo
02-23-2013, 04:53 PM
I got some it doesn't say on the bottle that it does?

98A4TurboAWD
02-23-2013, 05:01 PM
I got some it doesn't say on the bottle that it does?

No, what I did was checked the website first. Search for power steering fluid, then when you click on the prestone product, click on "specifications" and it will tell which type. Find the one that says mineral. It is already hydraulic.

BirdTurbo
02-23-2013, 06:35 PM
Hmm, well I got the General purpose one that was 5.99. I saw on the website that they have a euro one with mineral fluid but I'm in Texas and yet to see one anywhere. I guess i ll just use the cheapo one to filter out the old.

hanzy
02-23-2013, 07:09 PM
The 11S and 202 are synthetic based. The old 7.1 is mineral based and is discontinued.

I constantly hear the 11S has been discontinued but that is not true as far as I can tell(I still purchase and stock at least 10 cans)

The 11S and 202 can be mixed, the 7.1 CANNOT.

It does not make any sense to flush the system with non spec fluid and then add the 11S/202 as there will be remains of the other fluid. IMO best just to flush with the 11S/202.

It is not like doing a cooling system as coolant already has water as part of it so having a little bit of water remaining the system will not harm anything.

Proof is in the pudding...

http://www.crpindustries.com/pentosin/f_hydraulicfluid.asp