PDA

View Full Version : No start issue, need immediate help!

2001A4
02-20-2013, 06:42 PM
so 2 days ago i went to warm up the car and all it would do is crank, turned key off, amd back on, just crank, repeated the process and bam starts perfect first hit. the rest of the day it was fine. yesterday same thing happens, this morning same thing happens, no cels, i do have a brake light indicator but i have pads. going on this weekend.....

basically im looking any and all suggestions, im leaning towards fuel pump buts ecs only has oem which is 400, i need this fixed befor next wends. thursday im leaving for south carolina...

i have serched other forums but i dont have any other symptoms, no hiccups or low boost or anything, once it starts its great.

thanks in advance,

contrldsub
02-20-2013, 08:00 PM
check the fuel pump relay, i usually just swap the fuel pump relay with another identical relay. when it wont start pull a coil and plug and check for spark. also try cycling the key a few times before attempting to start it. if this works i would figure its the pump. but try the relay first.

contrldsub
02-20-2013, 08:01 PM
also check www.rockauto.com they list one for just over 100$

hanzy
02-20-2013, 08:40 PM
Before throwing a fuel pump in...

When it wont start in the morning measure you fuel pressure.

You should have ~2.5 bar @ cold start with it rising to ~3.5 bar.

If you do not have fuel, can you hear the pump running? Are you getting power back to the pump?

Check for spark.

Verify your coolant temp sensor is reading properly by measuring actual coolant temp. vs what the scan tool is displaying for coolant temp.
Verify you do not have any dtc's for a crank position sensor. There may be no cel, but the cps does not always set the cel.

4Loops
02-21-2013, 01:11 PM
I'll assume you've made sure you have fuel in the tank to start with. I have to ask cause that's the high level. (I've fooled myself before).

As mentioned make sure you're getting pressure on the fuel rail.. if no pressure, or if you can't at this point, you can still check for voltage at the fuel pump. The connection is easy to get to, just under the rear seat, passenger's side, there is a cover plate. Remove that and voila, there is the pump and connection and tank access. Check for a voltage at this connecton..

Another route to check would be the Mass Air Flow valve connection. If this comes unplugged you'r car will not start well, or at all. Honestly, this sounds like a possibility for you, especially if the day that it did start hard, it also ran rough..

And you're using the right key? (Immobilizer issue, if you're so equipped?)

Another off the cuff guess.. bad fuel? (maybe try additive/gas dry just in case?)

Hope you solve your issue,