PDA

View Full Version : Silver Fox is in trouble!

slipndip
02-20-2013, 12:01 PM
I was drifting around in the parking lot by work the other night and hit a patch of pavement that caused my car to abruptly decelerate. I didn't hear any sounds out of the usual as my rpms dropped to 200 for roughly 3-4 seconds then shut off completely. When I went to start her back up again the engine would turn over as normal for about 2-3 seconds and then switch to a consistent chugging until I stop cranking the engine. Left car until I got off work, tried starting, same results. Left overnight, same results. Pulled the plugs, all had light carbon build and a little oil on them, but cylinders 1 and 4 in particular had a lot of oil on them. Plug 4 was drenched. Checked Fuses, and swapped the plugs, held accelerator to the floor this time and same results. Towed the car back to the garage and started tearin shit apart...very carefully of coarse. Found a good deal of oil deposits along the bottom of my engine and turbo. I removed the front of the car to more closely inspect the timing belt and found some oil deposited in the timing belt cover and slightly on the timing belt. Havnt taken the lower timing ets cover off yet, but the oil gets thicker as you go down. First thought is a leaky valve cover gasket which I removed the valve cover and found the gasket seemed in decent condition. No obvious ruptures to my inspection. Cams look great, chains tight never had any noises from it. This leads me to believe that I might have lost compression in one or multiple cylinders. Next thoughts are possible issues with the piston rings or pistons themselves or maybe the head gasket? It was not running long enough after it shut down to see any white smoke from coolent leaking through the head. I will check the compression tonight or tomorrow morning when I get a day off. Any thoughts are much appreciated. The body has 211,000 and the engine was a bit of a mystery rebuild since receipts so easily vanish. From what I can tell its a good clean AEB 1.8t thats been reliable for 2 years now. I will be looking to perform a massive facelift of the engine as I already have the front end off. and she could use a pick me up for the next 100,000.lol Please check out pics on flicker and hit me wit any questions or ideas. Thanks.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93432578@N06/

NWAUDIB5
02-20-2013, 12:28 PM
check the MAF, it probably came unplugged.

Scientist
02-20-2013, 12:33 PM
Or the turbo.

walky_talky20
02-20-2013, 12:57 PM
Did you check the belt timing? Maybe it jumped?

slipndip
02-20-2013, 06:09 PM
Did you check the belt timing? Maybe it jumped?

Ill try using a screwdriver to verify TDC. Cams look in the right position but if it only jumped little its possible that could be enough to wack it out without making it too obvious?

slipndip
02-20-2013, 06:11 PM
check the MAF, it probably came unplugged.

would the turbo going make my car not start up like that?

And I'll creep the MAF tomorrow morning as well maybe pick up some cleaner too since lurkin in there.

Thanks