PDA

View Full Version : GTRS with a AEB head would it be worth it??

GOODBYNAAIR
02-20-2013, 08:49 AM
hello all, I have just about everything I need for my GTRS project I have an AWM so small port head right now. IN the junk yards around me there has been a lot of AEB heads coming and going and im sure I could find one in good shape to pull for my build. I think it would be about $100-150 from the yard and I will be doing the work so man hours ect.(most likely have a shop check out the head for me just to be safe)
Would it be worth the time and money on a small BT like I have or no? PS my AWM only has 90k

Thanks

Avant Nate
02-20-2013, 09:19 AM
I'm going to say no.

howardfootball
02-20-2013, 09:33 AM
Don't bother with an AEB head right now.

Corrado_Guy
02-20-2013, 09:54 AM
In the big picture you are not really going to see much from the head when you compare this to everything else you will be doing. How much power will you really get from it? Most people turn to the head when they have topped out and don't really have anything left to mod so for extra work I would say leave it for now. Do your turbo upgrade and get this working first and when you have this all worked out you can think about the head. Do some research on the topic, a lot of people have had really luck with the smaller port head by cleaning it up. I was also told you can add a bit more meat inside the ports and clean it up and this really helps the smaller port heads flow as well.

nynoah
02-20-2013, 10:06 AM
It depends on whether you are stopping at a GTRS or it is just the first step towards bigger. I went with a fully built AEB head on mine because I wanted to build the motor right one time.

GOODBYNAAIR
02-20-2013, 10:08 AM
I have been searching and most what i was reading is more on cars running bigger turbos when they swap the head out. I am looking into it all that's why im asking.
I will look into cleaning up my current head.

Thanks for the input.

GOODBYNAAIR
02-20-2013, 10:13 AM
It depends on whether you are stopping at a GTRS or it is just the first step towards bigger. I went with a fully built AEB head on mine because I wanted to build the motor right one time.

the plan was a GTX28 ( I know big difference) but I found a great deal on the GTRS could not past it up. In buying the GTRS I thought It would be a good starting point do to this being my fist "biuld" of any kind. I would like to go larger at some point but not any time soon.

ZimbutheMonkey
02-20-2013, 06:46 PM
Given how scarce AEB heads are, I'd pull one (and more if the junkyards are close) Just be mindful of one thing, generally these cars are scrapped because they've tossed a timing belt or because they sludged. Either case will result in either the valves being damaged or the entire head being scrap.

But if you can get your hands on a good AEB head for cheap, why not? If you don't use it, keep it around in case you do go bigger than a GTRS elim. You'll thank yourself when you do. Also, if you do go for a full bore build, you can always build that head w upgraded valve springs etc... before you ever crack your existing engine open. Better yet, you can use it w a junkyard block and build an entire engine. Having done my build this way, trust me it's sooooo much nicer not to be crunched for time, especially if the car your building is your daily driver.