PDA

View Full Version : Which FREE version of vagocom do you use with a 3rd party cable?

4A Play
02-19-2013, 08:20 AM
Not looking for instructions on how to hack the full version.

I just want to be able to pull codes and was wondering which version of the software you guys are downloading. I went ahead and downloaded the november released vcds software but wasn't sure if that was the right packet. Haven't received my cable yet so I cannot test the functionality.

Don't know if it matters but I have. 98 a4 v6 q5.

ddillenger
02-19-2013, 08:33 AM
monoscan is free with very impressive features, the author is difficult to get a hold of to license it, but it works well unlicensed. As for VCDS, just download the newest version of LITE, and if you like it register your 99 dollar cable.

walky_talky20
02-19-2013, 08:34 AM
VCDS-Lite Release 1.2 (release date Nov. 19th 2012) would be the latest free version.

4A Play
02-19-2013, 02:56 PM
Cable came. But vcds cannot successfully find the com port. Guessing I need drivers from somewhere?

Auddii
02-19-2013, 03:25 PM
I don't remember installing drivers with my ebay cable. VCDS only works on com 1-4 from what I can remember and your computer is probably set it up elsewhere. Here's a guide that I used to change it.

Use the device manager its easier. Hook it into your car first.

http://www.cedrus.com/support/rb_series/tn1045_usbport_win.htm

98A4TurboAWD
02-19-2013, 03:36 PM
Cable came. But vcds cannot successfully find the com port. Guessing I need drivers from somewhere?

I had a problem with this as well. Here is what you will need to do.

First, if you are using Windows 7, it should be the 32 bit version. I have read that in some cases, it is necessary to install the software in the C: directory and not in the program files. I am not sure how true this is, but I am using Win 7 pro 32 bit and can run the software from anywhere, so no problems for me there.

That's the prerequisite, now this is what you must do to make it work.

1. If you got the same cable that I did, then it came with a little cd rom disc that has everything you need on it for a successful installation. First, extract the drivers to a location. I put them on the desktop.

2. Now when you plug the cable in, Windows will install drivers, but they may not be the right ones. Skip to step 4 and try to proceed with connecting to vag-com. If you can't connect, then it the drivers may not be correct. You will need to go into the device manager (right click on my computer > Properties > Device Manager) and find the port. Right click it and select "Update driver." Now when it asks how you want to find the driver, point to the folder that you made earlier. It should install the driver.

4. Now that the driver is installed, you need to set the correct port, in the case of Vag-com, it needs to be a Port 1, 2, 3, or 4. For me, it defaulted to Port 13. Now go back into the device manager, right click the cable > properties > port settings > advanced and then select port 1-4, whichever is available. For me, 1 and 2 were available.

5. Now with the cable connected to the laptop, plug it into the OBD2 port on the car and click "test." It should work just fine. Most people are not aware that when they click "test" that the cable needs to be connected to the car as well.

If you have followed these steps and it doesn't work, or you have windows 7 64 bit, then you will need to download virtual pc and windows xp mode, both of which are available from Microsoft for free. Once you install those, you will have a virtual xp machine within windows 7 and you can install the cable into that OS and it should work fine from there (within xp).

For what it's worth, I just ran the software that came on the disc. It works just fine. I haven't run the vcds-lite. Let me know if this works for you or not.

4A Play
02-20-2013, 07:00 AM
^wow. Awesome reply!

Only problem is I'm using a "surplus" tablet from work. No cd rom drive. Can I run the cd in my desktop and simply save to a flash drive and install on my slate via flash?

Sorry, computer n00b

bw86
02-20-2013, 07:11 AM
I've used the free vcds on windows 7 x64 without a problem. I too used the drivers that came with the cable.

If you don't have a cd drive, you can create an .iso of the cd on another computer. Install magicdisc on your tablet and mount the .iso you created.

c0r3y.af
02-20-2013, 07:16 AM
^Same. I run VCDS-Lite on Win 7 x64, with a random black $11 eBay cable and it works great. I registered it with the $99 license and it does everything I need it to.

If for some reason it doesn't work for you, try installing XP Mode within Windows 7 (basically, it creates a virtual machine) and run it that way.

BlackLock_A4
02-20-2013, 09:43 AM
Here is my reply so I can find this thread easier in the future. lol

98A4TurboAWD
02-20-2013, 10:29 AM
I've used the free vcds on windows 7 x64 without a problem. I too used the drivers that came with the cable.

If you don't have a cd drive, you can create an .iso of the cd on another computer. Install magicdisc on your tablet and mount the .iso you created.

That's good to know. Many threads out there are riddled with information saying that 64 bit doesn't work. Must have been another issue.

OP, you can copy those files from the cd rom to a flash drive, yes.

Avant Nate
02-20-2013, 10:49 AM
Using 64 bit as well, and just let windows install the driver. Using the blue ebay cable. I used to use the pirated vag-com, but with Windows 7 I paid for the $99 licensed version.

I second that your computer assigned it a com port other than 1-4

4A Play
02-20-2013, 03:16 PM
I had a problem with this as well. Here is what you will need to do.

First, if you are using Windows 7, it should be the 32 bit version. I have read that in some cases, it is necessary to install the software in the C: directory and not in the program files. I am not sure how true this is, but I am using Win 7 pro 32 bit and can run the software from anywhere, so no problems for me there.

That's the prerequisite, now this is what you must do to make it work.

1. If you got the same cable that I did, then it came with a little cd rom disc that has everything you need on it for a successful installation. First, extract the drivers to a location. I put them on the desktop.

2. Now when you plug the cable in, Windows will install drivers, but they may not be the right ones. Skip to step 4 and try to proceed with connecting to vag-com. If you can't connect, then it the drivers may not be correct. You will need to go into the device manager (right click on my computer > Properties > Device Manager) and find the port. Right click it and select "Update driver." Now when it asks how you want to find the driver, point to the folder that you made earlier. It should install the driver.

4. Now that the driver is installed, you need to set the correct port, in the case of Vag-com, it needs to be a Port 1, 2, 3, or 4. For me, it defaulted to Port 13. Now go back into the device manager, right click the cable > properties > port settings > advanced and then select port 1-4, whichever is available. For me, 1 and 2 were available.

5. Now with the cable connected to the laptop, plug it into the OBD2 port on the car and click "test." It should work just fine. Most people are not aware that when they click "test" that the cable needs to be connected to the car as well.

If you have followed these steps and it doesn't work, or you have windows 7 64 bit, then you will need to download virtual pc and windows xp mode, both of which are available from Microsoft for free. Once you install those, you will have a virtual xp machine within windows 7 and you can install the cable into that OS and it should work fine from there (within xp).

For what it's worth, I just ran the software that came on the disc. It works just fine. I haven't run the vcds-lite. Let me know if this works for you or not.

Running windows 7. 32 bit.

Saved all the software from the disk on the flash and then saved everything to the desktop. Went to browse to update the drivers and browse to the drivers folder in the software's folder. All I'm getting is "windows was unable to install your usb2.0-serial.

I uninstalled the port and reinstalled it. Still not able to download the drivers.

Help please!

bw86
02-20-2013, 03:35 PM
Try this driver http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM%202.08.28%20WHQL%20Certified.zip

Make sure to install as administrator

Dave Doolittle
02-22-2013, 08:32 AM
I've always had good results using freeware VWTOOL. You can download it from 12v.org
http://12v.org/audi/vwtool.zip

Wraith600
02-22-2013, 12:44 PM
I just recently got this running myself. I noticed when you do the driver install it's actually 2 drivers. So make sure that you do both drivers. If you go into your hardware manager you will see the device listed under com ports with a com port number listed. Most I find go to com 4.