PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Opinions

sedroCR
02-18-2013, 02:54 PM
Hey guys, I have a '98 A4 Quattro with about 165K. It has the PES G1 S/C kit with FMIC, Neuspeed chip, Forge exhaust, and its lowered with Bilstein shocks and H&R springs. Sadly i just lost 2nd and my first has the common tick to it (thinking its a chipped tooth) and my clutch is shot. Just looking for opinions on whether to rebuild or part out.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

coolgraymemo
02-18-2013, 03:46 PM
New transmission duh.

Don't part it out.

98A4TurboAWD
02-18-2013, 03:49 PM
People actually part out cars when the transmission goes bad?

sedroCR
02-18-2013, 04:10 PM
Well im your typical broke ass college student and need a vehicle to drive. I have the rebuild kit and know-how to rebuild it but no lift or place to pull the trans.

98A4TurboAWD
02-18-2013, 04:36 PM
Well im your typical broke ass college student and need a vehicle to drive. I have the rebuild kit and know-how to rebuild it but no lift or place to pull the trans.

So you have time and a place to dismantle a car, negotiate prices for months before/if you sell all the parts, and make trips to the post office to mail parts out?

I don't mean to sound rude, but if you have the know how, I don't see any reason why this couldn't be done in a weekend in a driveway. A lift is not necessary. I have done multiple trans removals on many different cars and have never used a lift.

Corrado_Guy
02-18-2013, 04:37 PM
You are going to part it out because you broke the transmission? Broke or not that is not a wise move, you have to pay to play. Either part it and buy a bus pass or start looking and find a cheap transmission and fix the fucking thing. Anyone here will tell you to fix it unless they want the parts off of your car. What you should be doing is asking people where they have done this sort of work when they don't have a place to do it, you will get some great answers.

GOODBYNAAIR
02-18-2013, 04:57 PM
I see B5s in the junk yard every time i go not a bad thing for parts for me but a sad day for the b5 gen. more and more are hitting the wall do to tbelts or small damage and people not willing to fix them. they are great cars and yes its a 12 year old German sedan it needs some TLC. If you can fix it!

98A4TurboAWD
02-18-2013, 06:12 PM
I see B5s in the junk yard every time i go not a bad thing for parts for me but a sad day for the b5 gen. more and more are hitting the wall do to tbelts of small damage and people not willing to fix them. they are great cars and yes its a 12 year old German sedan it needs some TLC. If you can fix it!

Lucky you, I've not seen one. Only places that have them here are the lots where they pull the parts and try to rape you on the price - unless $60 for a used coil from a 98 audi is fair market price lol.

One yard had a passat but of course the engine and transmission were both gone right away.

walky_talky20
02-19-2013, 05:01 PM
car-part.com

These trannies are cheap. Look them up under all the codes (but you probably want V6 gears). I actually bought the 5-speed for swap from....wait for it....West Michigan. Near Holland, I believe. And I'm from PA, lol. It was a long drive.