PDA

View Full Version : Sloppy Shifter

65vetteC6
02-16-2013, 05:19 PM
So I have been reading through a few threads regrading sloppy shifters. Mine has way to much side to side play. I was under the car today and it doesn't seem like its the linkage under the car though I do have JHM solid bushings that I was going to throw on the S4 sitting around. I also read about the 2 bolts that can cause problems with the shifter gates, is the only way to know by replacing the bolts?

My situation is I dont have any issues with getting into gear and there is no grinding. Heres a video of what I am talking about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC5aIfHakKE

Any suggestions on what this would be more specifically? There is a short shifter in the car but Im not sure which (not JHM) but I dont think that is the issue.

nynoah
02-16-2013, 05:41 PM
I would go under the car and make sure all bolts are tight on the trany to shifter points.

seanj130
02-16-2013, 05:54 PM
JHM is great.. Rebuilding with OEM stuff is way to expensive.

65vetteC6
02-16-2013, 06:19 PM
I would go under the car and make sure all bolts are tight on the trany to shifter points.

Yea I was under there, didnt see to much slop up by the u-joint it, all the play seemed to be at the shifter. The shifter and linkage have a secure connection too, I double checked that.

JHM is great.. Rebuilding with OEM stuff is way to expensive.

Yea, just installed their short shifter on the S, how similar are b5 and b7 shifter assemblies, I have an extra laying around.

GeoJoe
02-16-2013, 06:48 PM
Gotta hate sloppy shifting. Too bad Eurocode doesn't have something for earlier models. Feels so tight.

CELison
02-16-2013, 06:52 PM
spherical bearing in good shape?

65vetteC6
02-16-2013, 07:20 PM
Car has 200K on it so could probably use replacing. Would that cause that kind of side to side shifting in all gears though?

CELison
02-16-2013, 07:33 PM
Car has 200K on it so could probably use replacing. Would that cause that kind of side to side shifting in all gears though?

my spherical bearing had a ridiculous amount of play, causing the exact same problem

BaseDrifter
02-16-2013, 09:09 PM
You already know/have the solution. Install the JHM bushings.

If you are 96/97 as I am, you could replace the shifter rod with the u joint style so you can use JHM's bushings.

65vetteC6
02-17-2013, 04:04 PM
You already know/have the solution. Install the JHM bushings.

If you are 96/97 as I am, you could replace the shifter rod with the u joint style so you can use JHM's bushings.

I checked the Ujoints, does not seem like they are the culprit for the amount of play there is in the shifter. I will be messing around with it more tomorrow.

mysman
02-18-2013, 09:33 AM
Any suggestions on what this would be more specifically? There is a short shifter in the car but Im not sure which (not JHM) but I dont think that is the issue.

SS will help, but you probably have a worn out U-joint. Here's what I did, way back when the JHM solution didn't exist. It's held up perfectly for 10 years. A lot cheaper too:

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?p=1522171

65vetteC6
02-18-2013, 04:15 PM
I will have to try that out. I removed the old shifter, it was pretty worn out and installed a B7 one that I had lying around. Tightened things up a lot but there is still some slight play that I will have to source from under the car next weekend.