PDA

View Full Version : How do i program my key fob?? help!

FishEyee
02-16-2013, 11:03 AM
I tried everything... i tried searching for threads all morning and tried the whole one key in ignition and one key outside stuff... nothing seems to be working...
yester day while i was skateboarding at the skate park i slapped on the ground super hard and landed right on my key fob... then when i was leaving i noticed my key fob didnt work. so maybe i broke it? theres no visual signs of damage... i opened up the key fob and the batteries fell out but i put them back in...

i called the dealership over the phone and the parts guy insisted that my fob was broken. and told me i had to pay $130 for a new remote plus labor to program it.... any help would be greatly appreciated... heres a pic of the keys and fobs i have... hopefully this helps... thanks!! oh and btw i have a 1997 A4 b5 2.8L 12V quattro 5 speed

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss37/MoenOner/4086E726-8D56-4C2D-BC8B-9DF59239BC39-69102-00002751ED557590.jpg

NewDays
02-16-2013, 12:27 PM
Sounds like you definitely broke it if nothing is working to program it. $130 really isn't too bad, but it obviously isn't a must if you don't care for a key fob all that much.

Seerlah
02-16-2013, 04:15 PM
Get a remote on ebay for cheap, and keep the fob. Make sure you pick up the correct one. I'm in the same boat as mine just randomly won't reprogram after the battery dies. Funny thing is I can get the blinkers to flash during the process. But can't get the remote to unlock my doors. I know my central locking pump is leaking, so that may also be the problem. Might try replacing that first. As for programming, here are 2 ways.

key in ignition

You need both of your switchblade keys to re-program them, you can program up to five switchblade keys:

Take the key you do not want to program (if it already works) and put it in the ignition. Turn it one click forward.

Close and lock the drivers door with the second key with the window down (you can also do this from the inside of your car).

On the second key (the one in the drivers door) press the 'UNLOCK' button ONCE only, the lights will flash on the car, but the doors will remain locked

With the second key still in the drivers door, unlock then lock the door again.

Pull the key from the slot and also take out the key out of your ignition and than test the remote functions.

Repeat for second key fob / switchblade / key whatever you want to call it !!! Enjoy!!

You might end up doing it a few times to get the hang of the procedure so its all a smooth one step type of thing and the comp will learn it! NOTICE if you are too slow / too fast this will not work!!

Then procedure for Vag Com

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/71439-ALL-Remote-programming-with-VAG

FishEyee
02-16-2013, 10:47 PM
Sounds like you definitely broke it if nothing is working to program it. $130 really isn't too bad, but it obviously isn't a must if you don't care for a key fob all that much.

i hope not... i slammed pretty hard on the remote.. haha i probably crushed the internals but there doesnt seam to be anything broken on the inside... im just using the 2nd key fob for now but i hear you can upgrade from the remote i have to the switch blade style remote... thats just what i heard tho idk if u can really do that

Get a remote on ebay for cheap, and keep the fob. Make sure you pick up the correct one. I'm in the same boat

ohh i see... damn dude i thought the key in the ignition was supposed to be on the "ON" position... im going to try it on the accessory position tomorrow... if it doesnt work ima wait to hear from the guys on audi forums... theyre saying i can buy the switchblade style key fob and make it work with my car... idk about that tho..

Vierings
02-16-2013, 11:08 PM
I have a remote like yours and a switch blade for my 97. I do t see why you couldn't replace it with a switchblade for yours.

Vierings
02-16-2013, 11:13 PM
What I did to program my switchblade was one key and the new one in the door. Ignition on. Turn the key in door to lock. Hold the lock button on the remote till the indicators flashed. Then I tested it.

FishEyee
02-16-2013, 11:16 PM
ohh shit nicee... so if i buy that switchblade key fob thing do i need a specific one? do i need to buy one from the dealership or can i just get one online?

Vierings
02-16-2013, 11:23 PM
There is a lock smith close to me that I bought mine from. Mine has the trunk pop button but obviously it's not programmed.