PDA

View Full Version : Removing lock carrier on automatic

Auddii
02-15-2013, 07:19 PM
So I'm removing the front end from my car and I have everything else disconnected except now I realized that I have transmission cooler lines left. I would really like to remove the carrier to do my timing belt. Is it possible to disconnect these lines without losing all my tranny fluid?

1.8t quattro auto

walky_talky20
02-15-2013, 07:56 PM
I would recommend not disconnecting them. They quite likely have not been touched in 100k+ miles, so they may not come apart easy and you take the risk of having issues with leaking after re-connected. And if it leaks there is no "low fluid" light. It will just start slipping and the trans will be junk before you figure out what is happening.

If you choose to do it anyway, you will lose some fluid when disconnecting. A few cups, if that. Even still, you should top off the fluid using the proper procedure after you finish the t-belt service. Not an altogether simple process. So I would highly recommend you just move the carrier to "maintenance position" and leave it at that. It is really not necessary to remove the carrier.

My car had these same annoying cooler lines on it, too. I 5-speed swapped it and now I don't have to worry about them anymore. I actually had to cut the lines as the disconnect fittings were rusted solid at 170k.

contrldsub
02-15-2013, 08:00 PM
i just took the lines out. i lost about 2oz of fluid and they were fine. 118k miles.

i didnt replace the O-rings when i put them back in but i did put some vasoline on them to get them back in easily and seated fully.