PDA

View Full Version : Coolant leak - front drivers side

98A4TurboAWD
02-15-2013, 03:40 PM
Drivers side, front of car, right underneath the bumper.

I saw no hose leaks, etc. Give me the benefit of the doubt that a hose is not leaking. Also give me the benefit of the doubt that it is coolant. I run the green stuff, and it's green, so I know it's coolant.

History:

When I first got the car and finished working on it and got it running, it did the same thing. I saw no hose leaks, etc. I assumed my radiator was bad, so I started pricing them out, emailing local places that may have one, etc. Eventually it stopped. Didn't leak, and the fluid level was good at the tank.

Well, my coolant flange started leaking, so I fixed that today and topped off the coolant.

When I reached my destination, there was the leak again. I got home, and it is no longer leaking, and the fluid level in the tank is fine. I did overfill it, that much I know.

So I'm wondering, if this car is overfilled, will it leak out from somewhere?

It has done this both times I over filled the tank. I have searched and couldn't find anything about a drain where overflow goes, so I am not sure what's going on.

As I said, it's fine now. It appears that it just leaked out what it needed to leak to be at a normal level. Is this normal? And where the hell is it coming from?

crunchie
02-15-2013, 05:32 PM
pretty sure coolant will run down the bottom of the overflow tank if its too full. if you take the filler cap off and have a look at the filler hole, the section where the cap threads into is more or less a passage for coolant to escape and run down the outside of the bottle.

may be worth having a look to see of that's your leak area.

98A4TurboAWD
02-15-2013, 06:15 PM
Nope, just leaks out of the radiator itself somewhere. No hoses related to coolant are leaking and nothing under the hood is leaking. It's just the front bottom of the radiator on the drivers side. It's really weird.

crunchie
02-16-2013, 01:48 AM
strange indeed! busted radiator core perhaps?

i suppose if you can't pinpoint the leak it may be worth finding someone with a coolant pressure tester to suit the overflow tank filler. I've only ever seen/used ones that attach to the radiator cap. anyone know if there's one suitable for audi/vw applications?

98A4TurboAWD
02-16-2013, 07:43 AM

i suppose if you can't pinpoint the leak it may be worth finding someone with a coolant pressure tester to suit the overflow tank filler. I've only ever seen/used ones that attach to the radiator cap. anyone know if there's one suitable for audi/vw applications?

I just assumed it was some sort of overflow that ran down out the front of the car. Whatever it is, it's done it both times I filled up and then stopped.

BlackLock_A4
02-16-2013, 12:25 PM
Lower radiator hose. Mine was leaking the other day right where it meets the back of the radiator (o ring). I would replace the coolant sensor o ring as well.

98A4TurboAWD
02-16-2013, 01:06 PM
Lower radiator hose. Mine was leaking the other day right where it meets the back of the radiator (o ring). I would replace the coolant sensor o ring as well.

Nope, dry. All hoses are dry and it's not coming from there.

It isn't leaking at all now. Now that the level is normal it's fine.

98A4TurboAWD
02-20-2013, 01:17 PM
Started to leak again today. I could not pin point the leak so I pulled the front bumper off. It was still not visible but I could see it was coming from the very bottom of the radiator, or somewhere along the side. I could see with the bumper off that it wasn't coming from any hoses or where the hose connects.

Once I pulled the radiator I could see where it was coming from and it was coming from the radiator. It has a pinhole leak. When sludge forms, it doesn't leak or slows it greatly. After a while, the sludge breaks loose and it begins to become visible.

hanzy
02-20-2013, 08:44 PM

Of course there is.

Invaluable tool.

contrldsub
02-21-2013, 04:55 AM
there is a set from harbor frieght. i have this set, worth every penny

http://www.harborfreight.com/radiator-pressure-tester-kit-69258.html

98A4TurboAWD
02-21-2013, 01:36 PM
I put in a radiator from an 04 Passat today. The junkyard had it pulled and ready to go and also pressure tested it while I watched.

I'll tell you what, it's laughable that Audi calls those connections at the radiator "Quick" connect. There is nothing quick about it, as both were seized on, and getting them back on was a pain in the ass. I actually had to disconnect the entire front end to get the bottom hose back on - I saw no other way.

I figured out that I needed to pull the seals out and clean the plastic and rubber seal. The seals were in good condition, but were just sticky. It's obvious that the coolant in this car was never changed. A good clean with an old toothbrush, and some oil on the seals, and they slipped on a lot easier.

Oh and bleeding all the air out of this car took forever. I probably burned a gallon of gas. There was so much air and so many bubbles.

All is well in the world now, ready for a road trip tomorrow.

BlackLock_A4
02-21-2013, 11:07 PM
All is well in the world now, ready for a road trip tomorrow.

Glad you got everything figured out. Good luck on your 3K trip! lol

98A4TurboAWD
02-22-2013, 04:59 PM
Glad you got everything figured out. Good luck on your 3K trip! lol

Arrived in Jersey a couple hours ago, and man, this car is great. Perfect for the tight parking here just outside of New York City.

23 MPGs for the first 330 miles, and in arriving, I have a half a tank reading on the gauge and 280 miles on the dash. So apparently the second half of the trip was much better. Must have been the fact that I got out of the sleet and snow storms, and out of the 5" of snow that was all over Ohio.

Man Ohio sucks! I'm guessing I got closer to the 28-30mpg mark on the second half.

I stopped at a PA station called "Sheetz" and filled up there. Maybe that's the secret :)