PDA

View Full Version : Possibly the dumbest thing I could have done...

Collin9338
02-15-2013, 11:11 AM
So about a week ago when it was snowing heavily here in southeastern PA I decided to go to a relatively empty parking lot and slide around with a friend against my better judgement I let him drive for a little and he ended up crashing into one of the 3 or 4 poles in this lot... It didn't seem that we hit the pole that hard but the damage is questionable, I smashed my light but didn't break the bulbs so it still works. My fender is crushed and my steering wheel is closer to a quarter p a turn to the left while my wheels are straight and these are pictures of how my windshield washer fluid bay is cracked, anyone know if that whole piece is normally angled down like this? It scrapes my wheel now when I go over bumps and I'm still trying to figure out the while Alignment thing...http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/16/vyta5e8e.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/16/avedu8ep.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/16/uqypyhav.jpg

nizmosx
02-15-2013, 11:27 AM
Ouch man, sorry to hear.

A4 Quattro
02-15-2013, 12:22 PM
Sorry to hear about it but at least no one was injured. I think that best buddy of yours owes you some money.

melomandn
02-15-2013, 12:37 PM
Exactly why I dont let anyone else drive my car.

Did the wheel hit the pole? it looks like its sitting a little too far forward, maybe just the pictures though.

Scientist
02-15-2013, 12:44 PM
^^ Let it be a lesson to the OP.

Artiemas
02-15-2013, 02:40 PM
The wheel hit the pole, and your alignment is off. A hit a curb with my front driver on an on-ramp on a highway and It was wet. No damage, but I do have to cock my wheel a little. You probably bent a control arm (maybe, you said you didn't hit it too hard.)

Or, you need new TREs. I don't know, take the wheel off and look. It could just be a simple "Lets go to the alignment shop and get re-aligned."

The washer resorvior can be fixed with some putty or whatever you choose to fill the crack with.

Corrado_Guy
02-15-2013, 05:57 PM
You're lucky, the damage isn't too bad so it shouldn't be too hard to fix. You will need a bumper cover, headlight, fender, bumper slider, and there may be damage to the rad support, left apron, and the part the bumper slider attaches to. The steering is most likely a tie-rod or control arm but if you tweaked the steering you will want to check the wheel bearing as well. If the car doesn't pull really hard you may be able to get away with just an alignment but make sure to check the front suspension and steering for more damage. You can get the washer tank out by removing the fender liner and wiggling it out, you have to do this to get the ABS module. You will want to check the intercooler lines and make sure none of that is damaged either.

Collin9338
02-17-2013, 02:05 PM

Did the wheel hit the pole? it looks like its sitting a little too far forward, maybe just the pictures though.

The wheel hit the pole, and your alignment is off. A hit a curb with my front driver on an on-ramp on a highway and It was wet. No damage, but I do have to cock my wheel a little. You probably bent a control arm (maybe, you said you didn't hit it too hard.)

Or, you need new TREs. I don't know, take the wheel off and look. It could just be a simple "Lets go to the alignment shop and get re-aligned."

The washer resorvior can be fixed with some putty or whatever you choose to fill the crack with.

You're lucky, the damage isn't too bad so it shouldn't be too hard to fix. You will need a bumper cover, headlight, fender, bumper slider, and there may be damage to the rad support, left apron, and the part the bumper slider attaches to. The steering is most likely a tie-rod or control arm but if you tweaked the steering you will want to check the wheel bearing as well. If the car doesn't pull really hard you may be able to get away with just an alignment but make sure to check the front suspension and steering for more damage. You can get the washer tank out by removing the fender liner and wiggling it out, you have to do this to get the ABS module. You will want to check the intercooler lines and make sure none of that is damaged either.

hey everyone thanks for the input i know I'm kinda late... im really hoping that i didnt bend my lower control arms as i just put brand new ones on, i cannot remove my wheels because of a complication mention in a thread that i started a week or two ago... im going to look into a wheel alignment and replacing the fender and bumper. there is no hope for fixing the wiper fluid tank now as my tire has completely worn through it... i may have to ride around like this for a while. i have a few photoshoots and a wedding comeing up, I'm hopeing that this will be enough to cover the damage, if not im selling the car and saving up to buy another from someone on here, so if anyone knows of anyone selling a good condition Stock or tuned a4, b5 please let me know haha preferably the sedan.

Seerlah
02-17-2013, 02:11 PM
That damage does not look much at all to fix. I would make that person who crashed it pay for the damage, or at least partial (damn near close to whole). Luckily that stuff can be easily fixed with parts from people parting their car/junkyard treats.

BaseDrifter
02-17-2013, 02:19 PM
That damage does not look much at all to fix. I would make that person who crashed it pay for the damage, or at least partial (damn near close to whole). Luckily that stuff can be easily fixed with parts from people parting their car/junkyard treats.

This.

It definitely looks worth fixing.

Collin9338
02-17-2013, 02:54 PM

that will NEVER happen again i have learned my lesson

Collin9338
02-17-2013, 02:56 PM

the person who did it isnt really in a position to pay for it... but trust me i will find a way to have it made up to me, an as far as the damage im just worried about why the wheel is touching the wiper fluid tank...

SinCityA6
02-17-2013, 03:13 PM
the person who did it isnt really in a position to pay for it... but trust me i will find a way to have it made up to me, an as far as the damage im just worried about why the wheel is touching the wiper fluid tank...

This is what comp/collision is for. Are you fully covered on insurance? If so, file a claim and have "the friend" pay your deductible.

Collin9338
02-17-2013, 03:19 PM
This is what comp/collision is for. Are you fully covered on insurance? If so, file a claim and have "the friend" pay your deductible.

no i am a college student, a civil engineering major, and a photographer, i work in retail and with the major that i have i do not have time to work nearly enough to pay for full coverage(or this damage at the moment) haha, the rest of my money lately has gone to my camera (almost worth more than my car), so once i have everything i need with that ill focus on my car (big plans). or just buy one that has a better start than mine.

Seerlah
02-17-2013, 03:45 PM
I would personally take this time to swap out your control arms if you have not already, nor know the last time they were changed. As someone already mentioned, you more than likely bent one of these components. I doubt it is your strut/spring or your upright, though is still a possibility. And you can pick up the bumper, fender, and headlight for cheap. Get an alignment when done, and there you go. If you can wrench, this can easily be fixed for around the $500 mark (control arm kit $200, bumper $100, headlight $75, fender $75, alignment $100, windshield fluid tank $10). That would be the price of the deductible for many, without the spike in your premium.

Here is where you should start to look for parts...used [cool]

http://forums.fourtitude.com/forumdisplay.php?529-A4-S4-and-RS4-(B5)-Parts

Then pick up the full CA kit from here.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/336019-Official-FCP-Groton-Control-Arm-Kit

SinCityA6
02-17-2013, 08:29 PM
no i am a college student, a civil engineering major, and a photographer, i work in retail and with the major that i have i do not have time to work nearly enough to pay for full coverage(or this damage at the moment) haha, the rest of my money lately has gone to my camera (almost worth more than my car), so once i have everything i need with that ill focus on my car (big plans). or just buy one that has a better start than mine.

I'm sorry to hear that. That sucks! I hope it all works out in the end. I just have this quote in my head right now "you gotta pay to play".

AnotherMonday
02-17-2013, 08:51 PM
Crazy. I had nearly the exact same thing happen to me recently. Was coming down an off-ramp during heavy rain and went into a slide. Over-corrected and jackknifed my rear over a soft median. Two separate shops told me the rear passenger control arms were bent and the driver side rear was shifted out.

Basically, I'm in the same position as OP. Limited insurance, college-student, photographer, limited funds. My question, though, would it be smarter/cheaper to replace the damaged control arms with OEM used or buy new? And should I replace both sides at the same time or just the damaged side?

flynnr
02-18-2013, 04:28 PM
Guaranteed that is totaled if you make an insurance claim.

dowsett6
02-18-2013, 05:12 PM

the fender is bent back where the bumper snaps are. its pushing the washer tank backwards towards the wheel as well as the fender liner. you can tell looking at the intercooler that it is leaning more than usual. you should be able to just pull the fender back out with your hands to get the insides more straight again

Collin9338
02-18-2013, 09:12 PM
the fender is bent back where the bumper snaps are. its pushing the washer tank backwards towards the wheel as well as the fender liner. you can tell looking at the intercooler that it is leaning more than usual. you should be able to just pull the fender back out with your hands to get the insides more straight again

thanks for this, ill see what i can do about the washer tank, but what about the intercooler?

Scientist
02-19-2013, 08:44 AM

What's this? His sister is hot?

dowsett6
02-19-2013, 06:44 PM
thanks for this, ill see what i can do about the washer tank, but what about the intercooler?

it just snaps into a metal holder at the top, you should be able to bend that by hand as well. it isn't that thick of metal