PDA

View Full Version : 99 Passat 1.8t question

woolveren
02-13-2013, 11:13 AM
Hi All,

I know this question is not valid in audizine but since B5 platform is same for both passat and audi, I just thought of posting this here..

I am asking this question for my colleague. His car(99 passat 1.8t) has the annoying sunroof issue of getting opened and closed by itself at times. And recently he left the car outside with sunroof open and it rained heavily after that. Water got into the backseat and the floor around half inch in height. He then dried it up before starting the car again. Everything seemed working fine until he found out that none of the door window switches(on all doors) and the sunroof buttons are not working. But the central locking system works fine.

So am just wondering whether B5 audi and passat share similar electrical wiring/ components? If so, what will be a better place to start looking to find the issue with the switches?

Thanks in advance..

1999blacka4
02-13-2013, 11:21 AM
Dad had same problem in his 02 a4. May sound wierd or stupid but seriously once you shut the car off, turn the key to the on position and then off real quick. Worked for him. Good Luck!

woolveren
02-13-2013, 01:05 PM
Dad had same problem in his 02 a4. May sound wierd or stupid but seriously once you shut the car off, turn the key to the on position and then off real quick. Worked for him. Good Luck!

You mean to try operating window buttons while doing this process OR just after you turn it on and off?

walky_talky20
02-13-2013, 01:26 PM
As far as I know, the B5 Passat is entirely different when it comes to the windows/sunroof and locking systems. They use a "comfort control module" (AKA: "Central Convenience Module" or "CCM") which is known to be troublesome (mostly due to moisture issues) and is located beneath the driver's feet. AKA: worst placement ever. You can connect to it with vag-com to see if there are faults stored (ie: short to this, short to that, etc).

When you say he "dried it up", I hope you mean that he pulled all the seats and carpet out of the car for several days and got every spec of water out. I suspect he did not, and water has reached the comfort control module and shorted it out and/or corroded the harness connections to crap - thus causing all of his issues. It is quite likely that the original phantom sunroof issue was caused by the beginnings of a moisture-related CCM failure.

You can have him search google and/or PassatWorld. Due to the Passat-specific nature of the CCM issue, you won't find much help on AZ. That said, my basic plan of attack would be:
- Check CCM for codes
- Check CCM area for water ingress/corrosion
- Rip out seats and carpet. Tear that car UP (son?).
- Dry out everything. Dry it REAL good. That carpet should be crispy.
- Clean CCM harness connections.
- Obtain a "numbers matching" CCM module from ebay/car-part
- Install is reverse of removal. Maybe throw in a bunch of those Silica Gel packets under the carpet for good measure.
- Drop that thing like it's hot, before any other symptoms arise.

revolution337
02-13-2013, 02:19 PM
Maybe throw in a bunch of those Silica Gel packets under the carpet for good measure.

Wait, I thought you were supposed to eat those.

walky_talky20
02-13-2013, 02:23 PM
Wait, I thought you were supposed to eat those.

I know, right? I give them out at Halloween.

1999blacka4
02-14-2013, 06:23 AM
I mean just turn it off. Its like the first time he shut the car off it was not really off so he had to do it twice.

woolveren
02-15-2013, 07:09 AM
When you say he "dried it up", I hope you mean that he pulled all the seats and carpet out of the car for several days and got every spec of water out. I suspect he did not, and water has reached the comfort control module and shorted it out and/or corroded the harness connections to crap - thus causing all of his issues. It is quite likely that the original phantom sunroof issue was caused by the beginnings of a moisture-related CCM failure.

Thanks for all your inputs.

As you guessed, he didn't dry the car for days. :) Just used a blower for one day or something and turned it ON. Anyway, I will tel him to follow your plan of action.

I had my cruise control got working again when I followed your steps in the past.. So am expecting the same here too. [rolleyes]

walky_talky20
02-15-2013, 08:36 AM
I had my cruise control got working again when I followed your steps in the past.. So am expecting the same here too. [rolleyes]

So much pressure!