PDA

View Full Version : used oil analysis: Shell T6 5w40 10k mi, 00 Audi A4 1.8t ATW K04 chip

lucaq
02-13-2013, 09:36 AM
This is my first UOA. I changed the oil with the turbo last year. I had only had the car a few months and I did a Kinetic Exhaust Manifold, APR exhaust, Borg Warner k04 turbo (new), new oil feed line (just for safe keeping, coke buildup in the line is a problem in the S4, not so much in this car), valve cover gasket w/ tensioner gasket (head looked clean, no signs of sludge), New air filter (VW/Audi brand). Car had 120k on it, just over 130 now (I bought it with 118). Regularly boosts 18 psi and has a larger Side Mount Intercooler (SMIC). I run OEM oil filters only, not exactly sure what was on it, but it was probably Mahle. Stated oil capacity is 3.7qt, it was very low when I changed it (I was worried once I made this realization, I also thought that it would affect the UOA).

Comments from analysis tech:

Iron is a little above average in this first report for your Audi, but that's
perfectly normal considering the length of this oil run. Universal averages for the
1.8L Turbo engine are based on just ~5,900 miles on the oil, and since iron is the one
metal that should track with mileage, it makes sense to see it reading a little high in
this report. The other metals should stay pretty close to average levels regardless of
mileage, so everything here looks great. No contaminants were detected and the TBN was
good at 3.6. You could try12,000 miles next oil if you want. Nice!

Second column is universal averages

ALUMINUM 4 3
CHROMIUM 1 1
IRON 21 16
COPPER 5 7
LEAD 4 2
TIN 0 1
MOLYBDENUM 71 47
NICKEL 1 1
MANGANESE 0 2
SILVER 0 0
TITANIUM 0 0
POTASSIUM 0 2
BORON 16 51
SILICON 14 10
SODIUM 15 11
CALCIUM 1566 2141
MAGNESIUM 834 281
PHOSPHORUS 910 798
ZINC 1046 955
BARIUM 0 0

values should be
SUS Viscosity @ 210F 66.1 65-78
cST Viscosity @ 100F 11.91 11.6-15.3
Flashpoint in F 425 >375
Fuel % <0.5 <2.0
Antifreeze % 0.0 0.0
Water % 0.0 <0.1
Insolubles % 0.3 <0.6
TBN 3.6 >1.0

Believer
02-13-2013, 09:48 AM
This is very interesting. I didn't even know this kind of analysis existed! Would you mind sharing what this test costs and where someone can typically have it done at?

B-Time
02-13-2013, 09:54 AM
This is very interesting. I didn't even know this kind of analysis existed! Would you mind sharing what this test costs and where someone can typically have it done at?

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free-test-kits.php

lorge1989
02-13-2013, 09:55 AM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=engine+oil+analysis

OP great results!!!

lucaq
02-13-2013, 09:57 AM
$40 is what I paid plus $5 for USPS shipping.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free-test-kits.php (http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free-test-kits.php)
and I would recommend posting the results at BobIsTheOilGuy.com (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=3&page=1) as they usually have some additional insight. This is actually my first UOA, but it is a great way to see if you are beginning to have say, a headgasket leak, that hasn't yet manifested itself in a visible way. It is also nice to know that your 10k mile oil change intervals aren't hurting anything, and for what our oil costs, the $40 is the same price as an oil change, and gives you more insight into the engine plus the same "peace of mind" that one gets from frequent changes (same cost, more knowledge, same peace of mind).

lucaq
02-13-2013, 10:00 AM
OP great results!!!

Yeah, I was really happy since I haven't had the car for that long. Here is my post at BITOG:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2904913#Post2904913

walky_talky20
02-13-2013, 12:15 PM
10k OCI, eh?

I run this oil and change it at 3k! I guess I should save what comes out so we can run it in the Race Corolla's (<< yes, I am being serious. No, they are not quite as fast as the Race Camry's).

98A4TurboAWD
02-13-2013, 12:24 PM
I used to run my mobil 1 for 8k and just swap the filter halfway through.

There have been many reports I've read that show that many oils are good for upwards of 10k.

Nice results.

lorge1989
02-13-2013, 12:50 PM
3K is a COMPLETE AND UTTER WASTE of oil IMO. I do 5-6K on a BT. If you are on the stock turbo/block then I wouldn't hesistate to do 8K. After this report, and an oil analysis from my own car, pending results, I would do 10K all day. Oil has come a long way in the past few decades and most don't realize how much different it is, and the longevity of it.

lucaq
02-13-2013, 02:02 PM
3K is a COMPLETE AND UTTER WASTE of oil IMO. I do 5-6K on a BT. If you are on the stock turbo/block then I wouldn't hesistate to do 8K. After this report, and an oil analysis from my own car, pending results, I would do 10K all day. Oil has come a long way in the past few decades and most don't realize how much different it is, and the longevity of it.
I agree, and that is really the point of paying for this type of service, you can find out what exactly is a waste and when you might be pushing your luck. I never did one on my Golf ABA 2.0 and I regularly pushed it way over the edge (10k+ miles). I ran the big oil filter that our cars take on it and ran the same motor oil. I am sure it was fine, I got the car with 90k on it and drove it until I got rear ended by Becky the high schooler texting while driving at about 150. In the end, it is often a moot point, so why change at 3k just for the sake of it? I am quite sure that my little red golf 2.0 is serving great in Mexico right now just as she was when she got hit (the damage was minor, and I know she was sold at auction to someone that took her to mexico, my friend ran her through the auction for me).

I have a B6 with 194k miles on it, I will do a UOA on her once it reaches 8-10k miles and we will see. I have already done the valve cover and tensioner gaskets and the cyl head is clean as a whistle so I anticipate the same results. I'll update here once I get that one back in case you all are interested, just subscribe.

lucaq
03-07-2013, 08:07 AM
I used to run my mobil 1 for 8k and just swap the filter halfway through.

There have been many reports I've read that show that many oils are good for upwards of 10k.

Nice results.

The Hondas do the opposite, they leave the filter on for an OCI before replacing it. The guys at BITGO say that the filtering efficiency increases with the life of the filter (I would imagine until you reach saturation) and I think it is a reason some of them advocate longer OCIs. I am not an expert this is just what I read on BITGO. At the end of the day one should do what lets them sleep well at night, even those guys can't argue with that...

I am going to stick with 10k filter and oil. Easy to do, remember and seems rational and economical.

ElliottG
03-07-2013, 09:53 AM

Agreed...that's pretty much like throwing brand new oil down the drain (figuratively speaking).

I also use Rotella T6 and it is a great oil and great price. I do around 6-7k on my OCI's.

QuattroGinger
03-07-2013, 10:37 AM
i have always done mobile 1 0w-40 for last 8 years at 3k between me and my brother (PO). i switched to the T6 last change for first time when i did my FT setup. haven't really noticed a difference.

jvega21
03-07-2013, 05:31 PM
i have always done mobile 1 0w-40 for last 8 years at 3k between me and my brother (PO). i switched to the T6 last change for first time when i did my FT setup. haven't really noticed a difference.

i have run 3 different oils in my car. Mobil 5w-30, 0w-40 and Rotella T6. Idles much better with T6 and on first start up with T6 it was much quietter. Doesnt hurt that T6 is also like $10 cheaper.