PDA

View Full Version : Awm secondary air question

SteelCityMafia
02-13-2013, 08:37 AM
On an AWM, does the secondary air hard pipe that comes out of the combi valve just bolt to the turbo or does it run through it? Mine crumbled apart, and I'm about to just run a hose from the hard pipe down to the pump and I want to make sure first. I don't even have a cat, I just want it to be connected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddillenger
02-13-2013, 08:43 AM
Why no just remove it completely?

SteelCityMafia
02-13-2013, 08:48 AM
The nearest place that can code out the dtc is like 9 hours away. It's easier to just go to advance and grab a piece of hose and reconnect it for now.

ddillenger
02-13-2013, 09:03 AM
What's your vag ecu number? If it's one I can do quickly I'll do it for you and send you the file.

walky_talky20
02-13-2013, 09:16 AM
The hard pipe just bolts the turbocharger compressor housing for mounting purposes. The fresh air goes out of the pump and directly to the combi valve. It does not go through the turbocharger.

SteelCityMafia
02-13-2013, 09:29 AM
What's your vag ecu number? If it's one I can do quickly I'll do it for you and send you the file.

I actually don't even have a vag com or Anything. Thank you though!

SteelCityMafia
02-13-2013, 09:30 AM
The hard pipe just bolts the turbocharger compressor housing for mounting purposes. The fresh air goes out of the pump and directly to the combi valve. It does not go through the turbocharger.

Thank you sir! Exactly the answer I was looking for!

Corrado_Guy
02-13-2013, 06:07 PM
The SAI is used to push air into the exhaust system on cold starts to help get the cat up to operating conditions as soon as possible. The SAI pump pulls air out of the air box on the un-metered side of the MAF and then pushes it to the back of the head (on the 1.8T, don't know about the V6) right beside and below the plastic flange for the cooling system. Right at the head is the vacuum operated combi-valve and the hose from the SAI pump connects to the combi here. The combi-valve connects to the head and there is a port on the valve that is vacuum actuated and controlled by an solenoid valve on the bottom side of the intake system. There are passages inside the head that goes from the combi-valve to each exhaust port just behind the exhaust valves.

If you don't have a cat or want to get rid of the SAI system then remove everything except the solenoid valve under the intake and you won't get a CEL. I took a saw & file and made a basic block off plate and bolted this to the back of the head with shorter bolts and then blocked the vacuum lines and you are good to go. You will also need to block the port on the intake box as well so it doesn't suck air through it. I don't have a cat so I removed all of this stuff except for the solenoid and I haven't had a CEL because of it. I also ran my divert valve straight to vacuum so I don't use the N129 solenoid for it either so I got rid of the manifold these pulled vacuum from to help clean things up and simplify.