PDA

View Full Version : Did the snub mount change on the 2001.5???

Auddii
02-12-2013, 02:45 PM
Title says it all. All the snub mounts listed on ECS don't look like mine. Should I be buying a b6 mount? I haven't been able to find any answers to this by searching.

walky_talky20
02-12-2013, 03:09 PM
Pics. We require them.

Auddii
02-12-2013, 03:55 PM
https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=05351d3fbb&view=att&th=13cd0d0c7c3265f9&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=f_hd3pdhuu0&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P_yaOIA7H9cnOTGNtmSmfsE&sadet=1360713129766&sads=-DSDZ-3p-qJSpz8enD3vp0kNq3o

I could be completely retarded here but it just doesn't even remotely resemble the ones on ECS to me.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Engine/Mount/ES429460/
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Engine/Mount/ES1897530/

TConklin821
02-12-2013, 03:57 PM
I believe those are OEM replacements. You may want something like this

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Engine/Mount/ES523129/

Auddii
02-12-2013, 04:16 PM
Does upgraded snub mount give some what better performance? The oem might be shit but it is only 10 bucks. I'm not cheap I just don't like to spend more than necessary.

biketsai
02-12-2013, 04:59 PM
Does upgraded snub mount give some what better performance? The oem might be shit but it is only 10 bucks. I'm not cheap I just don't like to spend more than necessary.

OEM should be perfect if you aren't running a lot of power.

TConklin821
02-12-2013, 06:08 PM
If you run a lot of power expect the OEM one to wear faster and not be as stiff. The upgraded ones are more rigid and allow less fore/aft movement when accelerating, shifting or braking.

ianwpb
02-12-2013, 06:39 PM
I have experience with a few different snub mounts..

Stock sucks. Mine was falling apart when I took it out. Like Terry mentioned the forward/backward movement is very much effected by the snub mount and the stock allows for way too much movement for my taste. Although it's fine for stock no frills driving.

I bought the APR snub and it was a HUGE improvement over the stock snub. It was a night and day difference. Definitely recommend it if you still have the stock mount. It did add a small amount of vibrations at idle. $35-40ish.

Then I bought the 034Motorsport Snub mount with Cage. This is by far the best option in my opinion. It dramatically improved the feel of the car from the APR mount with the stock cage. This did add some noticeable vibrations at idle, but I also have 034 Street Density engine mounts so I'm not really sure how much it added. I think it cost me $65 + Shipping. Definitely worth it.

If you're interested, I still have the APR Snub mount in black, pm me if you're interested. It had maybe 10,000 miles on it when I got my 034.

Auddii
02-12-2013, 07:03 PM
I just decided to go with the APR. Thanks for the used offer but I was ordering other stuff so I might as well just get it all at once.

I searched around and it seems most people are happy with the APR as well.

Still curious as to why my stock mount looks to be shaped different from the oem b5. Maybe I'll get a better idea when I remove it.

M-Hood
02-13-2013, 06:13 AM
I just decided to go with the APR. Thanks for the used offer but I was ordering other stuff so I might as well just get it all at once.

I searched around and it seems most people are happy with the APR as well.

Still curious as to why my stock mount looks to be shaped different from the oem b5. Maybe I'll get a better idea when I remove it.

The only difference between a B5 snub mount and a B6 snub mount is the shape of the opening in the center. The B is a round hole while the B6 is a D shape.
The B5 snub outer shape can be different but really just changes how much of the snub mount ends up touching the snub housing and they all have to fit inside the same snub housing.

nynoah
02-13-2013, 10:50 AM
THIS!!!!!

"Then I bought the 034Motorsport Snub mount with Cage. This is by far the best option in my opinion. "

ianwpb
02-13-2013, 11:07 AM
THIS!!!!!

"Then I bought the 034Motorsport Snub mount with Cage. This is by far the best option in my opinion. "
It is truly a great product. It changes the feel of the car so much.

Thanks 034!

TConklin821
02-13-2013, 02:04 PM
I have the APR one now and it's awesome. No-lift feels so solid now. When I get the motor built next year I'm changing to the 034 w/ cage.

GOODBYNAAIR
02-13-2013, 03:42 PM
I got a Apikol mount for a really good prices thats why I did not go with the 034 one. do you "guys" think It would be worth the extra money for the 034? its not in the car yet. i could sell the apkiol. My gf has a 3.0 but I don't think it will fit right?? It would also work a $30 paper weight lol

http://www.3zero3motorsports.com/store/apikol-snub-mount-round-i-d

nynoah
02-13-2013, 04:04 PM
What is the point of a hard rubber mount if you have a stock cage that is all loose around it?

GOODBYNAAIR
02-13-2013, 06:39 PM
You make a valid point...

Mad Cow
02-13-2013, 08:37 PM
You guys seem to be forgetting the point of a snub mount, it's not meant to be load-bearing. It's there to prevent the motor from shifting too much, there still has to be some give or you're going to overstress the bracket and mounting points. If it's completely solid the motor will try to pivot on it because your mounts will still have give, unless you're running solid mounts in which case you don't need a snub anyway. In fact the mount isn't supposed to be touching the cage at all with the motor at rest.

crunchie
02-13-2013, 11:30 PM
You guys seem to be forgetting the point of a snub mount, it's not meant to be load-bearing. It's there to prevent the motor from shifting too much, there still has to be some give or you're going to overstress the bracket and mounting points. If it's completely solid the motor will try to pivot on it because your mounts will still have give, unless you're running solid mounts in which case you don't need a snub anyway. In fact the mount isn't supposed to be touching the cage at all with the motor at rest.

+1

i changed my worn out oem snub to an 034 poly snub w/ cage not long ago when i had the car in service position. I was a tad confused when i first saw the snub mount in its cage because there was a substantial air gap around the snub. I then realised that this is intentional and part of the design. threw me off at first because i thought it was meant to be a snug fit.

upon installation i installed the cage loose. then with the front end on and tightened down..i adjusted the cage so that the air gap stayed consistent all around the snub.

also the 034 mount required a bit of sanding to get on. I had to chuck the thing in the microwave for 40 seconds as well for it to expand enough to get it on. Would recommend this tip to anyone going to install the 034 item.