PDA

View Full Version : running cold?

contrldsub
02-12-2013, 05:42 AM
so for those of you that have read my epic cooling problem threads lately. i was on the interstate the otherday and my car started to run cold. wasnt getting hot in the least but it ran about half way to operating temp for about 45 min. when i got off the interstate it would come back up. its been fine since but i havent been on the interstate again. it was cold as hell that day and alot of slush and snow on the roads.

heres my question, is this because of where the temp sensor is located? caused by the fact that i dont have a shield under my car? it seems to make sense to me. anyone else run into this?

Believer
02-12-2013, 05:50 AM
Sounds to me like your thermostat is stuck open. I make sense of it likes this: While driving on the interstate your radiator is having air run through it faster. More air = more cooling. Therefore your coolant temperature, because it is constantly being run through the radiator, cannot arrive at full temperature. From my limited understanding the coolant sensor is an electrical device, reading the temperature from inside a closed system. I do not feel that outside temperatures should have an effect on what that sensor reads, but I could be dead wrong on that. I also have no read your other thread and you may have already replaced your thermostat in which everything I just rambled about is moot. Good luck.

schaefer921
02-12-2013, 06:07 AM
definitely your thermostat, same problem. mine was broken in 3 places

contrldsub
02-12-2013, 06:09 AM
definitely your thermostat, same problem. mine was broken in 3 places

its brand new. like 3 weeks old

revolution337
02-12-2013, 06:49 AM

Are you sure it's installed correctly?

schaefer921
02-12-2013, 06:56 AM
it could be defective but i had the same issue and mine was bad

omgwtfbbq!
02-12-2013, 07:26 AM
Thermostats are finicky little bitches. I replaced one that worked when I tested it with a new one and solved an overheating problem.

seanf86
02-12-2013, 08:38 AM

I had the same problem replaced the t stat and didnt solve anything, i chalked it up as too much airflow just removing too much heat from the engine bay, my temp guage goes down if im sitting in heavy traffic with the heater fan on high as well if its really cold or if im on the highway at 120+km/h

Avant Nate
02-12-2013, 08:58 AM
I had the some problem when I used a cheap Stant thermostat. At higher RPMs the temp would drop. Replaced it with Behr, no problem for years. The o-ring lip was more pronounced in the German one, so it might not have sealed properly.

contrldsub
02-13-2013, 07:08 PM
it was fine the last few days so im gonna leave it and chalk it up to some thing i flushed loose in the heater core got stuck in it and is now floating around in my motor somewhere.