PDA

View Full Version : Remote Starter Suggestions

MooseWhip
02-11-2013, 12:28 PM
I'm looking into remote starter's and found a groupon deal local for $165 Viper system installed, but there's an extra $200 fee for having "the chip in the key bypassed" for my car, but to my knowledge the b5's in US don't have the immobilizer and the guy refuses to acknowledge that my car uses a physical key. So I'm just gonna install one myself, any suggestions on a good brand or good unit? I know of viper and that's pretty much the only one I know. I'm just looking for the remote starter that has keyless entry, and would like if it has the ability to do the windows (up/down)

Dallas09
02-11-2013, 01:28 PM
Viper or any DEI brand is generally considered to be pretty good. I installed a Viper on m '99 that has lasted for over a couple years now (the only problem it has had is a stuck on LED, not sure why, and it came with a cheap remote, the newer ones seem to be better). The windows are easy to do because of the fact that the car has that feature built in anyway (so you can just hold the lock/unlock signal longer to roll the windows up or down).

TylerDSAudi
02-11-2013, 01:39 PM
Does anyone have a DIY on installing a remote starter or keyless entry. As I don't want to pay to get one installed as it costs an arm and a leg!

skemems
02-11-2013, 05:23 PM
It costs an arm and a leg for a reason, it can be complicated for someone who has never done it before.

Heres the wiring diagram for an 01 b5.

Audi 2001 A4 4DR Sedan
(Remote Start / Security / GPS)

Remote start / security / GPS
Wire/Function Colour Location/Description Polarity
PASSIVE ANTI-THEFT YES TRANSPONDER SEE NOTES
12 VOLTS- Red On bottom of fuseblock +
IGNITION - Black On bottom of fuseblock +
ACCESSORY- Yellow/black On bottom of fuseblock +
STARTER- Red/black On bottom of fuseblock +
STARTER 2- Blue At steering column
This wire is not always present at the ignition switch but when it is, it must be connected for remote start or the battery will not charge and the light will come on in the dash. A pulse at crank activates this wire and the wire then stays on. It can not simply be tied in to the starter circuit or the starter will grind on remote start. You must use a relay off the primary starter line to power this wire at crank.

KEY SENSE- Red or Brown/red Ignition switch harness +
TACH SIGNAL See notes
Use the GREEN/BLUE at pin-7 of the ECM located in the left rear corner of the engine compartment in a plastic casing. The signal from the injectors is very low voltage and will not work for most remote starters.

FUEL INJECTOR Opposite of Black/blue At any injector on engine AC
LOCK- Brown/white In driver's kickpanel -
These wires can also be found at the factory alarm under the back seat on the driver's side.

UNLOCK- Gray/white In driver's kickpanel -
This wire requires a double pulse to unlock all the doors, the first pulse only disarms the factory alarm. These wires can also be found at the factory alarm under the back seat on the driver's side.

DOORPIN- Brown/white In DKP or alarm module -
These wires can also be found at the factory alarm under the back seat on the driver's side.

HOODPIN Gray/red At pin or alarm module -

TRUNK PIN- White/black At light in trunk -
TRUNK RELEASE- Yellow/red At release switch in dash +
FACTORY ARM Arms with lock wire
FACTORY DISARM Disarms with unlock wire
BRAKESWITCH- Red/black At switch above brake pedal +
PARKLIGHTS- Gray/black & Gray/red At light switch harness +
Left & right parklights are independent and must be isolated with diodes, See TIP diagram

HAND BRAKE Brown/white At switch on base of handbrake -
HORN Brown/yellow At steering column -
CLUTCH SWITCH Brown/blue At plug above clutch pedal TYPE 2
DRIVER WINDOW UP Black/yellow At switch in driver's door REV POL
DRIVER WINDOW DOWN Yellow/blue At switch in driver's door REV POL
PASSENGER WINDOW UP White At switch in driver's door REV POL
PASSENGER WINDOW DOWN Black/green At switch in driver's door REV POL
LEFT REAR WINDOW UP Yellow/black At switch in center console REV POL
LEFT REAR WINDOW DOWN Black At switch in center console REV POL
RIGHT REAR WINDOW UP Green/yellow At switch in center console REV POL
RIGHT REAR WINDOW DOWN White/black At switch in center console REV POL
HEADLIGHTS Yellow At light switch harness +
REVERSE LIGHTS Blue/red DKP in harness to back of vehicle +
DIMMER Gray/blue At dimmer switch in dash +
VSS WIRE White/blue Behind instrument cluster
Pin-3 on the T32 connector. This wire can also be found at the ECM under the hood in the left rear corner, pin-20 on the 80-pin connector. The cruise control module behind the glove compartment also has this wire at pin-9.

Available Notes
Vehicle Notes
PLEASE NOTE: This vehicle is equipped with a TRANSPONDER passive anti-theft system. A bypass module may be available which will not require a key. Contact your supplier to find out. If one is not available to you, please see the appropriate security diagram before any remote start installation.

MooseWhip
02-11-2013, 06:08 PM
So do I need a immobilizer bypass module?

seanf86
02-11-2013, 08:00 PM
So do I need a immobilizer bypass module?

yes, I'm pretty sure just the 2001 b5s had immobilizers

FU5E
02-11-2013, 08:02 PM
cool, was thinking about putting one on, now I dont have to look up the wires.

MooseWhip
02-11-2013, 08:20 PM
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/82183-Can-anyone-confirm-what-year-Audis-have-immobilizers
This is what I thought, so I wont need a bypass module, should hook in without problem. I've been looking into the Compustar FT6200S so I can use their EZGO keyless entry, not sure if this module can do windows or not yet though

Dallas09
02-12-2013, 05:32 AM
The American 2001 dont have immobilizers. That starter should easily be able to do windows, you will configure an two auxiliary outputs tied to your same lock and unlock wires..

BlackLock_A4
02-12-2013, 12:37 PM
Be careful to not leave it in gear when you park! lol

I thought about this, but my habit is to keep it in 1st, or Reverse when I park - So I decided it's not worth taking the risk of me trying to be cool and starting it with my key. I almost never use the e-brake unless i'm on a steep incline.

Good luck!

TylerDSAudi
02-12-2013, 12:40 PM
Yeah that wiring diagram is pretty intimidating... My biggest fear is wiring it all up correctly for the starter. I always leave my car out of gear and have the e-brake on, but still I have a friend that got a start out it and they guy never put in the safety switch for it being in gear like he should have and the car ran into a school wall.

I just find some many places rape on install. I have a very good start for my car new in box and they still want $500 and need 2 keys?

BlackLock_A4
02-12-2013, 01:30 PM
I have a friend that got a start out it and they guy never put in the safety switch for it being in gear like he should have and the car ran into a school wall.

If you go to someone to get it done, that would be the first thing I would check. Better to happen in a controlled environment, than say... A school wall. lol

TylerDSAudi
02-12-2013, 02:16 PM
If you go to someone to get it done, that would be the first thing I would check. Better to happen in a controlled environment, than say... A school wall. lol

Yes agreed. I really could care less about the remote starter. It would be cool to have, but my main think I want it the after market keyless entry installed.

skemems
02-12-2013, 02:45 PM
If you are just looking at keyless entry, thats relatively easy to install. Just power wires, door lock wires, parking lights (if you want your lights to flash), horn (if you want the horn to sound). Thats pretty much it.

TylerDSAudi
02-12-2013, 04:53 PM
If you are just looking at keyless entry, thats relatively easy to install. Just power wires, door lock wires, parking lights (if you want your lights to flash), horn (if you want the horn to sound). Thats pretty much it.

Will that include the alarm being the aftermarket one and not the stock one?

skemems
02-13-2013, 09:08 AM
If you want an alarm with keyless its a couple more wires you have to hook up. doorpins, siren, and starter wires (for starter kill).
If just install the keyless entry, factory alarm will arm with lock and unarm with unlock wires. So factory alarm should still work.

TylerDSAudi
02-13-2013, 11:30 AM
If you want an alarm with keyless its a couple more wires you have to hook up. doorpins, siren, and starter wires (for starter kill).
If just install the keyless entry, factory alarm will arm with lock and unarm with unlocking wires. So factory alarm should still work.

Ok thanks, I'm going to look into it

Dallas09
02-13-2013, 05:32 PM
I wired mine so that the e-brake must be set for the remote starter to attempt to start. They do make remote starters designed for manual transmissions where you must activate the remote start each time before turning the car off, shut the car off with the remote while the door is closed and locked, the idea being there is no way it could be in gear if you stopped the car and shut the door with the car running.

BTW half of those wires you dont need to worry about. There is only really one wire required for the windows, you dont need to care about the key sense, parking/ exterior lights, trunk switch etc, hell tach sense isnt even necessary (but def preferred). its all pretty unnecessary. The way my remote start works is: disarm the factory alarm, start the car, relock the doors, if someone steps on the brake kill the engine.. No need to even connect the horn, lights, door triggers etc. and it is still full functioning with a full factory alarm..

Beech
02-14-2013, 07:46 AM
if you go with the compustar theres a green white loop on the brain just leave that in tact and you have to do the shut down sequence in order to remote start and not have to worry about the car taking off on you and i install both dei and compustar on a daily basis i would recommend the compustar

TylerDSAudi
02-16-2013, 06:04 PM
So if I wanted just to have the option of unlocking doors and an aftermarket alarm system is it easy to wire?
I just want to be able to unlock and lock my doors with an aftermarket remote and have a louder better alarm system. If I could get a starter too I would as that's a plus, but do I really need more keys? I hear most guys take the chip from one and glue it into the car and then just have the aftermarket romote to unlock and lock the doors.

Sorry if it's all over the place, don't really know how to word it all..

Dallas09
02-16-2013, 08:18 PM
Then basically all of the wires you need are located at the central locking module harnesses.. You could find all of the proper signal wires, and a constant 12v back there, assuming you mount the siren in the back of the car you wouldnt even have a reason to run any wires outside of the trunk.

TylerDSAudi
02-16-2013, 10:04 PM
Then basically all of the wires you need are located at the central locking module harnesses.. You could find all of the proper signal wires, and a constant 12v back there, assuming you mount the siren in the back of the car you wouldnt even have a reason to run any wires outside of the trunk.

Are these wires under the back seat?

Dallas09
02-17-2013, 09:46 AM
Some of them probably, Im not really sure, but what I do know is that they are your central locking module located in the trunk. Push your lock or unlock button and you will hear it back there.

MooseWhip
04-24-2013, 06:29 PM
If just install the keyless entry, factory alarm will arm with lock and unarm with unlock wires. So factory alarm should still work.

Everything works but my factory alarm doesn't arm, any ideas?

Edit:

I'd imagine it has something to do with the fact that if you hit the lock button on the door it wont arm the alarm when its locked. Since that's how I found the lock wire (with the button on the door) is there a separate wire that would be used with the remote to arm the alarm?

skemems
04-25-2013, 02:24 PM
Where did you grab the lock/unlock wires?

MooseWhip
04-25-2013, 02:49 PM
Drivers kick panel

Dallas09
04-28-2013, 02:43 PM
You want to use the wire for the door lock cylinder switch that signals the alarm to disarm when the key is turned in a door, not the rocker switch inside the car. Keep in mind that you probably wont disarm correctly now either.. youll also want to use the key cylinder not the rocker switch.

MooseWhip
04-28-2013, 02:56 PM
That's what I figure but the wires I have are the only ones that I could did that did anything with the locks

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

Dallas09
04-28-2013, 06:25 PM
The easiest place to find those wires WOULD have been at the central locking pump. But if you cant find them, I would just take the door panel off and trace the wires back from the key cylinder until you find a location where you want to tap them.