PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Q5 2.0 or 2010 X 35d, I cant decide!!!!

jayts
02-11-2013, 06:11 AM
So I have totally had my heart set on a Q5 for my wife, I was going to trade my Lexus in and drive her TSX for a while before I get my S4, we drove one and she liked it but then we went to a BMW dealer and drove the X5 35d and she loved that.

Now my wife drives about 80-90 miles a day, and the Q5 gets 20/27 and the X5 gets 19/26 but its diesel, the x5 feels much more powerful but I know they have about the same accelaration

Anyway I had planned to get the GIAC tune for the Q5, or I could tune the diesel as well, they diesel would then get 500lbs tq and 310-340 horsepower and "supposedly" get better mileage

We have one kid now and plan on having 1 more, live in Philadelphia but have a driveway and a really tight garage and parking spot

Anyway had an X5 and a Q5? I like both cars but the x5 feels a little too big and the Q5 feels a little too small.

Ahh I have no idea what to do!!!!

mr. zero
02-11-2013, 10:35 AM
Do the math. Calculate what percentage of the 80-90 miles is highway, and apply that against the EPA numbers, and come up with the number of gallons per year it will be. Then just multiply that by the average cost of diesel and premium gas. You'll be surprised at the numbers, because diesel is so much more expensive per gallon. I did the same thing when I was weighing the decision for 3.0T against a Touareg TDI Exec. Couldn't justify it, let alone the $10k+ premium for the TDI.

jayts
02-11-2013, 12:25 PM
Do the math. Calculate what percentage of the 80-90 miles is highway, and apply that against the EPA numbers, and come up with the number of gallons per year it will be. Then just multiply that by the average cost of diesel and premium gas. You'll be surprised at the numbers, because diesel is so much more expensive per gallon. I did the same thing when I was weighing the decision for 3.0T against a Touareg TDI Exec. Couldn't justify it, let alone the $10k+ premium for the TDI.

Pretty sure it will work out that the X5 will be more expensive, I am also torn based on the total package each car offers

VroomVroom
02-11-2013, 02:33 PM
I'm going to guess the one from Munich will be more expensive in running costs, and significantly more expensive in maintenance and repair costs. Not to impart too much bias, but I'd be really afraid of getting into a three-year-old BMW diesel. Aside from the frequent urea top-offs, it won't be long until the true word comes out on the durability of those catalysts. Again...not to paint a picture of doom, but if you're really leaning toward the X5, I'd recommend budgeting a significant amount to keep it happy. Not that the Q5 will offer rose petals and a gentle breeze, but in comparison.....boy howdy. Is there any chance you can take a look at a gas-powered X5, just for comparison purposes? Good luck...

jayts
02-11-2013, 04:41 PM
I'm going to guess the one from Munich will be more expensive in running costs, and significantly more expensive in maintenance and repair costs. Not to impart too much bias, but I'd be really afraid of getting into a three-year-old BMW diesel. Aside from the frequent urea top-offs, it won't be long until the true word comes out on the durability of those catalysts. Again...not to paint a picture of doom, but if you're really leaning toward the X5, I'd recommend budgeting a significant amount to keep it happy. Not that the Q5 will offer rose petals and a gentle breeze, but in comparison.....boy howdy. Is there any chance you can take a look at a gas-powered X5, just for comparison purposes? Good luck...

Thanks, this is the stuff I am looking to hear, I am looking for something that is reasonably reliable, I should never let my wife drive the X5

If I went gas then I would have to go 2011, I need a turbo, the low end torque is a must for me in an SUV

Now I have to work on the wife and get the Q5 back on her wish list