PDA

View Full Version : Regulators are dying!

crunchie
02-10-2013, 11:48 PM
so 2 days ago i go to use my power windows and hear an awful clunking noise and notice my driver's window having a hard time going down and back up. eventually it got worse to the point where it sounded like my windows were gonna fall out!

i then decided to pull the door frame off to investigate. having a closer look, i notice my green window clips are still intact and holding on to the glass just fine. I look around and find that one of the regulator wires has worked itself loose off the pulley. Awesome! (or so i thought) I reattached the wire and put my door back together.

the window worked perfectly until this morning. the clunking and scraping noises are back and I'm taking a guess the regulator wire has come off again. went on the interwebs to find more about the issue...surprise surprise! common issue -_-

so to all my fellow b5 owners out there, i have a couple questions:

1. have heard of people running into failure issues with aftermarket regulators. is my best bet OEM? Would prefer to save money if someone can recommend a good alternative.

2. Is there any way of telling if my motors are fine? or has anyone ever had a motor fail?

Any help appreciated!

Andrew

Jkucz86
02-27-2013, 03:54 PM
I'm in the same boat. Waiting for anyone to chime in

walky_talky20
02-27-2013, 04:41 PM
If the regulator is falling apart, that's what you need. The motor is fine.

AnotherMonday
02-27-2013, 08:33 PM
I'm in the same club. Got my regulator from ECS Tuning recently. Gonna attempt repair as I get time and daylight to coincide.

jvega21
02-27-2013, 08:43 PM
from what ive read and learned from the audi junk yard, the motors usually dont go out, the regulators will crap out. the cables will get caught, they might loosen up in the spindle, or the clips break,.

i got my regulator from autozone, didnt rivet it back in, just used some M5 nuts and bolts to hold it in., i went with the autozone one bc its a lifetime warranty., i used to work for autozone, and as long as you remember the phone number used to register the warranty, they will always honor it. if you get an old salty autozone guy that doesnt want it honor it, just go to another one and find a young guy that hates his job. i also get my brake pads from them, talk all the shit you want, i only paid for them once.

AnotherMonday
02-27-2013, 08:53 PM
from what ive read and learned from the audi junk yard, the motors usually dont go out, the regulators will crap out. the cables will get caught, they might loosen up in the spindle, or the clips break,.

i got my regulator from autozone, didnt rivet it back in, just used some M5 nuts and bolts to hold it in., i went with the autozone one bc its a lifetime warranty., i used to work for autozone, and as long as you remember the phone number used to register the warranty, they will always honor it. if you get an old salty autozone guy that doesnt want it honor it, just go to another one and find a young guy that hates his job. i also get my brake pads from them, talk all the shit you want, i only paid for them once.

What happens if the wire looks like its bound in the motor? Disassemble the motor and unwind? Or is it a lost cause at that point?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jvega21
02-27-2013, 09:42 PM
What happens if the wire looks like its bound in the motor? Disassemble the motor and unwind? Or is it a lost cause at that point?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

the cable shouldn't come in contact with the motor. If it came so undone from the spool that it did wrap and pinch itself with the motor, then take the regulator apart, unwind it from the motor and test the motor alone to see if it turns with no issues or funny noises then the motor should be fine. The regulator is shot

crunchie
02-28-2013, 01:36 AM
nice to see the thread brought back to life! :)

still yet to purchase new regulators but I plan on holding out a little while so I can grab a few more things to add to my order.

Anyone recommend against or had experience with Meyle regulators? The price sure is attractive.

jvega21
02-28-2013, 04:24 PM
no experience, but then again i got my replacements from autozone, it wasnt the cheapest, still cheaper than oem but guranteed lifetime warranty made it an easy choice

especially in Arizona where plastic pieces last as long as cake in a fat kids hands,