PDA

View Full Version : Oil in Coolant!

Toddkoppa
02-10-2013, 08:27 PM
2003 audi a4 Quattro. 3.0l. I have oil in the coolant reservoir. My father was driving it on the highway and wasn't getting any heat. Then the temp qauge went quickly up and the car over heated. The car stil runs smooth and I was able to drive it up on the trailer the next day. Could this be a HG? Or maybe oil cooler? It does have some combustible gases in the coolant when they tested it. This mechanic said I should donate the car to the Rawhide for a tax right off. I almost dropped him in the shop with my fist. Ay suggestions? I love my baby.

2.7taudi
02-10-2013, 08:46 PM
2003 audi a4 Quattro. 3.0l. I have oil in the coolant reservoir. My father was driving it on the highway and wasn't getting any heat. Then the temp qauge went quickly up and the car over heated. The car stil runs smooth and I was able to drive it up on the trailer the next day. Could this be a HG? Or maybe oil cooler? It does have some combustible gases in the coolant when they tested it. This mechanic said I should donate the car to the Rawhide for a tax right off. I almost dropped him in the shop with my fist. Ay suggestions? I love my baby.

Sounds like you did research. It'd either the oil cooler or head gasket. Leaning more towards the cooler as the HG are not one of the many failed parts on the 3.0. Lol.

Oh and you would get more help on the b6 a4 section. It has more traffic.
Sent from my HTC One V

Toddkoppa
02-10-2013, 09:00 PM
Having combustible gases in the coolant is not a definitive diagnosis for crack block or HG right? Or is it? One option remains is flushing the coolant system with detergent and replacing the oil cooler. Off course they want a quick grand for this.

DIY'er
02-10-2014, 12:35 PM
replacing an oil cooler is pretty easy if you dont mind getting your hands dirty, simply empty oil and coolant, remove oil filter and behind the oil filter should be a large/flat nut holding the oil cooler on. undo it and replace. it is an easy job (not worth 1000)

johnwilliam
02-21-2014, 05:10 PM
i have watter wetter in my system and i have noticed little spots on top of the coolant thought it was oil but.... i hope that all it is the water wetter

crazyquik22023
03-05-2014, 06:21 PM
Having combustible gases in the coolant is not a definitive diagnosis for crack block or HG right? Or is it? One option remains is flushing the coolant system with detergent and replacing the oil cooler. Off course they want a quick grand for this.

If you had a cracked block your engine would not be running and you would have oil all over your driveway. I would start with replacing the oil cooler since it is cheaper and easier than a head gasket. You can also buy a compression tester for around $25 and test compression. If you have a cracked head gasket you should have significantly lower compression on at least one cylinder and that would be the head that would need a new gasket.