PDA

View Full Version : Turbo priming

Seerlah
02-09-2013, 04:49 PM
I have my manifold and turbo out, having the t3 flanges milled flat (going gasketless). I checked my battery tonight and it is sitting at 11.4V. This should be enough juice for me to start the car (will also be jumped from other car), but not enough to prime the turbo then start the car. I am not in the mood to remove the battery and bring it to Autozone for a recharge, but will if I have to. My question is, would I be fine not priming the turbo before starting the car after it is reinstalled? I blew my turbo once and not in the mood to dish out money to replace the CHRA again if this will cause it to blow or fail prematurely. Any advice?

M-Hood
02-09-2013, 06:45 PM
You should be fine seeing that the turbo was already in the car. I have swapped the turbo in my car many times without priming it. Only way you would blow the turbo is if you went out and ran the turbo hard without it getting oil.

demonmk2
02-09-2013, 08:58 PM
Just to be safe pull the fuel pump fuse turn key and count to 15

Seerlah
02-10-2013, 05:20 AM
I stated in the original post that that I won't have enough juice for that. I usually crank the engine till oil come out the feed line, place it onto the restrictor fitting, crank a couple more times to make sure the turbo is oiled, then turn her over. But my battery is not juiced enough to do that and that is why I am posting this thread.

malanca
02-10-2013, 05:46 AM
Possibly a dumb suggestion but why don't you just simply charge your battery?

Dan[FN]6262
02-10-2013, 05:49 AM
You'll be fine. I've done this a couple dozen times. Lol

xdewaynex
02-10-2013, 05:56 AM
I had the same question when I had my Franken off for a couple of months. Everyone told me Id be fine, since it was already on the car. Id just take it for a short cruise, and get it circulating again.

2.7taudi
02-10-2013, 06:00 AM
6262;8433315']You'll be fine. I've done this a couple dozen times. Lol

That's promising.

Seerlah
02-10-2013, 06:00 AM
Possibly a dumb suggestion but why don't you just simply charge your battery?

Not a dumb question. And the answer is quite simple. Laziness! It is really the weather that is getting me like that. I hate working on my car in the cold.

demonmk2
02-10-2013, 06:15 AM
You don't have a set of jumpers you could use to suck some juice from another car?
Better to be safe then sorry..... I guess.

Seerlah
02-10-2013, 06:22 AM
That was the original plan. I think I am just going to get the battery recharged and prime it how I usually do. Sucks! Should have just removed it like 2 weeks ago.

malanca
02-10-2013, 07:09 AM
Oh I see... you don't have a charger so you'll have to take out the battery. Can't you borrow a charger or just get one for yourself? I assume everyone has a charger; overhere I've at least 3 of them lying around. Just hook the thing onto your battery, put on an extension cord and go back inside :)

M-Hood
02-10-2013, 07:19 AM
The CHRA isn't going to seize just because there isn't oil being fed into it when you first start up the car, not priming it when you first put it on isn't any different then when you go to start your car up every time seeing there isn't oil pressure in the line for the first few seconds anyway. Do you prime your car every time you go to start the car? No, so why would it be needed when you put the turbo back on.

98A4TurboAWD
02-10-2013, 07:24 AM
The turbo will be fine if you start the car.

Dan[FN]6262
02-10-2013, 07:30 AM
Thank you Mike.

ddillenger
02-10-2013, 07:33 AM
Lots of clearance on those bearings, you have no worries.

tenspeed
02-10-2013, 07:37 AM
You don't have a set of jumpers you could use to suck some juice from another car?
Better to be safe then sorry..... I guess.

You're going to be jumping from another car anyways. Hook up 15 minutes early and use the other car's alternator to charge your battery and prime the turbo.

Wet0willy01
02-10-2013, 07:43 AM
If you're jumping it from another car just prime it while hooked up to the other running car. Then plug in the coils or fuel pump, injectors or whatever your method of choice was the prevent it from firing, and start it up.

Dan[FN]6262
02-10-2013, 07:50 AM
or just start it up.

lorge1989
02-10-2013, 09:06 AM
I'd just hook up the cables, pull the injector clips, prime it quickly, then start it. Many are saying it doesn't matter, but its not a big deal at all just do it and give yourself some extra piece of mind....

2.7taudi
02-10-2013, 09:19 AM
If you're jumping it from another car just prime it while hooked up to the other running car. Then plug in the coils or fuel pump, injectors or whatever your method of choice was the prevent it from firing, and start it up.

I wouldn't pull the fuel pump because there is already some fuel in the lines and the car will fire, turn on for a few seconds and then turn off. I know because I did the fuel filter. It will turn on.... For a few seconds.

nynoah
02-10-2013, 09:20 AM
Laziness can cost a lot of money.

TConklin821
02-10-2013, 09:46 AM
Move to Florida, Mitch. Year round wrenching [wrench]

Dan[FN]6262
02-10-2013, 11:11 AM
I wouldn't pull the fuel pump because there is already some fuel in the lines and the car will fire, turn on for a few seconds and then turn off. I know because I did the fuel filter. It will turn on.... For a few seconds.

you changed your fuel filter? tell me more...

nynoah
02-10-2013, 01:26 PM
To let people know, the easiest way to prime the engine is the pull the ECU and and the plugs for both the injectors and the coil packs. Then prime the engine all you want. Hook it all back up after.

Mitch, a good investment to have is a battery charger. Even if you just get a crappy trickle charger/battery tender. I have one of those and a larger box that can quick charge. I am sure you could even find it used on CL.

M-Hood
02-10-2013, 04:54 PM
Laziness can cost a lot of money.

Yes but we are talking about a ball bearing turbo not dry rod/main bearings in a engine. There is no point in priming a turbo that isn't going to be spinning all that fast before the oil is pumped into the CHRA. It would take a very long time to damage the bearings, I know someone that had a kinked oil line that completely blocked the turbo from getting oil and it took 2 days of running it hard before it got damaged.

Do people prime their turbo when they take it out of the box and spin the compressor wheel? No. lol

Seerlah
02-10-2013, 05:10 PM
Mike's logic makes perfect sense. I dropped the battery off at Autozone anyways just because. Going to pick up a charger on ebay also. Already looked on Craigslist, and prices were not so agreeable with my pockets. I can get one on ebay for like $20 shipped. Thinking of picking up a jump starter too and carrying that in my car. You never know. There are actually lots of like 4 (500A) being sold for like $40 shipped. If people were closer to me, I would have asked for people to throw down and we all pick one up for like $10 a pop.

MiniBoost
02-11-2013, 02:02 PM
just start it and let it idle, it'll be fine