PDA

View Full Version : problem after disconnecting the battery

97_a4_1.8t
02-08-2013, 08:57 AM
yesterday i disconnected the battery so i can clean the posts because they had a slight build up on them. Was only disconnected for about a halfhour. Now when i pull up to a stop sign or red light my cars rpms drop down then bounce up. Also it basically stalled out on me twice because of this. car is 97 a4 1.8t fwd auto trans. I never had this problem before. i took a quick video when i pulled in the garage and then started it back up gave it a couple small revs and it died on me. no new codes have popped up. the only code i have is the p0705 for the neutral safety switch. I replaced it 2 years ago and now its acting up again. but the problem im having now is completely new and never experienced it before. in the vid i only gave it 3 short revs. you can see that the rpms drop them bounce up. the boost gauge is a little off, the needle sits a line or 2 lower than its supose to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG8uJy0eq14&feature=youtu.be
I dont have access to vag-com only a POS $20 code reader that my buddy has.

bw86
02-08-2013, 09:34 AM
Try this:
Put the key to the on position (but don't start it)
Leave it for ~10 minutes or so - you'll hear the throttle body making some noise.
Start it.

You might need to unhook the battery and leave it for 20-30min before doing what I suggested.

97_a4_1.8t
02-08-2013, 11:59 AM
Try this:
Put the key to the on position (but don't start it)
Leave it for ~10 minutes or so - you'll hear the throttle body making some noise.
Start it.

You might need to unhook the battery and leave it for 20-30min before doing what I suggested.

Thanks

I tried it first with out unhooking the battery and when driving it didn't drop rpms and then jump up like before but when I pulled in the garage I hit the gas a few times and it died. When I get back from class ill try unhooking the battery and trying the key in on for 10min with engine off.

xdewaynex
02-08-2013, 10:30 PM
Sounds like you need to do a throttle body alignment with the help of vag com. The process bw86 gave you, only works for cars with the drive by wire throttle body.

mykeg6
02-09-2013, 05:13 AM
Just keep on driving the car. Throttle will align by itself eventually.

ianwpb
02-09-2013, 07:15 AM
Sounds like you need to do a throttle body alignment with the help of vag com. The process bw86 gave you, only works for cars with the drive by wire throttle body.

Drive by wire or cable? Electronic or Mechanical?

bw86
02-09-2013, 08:42 AM

Really? I always thought it did something when I used to do it. Maybe it was a placebo. I'm DBC btw.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

xdewaynex
02-09-2013, 01:08 PM
The drive by cable/mechanical throttle body has to be done with vag-com. I was told differently before, but never got it to work, and vag-com does it on the fly. I also tried just driving it around, and it never fixed itself.

97_a4_1.8t
02-10-2013, 04:25 PM
have been driving around and nothing has changed. i need to find someone with vag-com thats not to far and wouldnt mind doing it for me.