PDA

View Full Version : My turbo - why I had no boost.

98A4TurboAWD
02-06-2013, 05:02 PM
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/537813_580137624483_1185655559_n.jpg

New turbo is on and it feels like a new car.

The nihilist who designed the one hex key bolt under the turbo that is near impossible to get to needs to be kicked in the balls.

There appears to be a lot of damage back there. I'm wondering if this suffered from some severe heat and that's what caused it. The cat appears to be find from where I could get my camera in to see, not all melted and solid, but honeycomb like it should be.

Or is this just a typical failure? Opinions?

seanj130
02-06-2013, 05:06 PM
Looks about right.. The cat will look fine anyways.. That could be the source of your heat. Although the cat will usually crack right at the flange if it gets too hott

98A4TurboAWD
02-06-2013, 05:12 PM
Looks about right.. The cat will look fine anyways.. That could be the source of your heat. Although the cat will usually crack right at the flange if it gets too hott

I think I'm going to beat the guts out of it this weekend.

seanj130
02-06-2013, 05:14 PM
I think I'm going to beat the guts out of it this weekend.

Easy does it.. use a hammer and a long screw driver to get it started. Wear a mask, that dust is NASTY

98A4TurboAWD
02-06-2013, 05:17 PM
Easy does it.. use a hammer and a long screw driver to get it started. Wear a mask, that dust is NASTY

I learned that the hard way years ago lol.

MiniBoost
02-06-2013, 05:23 PM
to be honest, just buy an ebay test pipe, i brought one cause i didnt want to hollow out the cat and turns out the last owner already did but i still put the test pipe on anyways and it sounds so much better with the test pipe since i have a full 3 inch exhaust

98A4TurboAWD
02-06-2013, 05:28 PM
to be honest, just buy an ebay test pipe, i brought one cause i didnt want to hollow out the cat and turns out the last owner already did but i still put the test pipe on anyways and it sounds so much better with the test pipe since i have a full 3 inch exhaust

I'm not spending another dime on this car unless I absolutely have to.

Turbwhistle
02-06-2013, 05:57 PM
I'm not spending another dime on this car unless I absolutely have to.

You could probably scrap the cat for the same price as the test pipe.

98A4TurboAWD
02-06-2013, 06:31 PM
Not here you can't. That test pipe is over $100. The cat being gutted would be more than efficient enough for my needs.

jvega21
02-06-2013, 07:24 PM
Its been discussed before many times. Gutting the cat yields nothing. The cat still has restrictive sizing as the in and output. Not to mention the odd shape will cause turbulence of the exhaust gasses. The test tipe or hfc is your best bet

nynoah
02-06-2013, 07:36 PM
For further reference. There are certain tools that I own that make working on the Audi tolerable. I have 6 in Allen key sockets with the ball end. That would be perfect to get to that bolt that you were talking about. The other thing is a full set of ratchet wrenches with a swivel at the head. Those things can get in some screwed up places pretty good.

98A4TurboAWD
02-06-2013, 07:40 PM
Its been discussed before many times. Gutting the cat yields nothing. The cat still has restrictive sizing as the in and output. Not to mention the odd shape will cause turbulence of the exhaust gasses. The test tipe or hfc is your best bet

Gutting a clogged catalytic converter that is causing excess heat by not allowing gas to flow will yield the desired effect of allowing exhaust gases to flow instead of backing up and causing poor running conditions.

If you are under the impression that I am looking for performance - that is not the case. This is a daily driver and I want to keep it stock, quiet, and reliable. Not looking for performance exhaust, specific exhaust tone, or any of the other benefits of modifying the exhaust.

98A4TurboAWD
02-06-2013, 07:43 PM
For further reference. There are certain tools that I own that make working on the Audi tolerable. I have 6 in Allen key sockets with the ball end. That would be perfect to get to that bolt that you were talking about. The other thing is a full set of ratchet wrenches with a swivel at the head. Those things can get in some screwed up places pretty good.

I have ratchet wrenches, adjustable ratchets, etc... I have never had a problem getting to anything BUT that one key. What you just said would have worked out perfectly, having the ball on the head. I have allens on sockets, and the individual keys. I wasn't able to fit anything but the key on the one, and it took forever for me to get it started with my fingers and then another 15 minutes or so to screw it in mm by mm until it was tight.

nynoah
02-06-2013, 07:45 PM
I found the 6in allen keys with the ball on the end at Harbor Freight for like 10 dollars for the set. Keep an eye for them next time you are down there. One of the best tools to have. Makes getting to the thermostat easy too. Plus if you have to pull the pan with the engine in, you need those things for the rear bastard bolts.

Wraith600
02-06-2013, 07:46 PM

**Disclaimer*** Nynoah is correct, they are invaluable to have but just be careful. They like to round out the allen on the bolt sometimes if the bolt is on there nice and good. They are a good last ditch effort if the bolt your taking off isn't torqued down hard and is hard to reach as you mentioned.

nynoah
02-06-2013, 08:00 PM
Yeah they can do that. I am lucky because my car is a Colorado car. No corrosion out here. Heck most of my bolts still look factory green.

walky_talky20
02-07-2013, 05:22 AM
I am lucky because my car is a Colorado car. No corrosion out here. Heck most of my bolts still look factory green.

Please...just stop.

#SaltBites

ECS Tuning-Audi
02-07-2013, 07:34 AM

We have a test pipe available below!

Click HERE to order or for more information. (www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Exhaust/Performance/ES1844140/?salesrep=JMarusic&utm_source=audizine&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=JMarusic&utm_campaign=postreply)
http://c1552172.r72.cf0.rackcdn.com/188848_x600.jpg (www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Exhaust/Performance/ES1844140/?salesrep=JMarusic&utm_source=audizine&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=JMarusic&utm_campaign=postreply)

Jason

Wraith600
02-07-2013, 09:44 AM
Oh ECS tuning how I loath you! I am like a kid in a candy store when I go to your website. I am waiting for my first order from you still and I am already building a second one.

I find myself going there as much as facebook.

geeky
02-07-2013, 09:53 AM
Yeah they can do that. I am lucky because my car is a Colorado car. No corrosion out here. Heck most of my bolts still look factory green.

HAHA you've clearly never been under your own car then. Saying there's not corrosion out here in Colorado is like me saying "I don't own an allroad."

ECS Tuning-Audi
02-07-2013, 10:41 AM
Oh ECS tuning how I loath you! I am like a kid in a candy store when I go to your website. I am waiting for my first order from you still and I am already building a second one.

I find myself going there as much as facebook.

[>_<] Try working here! We have my card on file so the temptation to spend thousands in a few seconds taunts me everyday! Haha.

Jason

Wraith600
02-07-2013, 11:13 AM
[>_<] Try working here! We have my card on file so the temptation to spend thousands in a few seconds taunts me everyday! Haha.

Jason

Yea I work in the motorcycle industry, it's the same for me! I tell my customers I work here to pay off my constant debt. It's like having to do the dishes when you can't pay for your dinner at a restaurant.

ECS Tuning-Audi
02-07-2013, 11:18 AM
Yea I work in the motorcycle industry, it's the same for me! I tell my customers I work here to pay off my constant debt. It's like having to do the dishes when you can't pay for your dinner at a restaurant.

[>_<][>_<] Yep! I'm doomed once the weather breaks, I have a fresh stock platform that just screams mod me! I've already started a small stock pile of parts waiting to be installed.

Jason