PDA

View Full Version : Noob suspension questions

EliA4B5
02-06-2013, 04:25 PM
My suspension needs a bit of work and is next on my list!

The previous owner lowered it way too far with some no name lowering springs. I want to raise it back up to stock height to fit b7 17" RS4 Oem or Reps (I read they fit on b5s with minimal work / spacing). also one of the oem shocks is fried so coilovers are needed.
My goal is all new everything... no shortcuts

The parts I am interested in are:
H&R OE Sport Springs
ST Coilovers

Is it better to get the stock height H&R OE springs and then lower the car to reduce wheel gap with the coilovers once I get the proper wheels to go with it?

or does anyone have better suggestions on springs for the car? I am pretty firm on the ST coilovers due to great reviews and decent pricing.

BlazinB5
02-06-2013, 04:33 PM
Bilstein HD shocks + H&R Sport Springs is a setup i wanna eventually do. not too low.. not too stiff...

you'll also wanna replace all the control arms while you're in there since everything's going to be taken apart anyhow. i forget the exact price, but it's about $225 for a whole control arm kit from FCP Groton

BlackLock_A4
02-06-2013, 04:33 PM
Literally hundreds of threads on here about suspension setup.

I have had experience with H&R Race Springs & ST CO. I am going to recommend get ST's the first time around and call it good. Depending on how many miles you have, it may be a good idea to get control arms/ sway bar links/ tie rod ends/ the WHOLE setup.

BTW: To be clear - H&R springs need to be paired with Bilstein (or any other brand) shocks. ST Coilovers is shocks and springs. These are two TOTALLY separate things. Just the way you worded everything didn't seem like you knew that - my bad if you did.

MiniBoost
02-06-2013, 04:38 PM
i have Bilstein HD shocks + H&R Sport Springs but the springs were heated up so its even more low lol this is the best picture i have, im surprised that i made it onto the dyno

http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac236/Brian_Kearney/Untitled-4.jpg

EliA4B5
02-06-2013, 04:44 PM
Literally hundreds of threads on here about suspension setup.

I have had experience with H&R Race Springs & ST CO. I am going to recommend get ST's the first time around and call it good. Depending on how many miles you have, it may be a good idea to get control arms/ sway bar links/ tie rod ends/ the WHOLE setup.

BTW: To be clear - H&R springs need to be paired with Bilstein (or any other brand) shocks. ST Coilovers is shocks and springs. These are two TOTALLY separate things. Just the way you worded everything didn't seem like you knew that - my bad if you did.

So you are saying that the ST Coilovers kit is both shocks and springs together?

I probably word a lot of things incorrectly when I talk about cars in general :P

steven_1104235
02-06-2013, 05:09 PM
Coilovers = Shocks and springs, and the shock body has an adjustable perch so you can adjust the height to your exact preference. Base ones come with only height adj, higher end come with adjustable shocks(rebound,firmness). St's are height adjustable only

Springs= just the lowering sprilngs. Have to pair them with shocks, aftermarket to do it right such as bilstein, koni etc. set it and forget it option; whatever the springs lower it is what you're going to get, no adjusting higher or lower. Most people get coilovers for: lowering a car lowww, beyond any available spring option; height adjustability to their exact preference(me), or they want a completely adjustable system that high end $2k+ kits offer. If you just want a modest drop with a firmer suspension feel, springs+ shocks is cheaper and a good option.

BlackLock_A4
02-06-2013, 05:30 PM
So you are saying that the ST Coilovers kit is both shocks and springs together?

Yes.

ST Coilovers:
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQDsIxRrcD9MW3sJbzUcxqZs2T9UB4P n3dS1PRjWV3OZxsBNU_gA

H&R Springs:
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR79k2R-ZnXCm3l2BlUi9MQUEzWrC3liXKk5EYLyHH_p1YU3WHk

So, that's why I said you need either:

a) H&R (race/sport/OE) springs + Bilstein sport shocks
OR
b) ST Coilovers

lorge1989
02-07-2013, 06:42 AM
If you are going to keep your car at a decent ride height, AKA just a few inches below stock, then Racelands are a cheap alternative. If you don't like em, sell em for like $50 less than you paid.

Zandgah
02-07-2013, 10:17 AM
Borrowing this thread for a sec...

I too was planning on lowering my car in a near future. I'm a student and kinda short on cash so I don't want it to cost me an arm and a leg, otherwise I would have gone with the ST Coils. But alas, I am poor and I'll probably end up buying just the springs. On to my questions:

1. Is there such a thing as a quality spring or are they all basicly the same, regardless of brand and price?

I've got the stock sport suspension right now and from what I understand it sits about 2 cm lower than the non-sport ones. I want to lower it about another 2 cm and I have looked at a set of H&R Springs that seems to do the job.

2. If all springs are more or less the same in the ways of lowering VS firmness, am I better of getting cheap ones than the H&R stuff?

chris164935
02-07-2013, 10:47 AM
I cheaped out with the Rokkor coilovers and I've regretted it ever since. The ride is SO squishy; I hate it. Every little bump or whatever causes the car to bounce up and down. I was able to snag a set of FWD Koni springs for $75 shipped from Europa Parts and ECS Tuning just added a set of ST Suspension dampening adjustable shocks that I plan on picking up as well.

BlackLock_A4
02-07-2013, 09:38 PM
1. Is there such a thing as a quality spring or are they all basicly the same, regardless of brand and price?

2. If all springs are more or less the same in the ways of lowering VS firmness, am I better of getting cheap ones than the H&R stuff?

1. Yes. The higher quality springs will have a more firm feel. (THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!) The ride quality will be greatly improved.

2. They are not all the same, as stated in Chris' post above.

If you are set on springs - at least spend the money for H&R. I loved mine when I had the "race" set.

ianwpb
02-07-2013, 10:04 PM
FYI the Bilstein HD shocks are not intended for use with lowering springs. They're more of a high quality/heavy duty version of the stock shock. The Bilstein Sport shocks are however intended for use with Sport/Lowering springs.

Zandgah
02-08-2013, 01:36 AM
1. Yes. The higher quality springs will have a more firm feel. (THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!) The ride quality will be greatly improved.

2. They are not all the same, as stated in Chris' post above.

If you are set on springs - at least spend the money for H&R. I loved mine when I had the "race" set.

Haha! [;)]

I had a suspicion this was the case, thanks for clearing that up! Gonna get the H&R Springs some time soon [:)]