PDA

View Full Version : Q5 Wheel Selection.. H&R Sport Springs..

Auditude2.0T
02-01-2013, 11:34 AM
My father is looking to upgrade the wheels and suspension on my mother's Q5. I like the drop the H&R Sport Springs provide just trying to decide on wheels. Would 20x10 ET32 with a 255/45/20 fit? Not looking for any poke just a nice flush look. It's an S Line Prestige 3.2.

D_Frost
02-01-2013, 12:36 PM
This might be a good thread to read since they're discussing 20x10 wheels as well ;)

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/503647-Q5-Wheel-Fitment?highlight=wheel+spec

VroomVroom
02-01-2013, 02:26 PM
Apologies in advance for the hijack, but.... would you mind sharing your thoughts on the ride quality with the H&R springs? I'm contemplating a drop, and am weighing the pros (cost) and cons (reduced shock travel) of the springs vs. a much more expensive coilover solution. Thanks for your feedback!

ThunderDent
02-01-2013, 02:56 PM
D_Frost can answer as well, but from researching this to death prior to my build, I chose the coliovers.

#1, So I can lower to my desired height.
#2, seems several people that had put them on ended up taking them back off due to the ride quality.
I remember reading instances of people saying they were banging there heads on the ceiling over railroad tracks!

I think the reason most stated was that just changing out the springs did lower the height, using them with the shock that's damping was made to work with the stock spring caused the rebound damping to not be very good.

I don't have first hand experience of this, just what I have read. I researched and talk to folks, and ended up getting the coilovers so everything would work in concert.

I get the car back Monday (it's officially done now), so I can chime in thereafter on the ride quality. I had the ST v1 coilovers installed (they same as the KW v1). Frost has the KW v2's installed.

Several others do have the H&R's installed on standard shocks. And I believe Maximum has the STaSIS springs installed on his Q.

Do some research, then make a decision that best suites your driving.

Let us know how it goes.

VroomVroom
02-01-2013, 04:50 PM
^ ^ Just awesome. Thanks!