PDA

View Full Version : S6 reliability

andyrew
02-01-2013, 09:21 AM
So Im still looking for a daily, back and forth between an A4 2.8, A6 2.8 and such... And I see there has been a nice 100k mile S6 wagon in a local dealer for a decent price. I know I can convince the wife to go with this nicer upgrade if I decide to get rid of my A4 after its fixed.. But im just wondering if any of you know..

How reliable is the 4.2 in the S6 model?

http://photos.ecarlist.com/RB/A9/aV/9I/kY/hL/WV/CH/Yp/wT/pA_800.jpg

JumboBlack1.8
02-01-2013, 09:25 AM
You'll prob get a better response in the C5 forum, but I frequent there...

Pretty rock solid, aside from the transmissions. Several people have experienced failures from normal use, but others have certainly gotten lucky. Also, the oil cooler coolant pipe is very brittle, and is known to crack and lead severely. Bufkin makes a CNC'd metal hose that'll remedy that potential issue forever.

Otherwise, they're great. Like any Audi (or any car, for that matter), if you take care of the regular maintenance, it'll treat you well.

And 6speed swaps are pretty easy on that platform.

andyrew
02-01-2013, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the feedback.

Any early warnings on the trani? Any idea as to what miles they typically fail?

JumboBlack1.8
02-01-2013, 10:49 AM
You'll need to ask the C5 guys.....I'm only interested in the engine. I don't pay attention to much else over there.

themadscientist
02-01-2013, 11:27 AM
The automatic isn't too hard to rebuild if you want to keep it auto. Everything else is on par with standard Audi maintenance items.