PDA

View Full Version : Slow warm-up (according to temp gauge)

KAL
01-22-2013, 06:25 PM
So ever since I bought this car it has in my opinion taken a lot time to get warm (June 2012). I have a daily 13km commute to work one way and in the fall by the time I get to work the needle would only be about a quarter of the way up.

Winter rolls around and it just keeps taking longer according to the temp gauge although the heater blows warm within minutes.

In December the temp gauge gave out, or so I thought and I had it replaced. (I suspected it because it would work intermittently for about a week then completely gave out. Also the car would idle about 200rpms lower on cold start when it wasn't working). Once I had it replaced it worked again but still the needle took forever to climb, sometimes taking about half hour of driving in -10 degree weather to completely reach its half way point. Last week it started to get lazy-er and now has been bottomed out for about 6 days.

If it wasn't the temp gauge what could it be? The car is an 06 non-fsi 4.2 with 100k miles on the odometer.

MacS4
01-23-2013, 07:52 PM
Sounds like the thermostat is stuck open to me.

KAL
01-25-2013, 02:33 PM
That is plausible and it is what I was originally thinking however because of the fact that I do get warm air from the heater after a bit of driving I was going to rule it out. But maybe I should re-consider it, I did a quick search online and thermostats seem very cheap

straightdrp421
02-03-2013, 05:28 PM
Same thing happened to my car then it eventually threw a fault code, changed out the temperature sensor and it fixed it. Now it warms up faster and the needle stays right in the middle of the gauge. Its probably the sensor not the thermostat.

Slobo7x
03-06-2013, 12:16 PM
it's either a thermostat or a return hose for the auxillary radiator, they have a check valve built into them that can get stuck as well. Check that out as well, there is a TSB on this from audi.

KAL
03-07-2013, 06:21 PM
Thanks Slobo and everyone else for the input. Now with the weather warming up it does get warmer faster but I still will look into this as soon as I get a chance!