PDA

View Full Version : Broken worn out suspension, looking for suggestions

DND
01-06-2013, 10:28 PM
My car's handling has been degrading for the last while and I even started getting uneven tire wear despite replacing the control arms and having it aligned only a few years ago.
So, it seems my front upper control arms, all four of them, have worn out ball joints already, I've got a broken rear spring, and probably worn out sport shocks.
Oh what fun. [=(]

So, I hate the tailspin of searching and expired group buys and decisions etc. that come with buying new parts...
I'm looking for suspension suggestions with the following criteria:
- not really interested in lowering beyond the factory sport height, at least not if I'll start rubbing fenders and tires
- low price due to all the broken bits that have to be done at once...
- warranty and longevity, I'm getting sick of replacing parts
- sporty for hard cornering but not as uncomfortable as my dead factory sport stuff
- I think I would prefer progressive springs

All suggestions, particularly where to buy parts at a good deal, are welcome.
Thank-you

ianwpb
01-07-2013, 03:58 AM
Check out the group buy section. As far as I know fcp Groton still has their full control arm set GB going on. Prices are 205-255 shipped iirc. Warranty information is in the thread. Great company to deal with.

As far as springs and shocks go, I'm very happy with my Bilstein sport shocks and H&R sport springs combo. It's a great ride. I believe it's only another 3/4" drop from stock sport so you don't have to worry about rubbing tires on your fenders.

QuattroGinger
01-07-2013, 04:36 AM
bilstein sport shocks and HR springs is awesome combo. i ran this on my mk3. it will however drop about a inch, maybe little more. but thats not bad at all. excellent driving conditions with them.

ianwpb
01-07-2013, 04:54 AM
The H&R sports are supposed to be a 3/4" drop from stock sport or about 1.5" from stock non-sport. Not sure about H&R race though.

For example - my stock non-sport suspension sat at 27gtf in the rear. With H&R sport springs it's now 25.5 gtf.

QuattroGinger
01-07-2013, 04:57 AM
i know you said you dont want to go lower, but im sure you could raise these. pretty good deal. juts came across and thought id share with ya.

http://forums.fourtitude.com/showthread.php?5922572-FS-b5-a4-s4-H-amp-R-coilovers-lt-5k-miles-like-new

DND
01-07-2013, 05:37 PM
i know you said you dont want to go lower, but im sure you could raise these. pretty good deal. juts came across and thought id share with ya.

http://forums.fourtitude.com/showthread.php?5922572-FS-b5-a4-s4-H-amp-R-coilovers-lt-5k-miles-like-new

Thanks, I was actually considering those new as an option but a bit worried about being too low (I have a crazy driveway) and coilovers cost more for an adjustability I don't need; but the lifetime warranty sounds good and the importer is local to me if I have any trouble...
I'll have to measure but from memory I think I might actually be at about 25.5 inches ground to fender now... so maybe that won't be any lower really.

It seems from most places I've checked that buying shocks and springs separately isn't a very good deal, do you guys have any links to a well priced package with the combo you mentioned?
How do Neuspeed springs compare? I found this combo (http://www.mjmautohaus.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=6169_6170_6186_6188_6822_76 26&info=Neuspeed_55.02.26.KS_Sport_Springs_with_KONI_ Sport_Shocks_for_Quattro&products_id=2576) that says it probably won't lower anymore than existing factory sport height.

And I did PM about the group buy for the control arms but haven't received a response yet.

DND
01-07-2013, 09:01 PM
I measured my car ground to fender and the front is 26.25 inches and the "okay" rear side is 26.125 and the broken spring side is 25.625 so other than the lost clearance issues on my driveway 25.5 would probably be tolerable.

If all of the aftermarket springs are stiffer to solve the lateral transfer problems but I've already solved those using the Hotchkis swaybars am I going to have to remove those because it would be too little lateral transfer now?