PDA

View Full Version : hid fire

turboseantsi
12-30-2012, 09:17 PM
Hello i have a 98 a4 fwd with hid kit from a online store. I have used this store for years not a problem till tonight.i was driving around and got pulled over for headlight out.so i dropped my friend off and started my way back home. As i pulled on to my street i notice this terrible smell . I continued to head to my house as i pull into my drive way i see the reflection of my pasanger headlight on my dads cars bumper that my headlight was glowing yellow. As my car came to complete stop thats when hell came out of my hood.fire was pooring out of my hood almost 1/4 amout of my engine bay. I called 911 and they put it out. The fire men traced the start of the fire to be my hid bulb. Should i get a lawyer to go after the company to pay for the damage

TylerDSAudi
12-30-2012, 10:06 PM
Hello i have a 98 a4 fwd with hid kit from a online store. I have used this store for years not a problem till tonight.i was driving around and got pulled over for headlight out.so i dropped my friend off and started my way back home. As i pulled on to my street i notice this terrible smell . I continued to head to my house as i pull into my drive way i see the reflection of my pasanger headlight on my dads cars bumper that my headlight was glowing yellow. As my car came to complete stop thats when hell came out of my hood.fire was pooring out of my hood almost 1/4 amout of my engine bay. I called 911 and they put it out. The fire men traced the start of the fire to be my hid bulb. Should i get a lawyer to go after the company to pay for the damage

I dont think you'll win that one mate. Any product for cars have disclaimers when installing them. If a shop did it, you might be able to go after then but since you installed it its a completely different story. The company would have many ways out of this like on my hid's box it say " May need proper install by licensed mechanic or automotive shop." They could get you right there by saying you are not a licensed mechanic and you doing it yourself was your own risk.

All in all i worked for a parts company where we installed aftermarket parts we always delt with company's over things like this, they just go on about disclaimers and how you may have not installed it right. You'll really waste more money on lawyers and your own time trying to go after them.

Mad Cow
12-30-2012, 11:15 PM
Ballasts don't just burst into flame, most likely you had a short somewhere that overheated the ballast and blew it. You won't get a cent from the company, so unless you got a reputable shop to install them you're SOL, and even then it won't be worth the time and money. Plus unless you installed projector lights you really shouldn't have installed HIDs in the first place.

Stance-Line
12-30-2012, 11:17 PM
^+1

Been working on aftermarket shit a loooooong time, never heard of and HID fire before.

BlazinB5
12-30-2012, 11:25 PM
"The fire men traced the start of the fire to be my hid bulb" - sounds like a load of bullshit to me - i mean honestly, how the fuck would they be able to figure that one out?

edit: pics or didn't happen

TylerDSAudi
12-31-2012, 01:08 AM
I agree, I only run my HIDs in projection. I want to know how it was the bulbs fault? Wouldn't it be the wiring/ballast like said above. If a fire will start anywhere it's in the ballast as it takes all the power and heat and if it doesn't start on fire your wires will fry and then start on fire. HID bulbs just expand and go blackishbrown when they burn out or there is a problem in wiring, never heard of one catching on fire?

turboseantsi
12-31-2012, 04:13 AM
Idk how they traced it but the balests are not the start of this itsthe bulb it cracked and arcked out .ill take picks when it get light out and for the fire company when i get the copy of the report back ill post it up for you guys to read

donkeysaudi
12-31-2012, 10:10 AM
Thats crazy i know not to use that company now

ebi718
12-31-2012, 10:14 AM
This is not BS...I came close to losing my VW CC due to loose HID bulb-caused fire. Wire was already melting.....

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

walky_talky20
12-31-2012, 10:45 AM
This is why all North American A4's are equipped with Emergency Headlight Squirters from the factory. Puts out those pesky headlight fires right away.

turboseantsi
12-31-2012, 02:29 PM
idk how to upload my pictures on here keeps asking for a url? whats that

Seerlah
12-31-2012, 02:43 PM
http://s1.postimage.org/dph2otykv/DSC03667.jpg

Mad Cow
12-31-2012, 02:54 PM
Cracked bulb? The only way I could see a bulb cracking without an impact would be if you handled it without gloves.

donkeysaudi
12-31-2012, 02:56 PM
idk how to upload my pictures on here keeps asking for a url? whats that
1. you must upload them to some kind of photo viewing site (ex. Photobucket, Fliker etc.)
2. take the URL of the photo and place it in the photo link
3. click "post"