PDA

View Full Version : Failed California Smog

juubi
12-07-2012, 09:09 AM
Hi all,

I just got back from the smog shop in Sacramento, California and I failed. I did good in everything except for HC (PPM) at idle.

This is the result:
HC (PPM)
Max - 100
Ave - 17
Meas - 189

I was wondering how I can bring down the measured scored. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Seerlah
12-07-2012, 09:30 AM
What mods do you have? Especially on your exhaust.

juubi
12-07-2012, 09:35 AM
everything should be stock. i have a 1999 audi a4 quattro 1.8t

here's the smog results paper:

http://i.imgur.com/RO7tR.jpg

andyrew
12-07-2012, 09:39 AM
How old is the catalytic converter? How old is the PCV valve?

When was your last oil change?

Did you warm it up really really good?

You can go the shortcut method... Go to home depot and buy this stuff. Put in 1 gallon SLX per 5 gallons gas. (Just run your tank down and put SLX in then throw in a couple gallons of gas, this way it all mixes.), It'll knock your scores down quite a bit.. Its cheating, but ya. Oh and put it in right before you go, and fill up your tank right after (Or drive it out of the system), Its not the best thing for your rubber fuel lines in high concentration.

http://www.homedepot.com/Paint-Cleaners-Thinners-Removers/Klean-Strip/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbobgZug/R-100118908/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051#.UMIpRHeT4yQ

juubi
12-07-2012, 09:48 AM
I bought this car back in October 2012 and I'm finally registering and smogging it in California since I got income rolling in again. The car came from Nevada and was registered in 2011, so perhaps if it passed smog there, it should also have been fine here in California (I understand CA has strict emission). After I got the car, I just let it sat for most of the time and didn't do anything to it; I still drove it to short distances like the grocery store.

I'm thinking about changing the spark plugs and doing an oil change today. Can anyone recommend me the correct NGK plug number I should get? I'm looking at BKR6E, but I'm not sure if that's correct, and I'm searching the forum as I write this. What about oil and oil filter parts numbers/brands?

To be honest, I did not warm it good. I left the car on for about 5 minutes while I was in the drive way. Then I drove for about 15 minutes via local streets to the smog shop at 8:00am. I wanted to hop on the highway, but I forgot all about morning traffic.

I'm checking out that Denatured Alcohol product. I'm thinking about picking it up, but I just filled up my gas tank last night after I came home from work >.< Will it knock my score down enough to pass or will it drop me down to like 130?

Seerlah
12-07-2012, 09:48 AM
If stock, I would assume it will have to do with your fuel/air mixture and/or cat converter. Something a stock component (even replacing your spark plugs) could fix.

What was the last time your plugs were changed? Last time you had a tune up? Last time any maintenance was performed on your vehicle?

juubi
12-07-2012, 09:56 AM
If stock, I would assume it will have to do with your fuel/air mixture and/or cat converter. Something a stock component (even replacing your spark plugs) could fix.

What was the last time your plugs were changed? Last time you had a tune up? Last time any maintenance was performed on your vehicle?

I'm thinking about changing the spark plugs and doing an oil change today. Can anyone recommend me the correct NGK plug number I should get? I'm looking at BKR6E, but I'm not sure if that's correct, and I'm searching the forum as I write this. What about oil and oil filter parts numbers/brands?

I asked the previous owner back in November, but he didn't respond back to my question. I doubt he knows much about cars. The Audi maintenance log book pages aren't filled either. I only got this car because I lowballed him down to $2500 from $2900 and thought that I was getting a good deal so I bought it. Nonetheless, I want to keep this car because I love it. I just need to make it pass smog and get it registered in California because the Nevada tag will expire on December 13th, 2012.

Seerlah
12-07-2012, 10:05 AM
Pick up a Mobil 1 flter for our car (go to Autozone and they will tell you which one you need) and pick up Shell Rotella T6 from Walmart for a little over $20 (that is the price for just the oil). If you never changed the oil on this car before, I made a little DIY for it a while back.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/303091-DIY-B5-A4-1-8T-Oil-Change

Pick up the NGK BKR6E spark plugs, and gap them to .030" I believe it is for stock cars. If you never worked on a car before, hope you know what you are doing. If you need help, just ask. That is what we are here for. But replacement plugs, oil change and replacement air filter is a great place to start. If you need it right away, just get if from your local dealership. Since you just picked this car up, there will be a whole bunch more sh*t that will pop up. It is inevitable. Stick around, get comfortable, welcome to wonderful world of Audi ownership!

juubi
12-07-2012, 10:16 AM
Is it okay to use Shell Rotella T6? It says it's for diesel engine. Just asking 'cos I don't wanna mess things up. I've changed spark plugs before and have also done oil changes before. Thanks for the great help so far. Keep them coming :D

Avant Nate
12-07-2012, 10:17 AM
What is your normal operating temperature reading? The coolant temp guage should be a 12 o'clock. And before you do emissions, you want your cat as hot as possible, so beat on it for at least a little bit right before you take it.
Alot of diesels are turbos.

Seerlah
12-07-2012, 10:20 AM
You'll be fine. Can be ran in both diesel and standard petrol engines. If you go on BITOG.com, people would actually recommend to run heavy duty diesel engine motor oil. I personally use Amsoil, but use the Shell Rotella T6 when times are tough or I am in a crunch.

juubi
12-07-2012, 10:22 AM
What is your normal operating temperature reading? The coolant temp guage should be a 12 o'clock. And before you do emissions, you want your cat as hot as possible, so beat on it for at least a little bit right before you take it.
Alot of diesels are turbos.

Ah thanks for the reminder. I'm pretty sure my temp reading wasn't even near middle. I'll make sure to bring it in after I get the spark plug and oil change done with the temp gauge at center..

Seerlah
12-07-2012, 10:36 AM
If your coolant gauge is not at the 12 o'clock position after warm up, then your combustion will not be burning properly.

andyrew
12-07-2012, 02:31 PM
I bought this car back in October 2012 and I'm finally registering and smogging it in California since I got income rolling in again. The car came from Nevada and was registered in 2011, so perhaps if it passed smog there, it should also have been fine here in California (I understand CA has strict emission). After I got the car, I just let it sat for most of the time and didn't do anything to it; I still drove it to short distances like the grocery store.

To be honest, I did not warm it good. I left the car on for about 5 minutes while I was in the drive way. Then I drove for about 15 minutes via local streets to the smog shop at 8:00am. I wanted to hop on the highway, but I forgot all about morning traffic.

I'm checking out that Denatured Alcohol product. I'm thinking about picking it up, but I just filled up my gas tank last night after I came home from work >.< Will it knock my score down enough to pass or will it drop me down to like 130?

You need to do all the maintenance Seerlah is suggesting. If you havent changed your air filter do it as well. All this stuff will bring it down. The Denatured alcohol will do quite a bit, the most i've seen is knocking all the numbers in half.

Getting your cat hot will do a lot. Properly warm up your engine (Drive it around until water is in the middle), then drive it HARD right before your appointment to your appointment(Make an appointment so you can drive right onto the rollers).

Also for future reference, the timing belt needs to be done every 75k miles, if you dont have record of it being done you need to do it.

Good luck, you'll get it.

juubi
12-08-2012, 03:31 AM
I got under the car yesterday afternoon and to my surprise, the oil drain plug bolt is already stripped. I tried 16mm and 17mm sockets and they fit, but it won't grip onto it. Hopefully the inside threads are still good, but I have no way to know until I get this bolt loosen. I don't know any other way to get it out. I tried PB Blaster and still no luck. Any help? My engine code is AEB and the bolt is facing towards the driver's wheel side.

It looks just like how it is in this picture:
http://i.imgur.com/1iklm.jpg

And I'm aware of the timing belt. Right now I can't afford to get it done as much as I would love to, but that's definitely going to be my priority after I get this car to pass smog. What's the average price to get a timing belt change done on these cars? I won't be doing this myself. Right now my car has 189k on the odometer, yikes!

Avant Nate
12-08-2012, 09:01 AM
If your car has a failed thermostat, you don't need to do the whole timing belt. Its pretty easy on the AEB 1.8. Since your in Sacremento, I think even with a bad thermostat, you should be able to get the engine nice and hot.

As far as the drain plug, I would buy the replacement before you take that one out. Do you have any vise grips? And if whatever quick lube guy put it on there that tight, the interior threads may be fucked. I have to run an over-sized plug with a little RTV, because my threads were pretty stripped out.

nynoah
12-08-2012, 10:07 AM
Use vice grips and buy a new plug before you take the old one out. I suggest buying a cheap 20 dollar magnetic drain plug from http://www.metalnerd.com/ his shipping costs are very reasonable. Plus its a family business.

juubi
12-08-2012, 03:20 PM
So I managed to get my spark plugs done today. Went to tackle the oil drain plug, but turns out my vice grip was no where to be found. What a bummer! I also believe that I bought the wrong drain plug from Napa auto parts. This is the one I bought: http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=ATMN90813201_0303049712
But if you compare it to this picture I snapped earlier today, you can see that the gasket/washer is bigger and the bolt is about 16mm. The one from Napa auto parts is about 19mm. The clerk also told me there's different plugs for the 1999 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T. Anyone knows the correct part number I need?

My current oil drain plug:
http://i.imgur.com/eBOny.jpg

nynoah
12-08-2012, 03:24 PM
Why are you hanging yourself by trying to use regular pliers? That thing looks even more fubared than before. A good set of vice grips costs less than 20 dollars. Buy that GOOD set, not the cheapest set you can find either. The more you try to take that off with pliers that are not vice grips the more rounded that nut will become. As it sits now the amount of damage you have done is FAR worse than before. It might come down to welding a bolt onto the end of it and praying that will work. Go buy the right tools other wise save now for a new oil pan. Your choice....

coolgraymemo
12-08-2012, 03:27 PM
Say you own a 1998. It will make things easier.

juubi
12-08-2012, 03:44 PM
Why are you hanging yourself by trying to use regular pliers? That thing looks even more fubared than before. A good set of vice grips costs less than 20 dollars. Buy that GOOD set, not the cheapest set you can find either. The more you try to take that off with pliers that are not vice grips the more rounded that nut will become. As it sits now the amount of damage you have done is FAR worse than before. It might come down to welding a bolt onto the end of it and praying that will work. Go buy the right tools other wise save now for a new oil pan. Your choice....

Sorry for the confusion. I read online that the oil drain plugs are located elsewhere depending on the A4 year/model, but I may be wrong. The first picture was just an example I found online because my plug is in the same spot. I also didn't have a picture of my exact one at the time I posted.

The second picture I posted is from under my car. I didn't get to do much to it besides trying to find its size and trying to turn it a few times with a socket wrench. My plug was already stripped by the previous owner. I had a good vice grip, but it some how got lost in the garage. I'll pick up a good one tomorrow from Sears.

nynoah
12-08-2012, 03:51 PM
gotcha[up]