PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have interference between headlight and TIP?

B6T
12-06-2012, 07:58 PM
My car is a '97 A4 1.8T Quattro. It has a bunch of upgrades but for this discussion the relevant parts are the K04 turbo, 034 Motorsports inlet pipe, and Carbonio intake. I just finished installing a set of one-piece Depo e-code headlights to replace the crappy 15 year old stock lights that would likely have lead to my untimely death.

The issue is that there is a significant interference between the TIP and the passenger side headlight, more specifically the lower edge of the high-beam cover. I'd say the interference is where the headlight is pushed into the TIP approximately 0.5". I'm surprised to have this issue because I would think that all parts fit like factory, which means the headlight shouldn't interfere with the TIP.

The only thing I can think of is that the Carbonio intake positions the MAF closer towards the fender which puts the TIP in the space the headlamp wants to occupy.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Do you have any suggestions on how to remedy the situation? I was thinking I could trim about 0.5" off each end of the TIP in order to position it further back and out of contact with the headlight.

Here is a pic for reference (Carbonio intake duct removed):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/b6tfestiva/pics/image.jpeg

Avant Nate
12-10-2012, 09:39 AM
It's it hitting the headlight or the plastic mounting? I took my headlight out and had to trim the plastic our the mounting about a .5 inch. Didn't hit the headlight though.

CCA4
12-10-2012, 10:55 AM
Did you switch from two-piece to one-piece headlights? I seem to remember on my '97 (was a 12v V6, but still relevant), I swapped from two-piece reflectors to one-piece e-codes like this and the backs of the headlight housings were quite a bit deeper. I assume because of the projectors?

xdewaynex
12-10-2012, 11:50 AM
Same problem here with my S4 lights on my pre facelift A4. Ive just kind of ignored it after a while.

TConklin821
12-10-2012, 02:29 PM
I just moved the TIP to the left a little...

.Mad Hatter.
12-11-2012, 09:18 AM
I have this issue and its a huge pain in the ass. Going with a cone filter helps a lot but its not really the fault of the TIP; its larger so the increase in diameter causes problems. I will be redoing my intake plumbing shortly for this reason.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2