PDA

View Full Version : Flat out unexplainable happening on freeway....gurus PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Jessejamesb5
12-04-2012, 09:55 PM
So battery was dead this morning, used my jump pack and hit the road. Drove about 38miles to my destination....no problem. Car sat for 2hourd and had to jump it again. As I was re-entering the freeway-coming down the ramp and I hit 70. About 30sec laterthe car jolted/jerked hard as hell. Feltlike I hit a pothole, but after that ....all hell broke loose. Car.was surgingor somthng weird. All gauge needles were droppng flat thn pickn up, dropping and back up,etc. Rpm's goin from 4k to 5500,4k to 5500,etc. But it was jerking like it was redlining the entire ride. Backfiring and all. No smoke whatsoever tho.

Id take my foot off the gas, and itd be fine...but give it gas, it did evrything I just said. Made it to my exit, got off fine. Pulled into a McD's parkinglot and put her in park. Sat for a few minutes and was idling smooth and fine. Continued on my route and car drove completly fine. Parked the car.for a few hours n let it cool down fully so I took her round the block. Not a single hiccup whatsoever possible. Im lost beyond words.....was thnkn alternator but battery ddnt conk out on me with headlights, front/rear fogs, wipers and radio all going.

Also, while it was acting like it was on the freeway, there was a constant/obnoxious clicking under the dash. Or behind the dash somewhere? New to me.....

Btw, the car is an 01 a4 quatt. 2.8 auto if this matters any. Thanks a ton in advance fellas. Please....i need any feedbavk possible.

Jessejamesb5
12-05-2012, 07:06 AM
And by the term "redlining" it seemed like it wouldmt shift into 5th gear possiibly.

Turbo510
12-09-2012, 09:12 AM
Power to the ECU? Scan to see if there are low-voltage codes.

Jessejamesb5
12-12-2012, 10:43 AM
Im going to look into scanning. But luckily had my battery tested....they said it was a bad battery, wouldnt hold a charge(was on charger for 45mins and was still 0volts on it) thank god for warrantys! Free replacnt...put in car and fired right up. Took for a spin....its like a whole new car now. Havnt tried freeway yet tho bcuz that last incident scared the shit outa me

ktm733
03-10-2013, 11:22 AM
The car will be fine, my car did the same thing when my serpentine belt broke, easy fix ran great after that