PDA

View Full Version : DSG vs. SMG

B528QM
06-09-2005, 08:59 AM
I know that A3s are available with DSG and I was wondering how the DSG tranny is in performance to an SMG tranny as far as shifting speed and how aggressive it is performance wise... I know they are diffrent systems but I have never driven a DSG car and an SMG M3 often... Thanks.

J-roc
06-09-2005, 11:51 AM
All I can say is that the DSG is pretty freaking awesome. I find it aggressive, and I find the more aggressive your foot is on the gas the more aggressive the DSG is, but I myself have never driven an SMG car...

threedaysdwn
06-13-2005, 05:38 PM
It's an entirely different beast.

SMG is a servo-actuated clutch on a normal manual. They're slow and clunky. Avoid.

DSG is designed from the ground up for performance and efficiency. It uses two wet clutches (one for odd gears, the other for even gears). When you shift, both clutches are engaged simultaneously during the switch. Unlike a normal manual or SMG, you're never out of gear... and you always have power. The shifts are mind-bogglinly fast.

When Top Gear reviewed the TT 3.2 DSG, Jeremy tried to "trick" the DSG by trying to make it think he was going to shift up and then shifting down instead (hoping that the DSG would try and have 4th ready when he suddenly told it to go to 2nd, catching it off guard). It didn't work. I believe his exact words were:

"How did it know?!? It's witchcraft!!!"

More than anything... drive one. You'll immediately realize the difference.

I chose a 6-speed because they had the car I wanted with the right set of options, and it was a 6-speed. However, after test driving a DSG A3, I would have happily picked the same car if it had that.

Oh yeah, BMW is working on a new tranny they call "ZMG" design to compete with the DSG. Last I heard they were hoping for a 2007 release.

B528QM
06-14-2005, 12:33 PM
Thanks threedaysdwn I'll probably be getting a DSG TT as inventory here at the dealership so I'll make sure to drive it before its gone

lawong
06-15-2005, 12:53 AM
SMGv2 is actually pretty good. The shift times aren't bad at all. 80ms IIRC.

The DSG is freakin crazy. 10ms shift times.

3ohAvant
06-15-2005, 01:41 AM
I drove the a3 with the DSG OMG! WOW!

if my next car is an audi, and if it comes avail with DSG, thats what i am getting. The shifts are like butter! And lightning quick. The blurble of the exhaust, sounds cool too, with the rev match.