PDA

View Full Version : Carbon fiber sunroof plug

v dub'n
11-23-2012, 07:29 PM
I was wondering if anyone other than 2 bennett makes a sunroof plug or if someone knows of anyone with a used one? This will be so much easier than making something out of lexan.

johnnybravo!
11-23-2012, 07:48 PM
Contact Mike @ Ringer-Racing.com I recall a convo I had with him sometime back regarding this same question..he knew the supplier/fabricator of the Bennett sr delete assembly.....he just might have another option... I opted out of going with the pricey Bennett piece considering my B5 A4 isn't a track-dedicated ride and serves as my dd..sure i'd like to drop the 60+lbs off the top but I like a functional sr even better.

I was wondering if anyone other than 2 bennett makes a sunroof plug or if someone knows of anyone with a used one? This will be so much easier than making something out of lexan.

M-Hood
11-24-2012, 05:01 AM
Fiber Images used to make one but it doesn't look like they are in business anymore.

Nollywood
11-24-2012, 06:03 AM
There's a firm here in the UK that will make just about anything you want, including complete roof skins. I've got a sunroof on my B5, and I'm still trying to decide what to do - carbon fibre sunroof delete panel, or complete carbon fibre skin.

As long as he has a pattern, he'll make it. There will be similar outfits in the United States, who may not specifically advertise CF sunroof panel delete, but would be willing to work with you to make them.

Turbo Nerd
11-24-2012, 08:49 AM
http://uspmotorsports.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_345_351_59&products_id=4 62

Nollywood
11-24-2012, 10:30 AM
^^^ Lord 'ave mercy! $800! [o_o]

v dub'n
11-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Yeah 800 is a tad out there. The one ringer was selling was perfect for me. I guess I'll be on my own making something over the winter

M-Hood
11-24-2012, 03:54 PM
http://uspmotorsports.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_345_351_59&products_id=462

No longer listed because that was the Fiber Images sunroof delete which they can no longer get.

There's a firm here in the UK that will make just about anything you want, including complete roof skins. I've got a sunroof on my B5, and I'm still trying to decide what to do - carbon fibre sunroof delete panel, or complete carbon fibre skin.

As long as he has a pattern, he'll make it. There will be similar outfits in the United States, who may not specifically advertise CF sunroof panel delete, but would be willing to work with you to make them.

Problem is no one is willing to drop the cash to make a mold. You feel like paying a couple grand to make a $300 part?

Nollywood
11-24-2012, 05:08 PM
Problem is no one is willing to drop the cash to make a mold. You feel like paying a couple grand to make a $300 part?

I've never been charged that kind on dough to get one-off custom parts made. It all depends on the relationship you have with folk like these.

M-Hood
11-24-2012, 07:07 PM
I've never been charged that kind on dough to get one-off custom parts made. It all depends on the relationship you have with folk like these.

Well someone will have to pay for it or it ends up being added to the cost of the part that is going to come out of it which is usually case of 1 off parts. Been there done that when I paid to have a mold made of a A4 96/Euro trunk, my OEM doors were also used to make a mold to make the CF doors that are on my car. I have had molds made for other parts and there is always a cost to make that mold, just the same when making any type of part which will always have tooling cost.

dowsett6
11-25-2012, 09:36 AM
Well someone will have to pay for it or it ends up being added to the cost of the part that is going to come out of it which is usually case of 1 off parts. Been there done that when I paid to have a mold made of a A4 96/Euro trunk, my OEM doors were also used to make a mold to make the CF doors that are on my car. I have had molds made for other parts and there is always a cost to make that mold, just the same when making any type of part which will always have tooling cost.

What happened to all the molds that fibre images had anyways?

M-Hood
11-26-2012, 09:01 AM
What happened to all the molds that fibre images had anyways?

Either went with them or got thrown away. I know each time they moved their shop they would end up throwing away the molds they were no longer using.

Nollywood
11-26-2012, 11:12 AM

I understand. And I'm saying the guys I use have never charged me R&D costs. They've always made me one-off items, without any nasty shocks. Which is why I say it depends on the sort of relationship you've got with them. I don't doubt you know what you're talking about. I too know what I'm on about with regards one-off CF parts, or any other parts.

johnnybravo!
11-26-2012, 08:04 PM
can you forward me contact info for your connection..inbox me..thanx:)

I understand. And I'm saying the guys I use have never charged me R&D costs. They've always made me one-off items, without any nasty shocks. Which is why I say it depends on the sort of relationship you've got with them. I don't doubt you know what you're talking about. I too know what I'm on about with regards one-off CF parts, or any other parts.

revolution337
11-28-2012, 04:19 PM
2bennett has one. $695

http://www.2bennett.com/Parts/2B%20Parts/misc.bodyparts/b5/2bennett-carbon-fiber-image-.jpg

M-Hood
11-28-2012, 07:35 PM
2bennett has one. $695

http://www.2bennett.com/Parts/2B%20Parts/misc.bodyparts/b5/2bennett-carbon-fiber-image-.jpg

yes but that price is nearly twice as much as the Fiber Images was going for.

v dub'n
11-28-2012, 08:30 PM
2 bennett's price is too much for me, that type of money I'd rather save and put in my dog box fund and rig something up myself for the weight savings. I paid less that that for my trunk which was more work and carbon.

$teady$upreme
03-08-2013, 04:19 AM
wish fiber image one is still around.

M-Hood
03-08-2013, 07:51 AM
wish fiber image one is still around.

So does many people including a few shops that used to sell them. Have no idea where that family went, but I know the older son had moved to Mexico a while before they vanished.

jijohans
03-09-2013, 01:00 AM
How is the finish and fitment on the 2bennet kit?

indiana
03-11-2013, 07:09 AM
Why would you want to delete such a nice sunroof? And then there are places selling roof kits for cars and trucks with none?
Is it a racing regulation/autocross reg, weight, leakys.>??

CCA4
03-11-2013, 07:17 AM
Why would you want to delete such a nice sunroof? And then there are places selling roof kits for cars and trucks with none?

Reduces weight, lowers the car's center of gravity without leaving a big gaping hole in the roof.

M-Hood
03-11-2013, 08:43 AM

You don't have to delete the whole sunroof. Some of them can replace just the glass or the whole unit. Most people do it to reduce the weight which also helps lower the center of gravity, some do it because they are putting a cage and at that point the sunroof is in the way.

indiana
03-11-2013, 09:02 AM
I did think it bogus that the Q5 can not be had in the USA without the s-roof.

terraflata
03-11-2013, 01:45 PM
GMG makes carbon fiber roofs without sunroofs. I imagine they are costly, but just putting that out there for those who are baller enough. Im glad to say Ive never had a sunroof in my Audi, seems some models came without it.

M-Hood
03-11-2013, 02:33 PM
GMG makes carbon fiber roofs without sunroofs. I imagine they are costly, but just putting that out there for those who are baller enough. Im glad to say Ive never had a sunroof in my Audi, seems some models came without it.

Are they still selling it because that was a Fiber Images product that they started making long time ago? GMG is a performance shop, they don't actually make CF products, they buy them from companies that do.

For the B5 A4 no sunroof was an option, one I went with.

terraflata
03-11-2013, 02:55 PM
Are they still selling it because that was a Fiber Images product that they started making long time ago? GMG is a performance shop, they don't actually make CF products, they buy them from companies that do.

For the B5 A4 no sunroof was an option, one I went with.

For real? So fiber images was doing all the CF RS4 parts for GMG? That would suck if that was the case. Was looking at doing fenders, rear doors, and 1/4s. If not I would love to see if they would sell the molds.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/309862-So-you-want-to-do-an-RS4-Widebody-Conversion

I thought you had a sunroof plug in your car? Ive never met anyone without a sunroof besides me yet.

M-Hood
03-11-2013, 03:27 PM
For real? So fiber images was doing all the CF RS4 parts for GMG? That would suck if that was the case. Was looking at doing fenders, rear doors, and 1/4s. If not I would love to see if they would sell the molds.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/309862-So-you-want-to-do-an-RS4-Widebody-Conversion

I thought you had a sunroof plug in your car? Ive never met anyone without a sunroof besides me yet.

Nope, was ordered without a sunroof. I do have CF hood, fenders, trunk and all 4 doors.

Picture of the head liner in my car back in 2001-2002.
http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/picture.php?albumid=1346&pictureid=27319

onemoremile
03-11-2013, 10:39 PM

I make carbon fiber parts. The mold would be a hundreds bucks plus time. At a grand I would make about $250 an hour.

M-Hood
03-12-2013, 09:17 AM
I make carbon fiber parts. The mold would be a hundreds bucks plus time. At a grand I would make about $250 an hour.

Ok is that per side or just for both sides of the mold? Thing is that with the rising prices of CF the price for the actual part is going to be high and when Fiber Images did make it not many people ordered it and when they did it was only during the Spring Time which means the mold took up space for 9 months of the year.

wolfe2118
03-12-2013, 10:32 AM
I'm curious, if someone happened to make these, how much would they be worth for a carbon fiber piece and a fiberglass piece? How much of a demand would there be for either?

onemoremile
03-12-2013, 04:24 PM
Ok is that per side or just for both sides of the mold? Thing is that with the rising prices of CF the price for the actual part is going to be high and when Fiber Images did make it not many people ordered it and when they did it was only during the Spring Time which means the mold took up space for 9 months of the year.

Per individual mold for something of that size. No reason to use two molds on it anyway. Vac infusion with a proper strategy will yield perfect parts with one.

The price rise doesn't actually exist. I have hundred yard rolls of aerospace fabric. If I could double my money selling a roll then I would. Hundred yard rolls have been 2 grand for years. I keep hearing about the price increases from manufacturers but I still buy at the same price.

The mold issue happens with everything. I have '65 Shelby Cobra mkiii molds that sit most of the time but will get used in a couple months. Mold storage and maintenance is part of the business. It currently takes up half of my workshop which fine with me. The molds are the most valuable part of the process.

M-Hood
03-12-2013, 04:46 PM
I'm curious, if someone happened to make these, how much would they be worth for a carbon fiber piece and a fiberglass piece? How much of a demand would there be for either?

For the last few years there wasn't much demand for it at all even though it was the same plug for a good amount of the Audi/VW models.