PDA

View Full Version : Easiest way to do cv axle?

blackhat
11-15-2012, 07:01 PM
Is the easiest way disconnecting upper control arms. Turning steering wheel and pulling out Axle? Plan on doing this tomorrow. How important is the final torque on the axle nut? Doing this all on ground outside. Hah

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

crazexr7
11-15-2012, 07:06 PM
It's easier to disconnect the lower control arm I think. I did the upper control arm method and it was more trouble than it was worth imo. Also torquing the rear axle bolt is important but it's really difficult to bring it up to spec. I'm always afraid of snapping my hex socket inside so I torque it and try to get at least a quarter turn out of it. I believe you torque it to specs and then give it a half turn.

blackhat
11-15-2012, 07:13 PM
Yeah people are saying 85 with a half turn. Like dude no way I'd snap something.

D's Avant
11-15-2012, 07:16 PM
Is the easiest way disconnecting upper control arms. Turning steering wheel and pulling out Axle? Plan on doing this tomorrow. How important is the final torque on the axle nut? Doing this all on ground outside. Hah

This is how I did mine with no problems, be careful with the ABS sensor. Getting that final torque is a challenge and getting that extra quarter turn is difficult. I think I used the breaker bar for that extra turn.

RickyCastro
11-15-2012, 07:24 PM
Break the axle nut while its on the ground first. Disconnect the lower control arm, and tie rod end out of the metal piece up top just so you have some play. Then undo all of the axle bolts. pull away the hub since you'll have play from the tie rod end not being attached. Then do it in reverse. Just do everything really tight. It's quite an important part.

Haenszel20v
11-15-2012, 07:27 PM
Break axle nut, jack car up, unbolt flange from trans, jack up wheel/rotor(load up suspension), pull out axle.

Don't even have to take the wheel off.

RickyCastro
11-15-2012, 07:42 PM
also not taking the wheel of will make it easier to tighten up the axle's inner bolts as you can spin it for each of them.

blackhat
11-16-2012, 04:56 AM
So it is possible by just having the car on a jack stand and disconnecting the axle bolt and the six tranny bolts to be able to get it out? You day jack up on the wheel too?.. Little more detail? Gonna be doing this today.

LEGO
11-16-2012, 06:02 AM
Changed both axles on my wife's 99 A4 1.8t tip the other day. I have read a few people were able to get the axle out by simply loading up the suspension. I was unable to no matter how much I loaded the suspension and no matter which way I turned the wheel. I always end up taking the pinch bolt out and releasing the upper control arms which gives me plenty of room to take the axle out. Maybe the manual is easier. When I did the axles on my 98 (manual), I also took the pinch bolt out and released the upper control arms because I didn't even think about loading up the suspension at that time. Don't know why people have so many problems with the pinch bolt. When I did the control arms on my car, my wife's car, and my brother's car, it was more work to release the lower control arms from the knuckle since they always got stuck for some reason then take the pinch bolt out.

blackhat
11-16-2012, 06:52 AM
I have a manual and I'm on st coils. I'll let you guys know how it goes today and what method I get to work.

MooseWhip
11-16-2012, 06:56 AM
When I did mine I disconnected the lower control arm, couldnt get enough room anyway I tried without doing it

jvega21
11-16-2012, 07:51 AM
Break axle nut, jack car up, unbolt flange from trans, jack up wheel/rotor(load up suspension), pull out axle.

Don't even have to take the wheel off.

^what he said. I had to do this a couple times when I did my swap. Already had the wheels off so I thread two wheel bolts so my friend could hold the breaks while I unbolted and bolted the axle to the flange. If you cant bend the CV axle enough then jack up the suspension and it should give you enough room. Install is the reverse including suspension part.
Found this on YouTube. Its not for our car, but same process
http://youtu.be/8bTGA4z876A