PDA

View Full Version : V6 N/A engine build.

kahoona78
11-15-2012, 12:17 PM
Ive been lurking again, and i have decided that im going to buy an engine, and then rebuild it a little at a time until its done and ready to swap in.
this seems like a gargantuan task in my head right now so i thought i would get on here and see what you geniuses had to say. i know i just saw a thread not long ago about the guy who did something similar, he painted his block green i think.
first question is what would i be looking at in parts cost wise? say i pay 500 for a motor. strip it down to the block then start ordering parts here and there and completely building it up from there.
also, where in gods name would i get a list of the numerous parts i would need to replace etc.
i realize that being a total stranger to this that just jamming it in the car at the end would be a bad idea lol. so i do have a shop who will do the swap for me. and who knows how long it would be before i was ready for that. but i am pretty excited about going ground up on this motor myself.
feel free to shoot this idea in the head if im being naieve.

walky_talky20
11-15-2012, 12:44 PM
What is the purpose of the build? Your motor is failing? You just want a fresh motor? You just want to drive a car with a motor you built? You want more horsepowers/torques?

kahoona78
11-15-2012, 12:51 PM
well, for one the motor i have now has 145k on it. I would like to think that id get another 50k out of it, but eventually i know it will need to be replaced. so part of this is preemptive.
secondly i would like to do this for personal satisfaction. i think it would be awesome to know that i built it.
i think it would be awesome to know the car im driving had a new motor in it too lol.
as for tuning, doing this iw ould like to go with better parts than oem. if that means getting more horsepower/torque then more power to it. i guess if i had the choice between a oem cam or a cam with more performace for a little more money id go with performance.

Artiemas
11-15-2012, 12:52 PM
Unless you plan on SCing that V6, I don't see too much of a point of building a 30v. But, to each his own, and if I had 10 grand laying around, it's what I would do.

viceprp
11-15-2012, 01:11 PM
Unless you plan on SCing that V6, I don't see too much of a point of building a 30v. But, to each his own, and if I had 10 grand laying around, it's what I would do.

Buy a 1.8 and build a turbo car.

kahoona78
11-15-2012, 01:11 PM
i definitely dont want to spend 10k lol. and to be honest im not looking to do some wild build.
i jsut want to take a motor from the block replacing parts until its finished, brand spanking new engine. and if it gets a little pep along the way i wont be mad :)

jeffrey146
11-15-2012, 01:20 PM
I have 215 on my 2.8 30v. still good compression. I bet itll last till 300k.

walky_talky20
11-15-2012, 01:53 PM
I have 215 on my 2.8 30v. still good compression. I bet itll last till 300k.

This. At 145k there is really no reason to do anything drastic. Just keep up with the maintenance and you'll be good to go. 2.8 cars don't often end up in junkyards because the motor suddenly wore out at 160k, lol. It's usually either because it's wrecked, or because the car nickel and dimed it's owner to within an inch of their life (ie: they were paying for labor).

I think a 2.8 should be good for 300k+ if it's treated right.

jeffrey146
11-15-2012, 02:11 PM
routine maintenance is a biggie like any car. change your filers fluids and all that good stuff. Like any car if you treat it right itll treat you right.

ianwpb
11-15-2012, 02:44 PM
I understand the desire to build an engine from the ground up... I would love to, but I can't see the point of building an engine with the intention to keep it relatively stock. It's kind of one of those "While you're in there..." things. You may as well buy forged pistons and rods rather than putting the same thing you have back in, you know? From there you could go with the 034 STK [wrench]

Chances are your motor will last a LOT longer than the next 50k miles. If anything, you'll need to replace suspension, brakes, and other accessories before the engine shows signs of failure. Keep up on the timing belt and oil changes and you'll be golden.

Mad Cow
11-15-2012, 07:12 PM
If you don't know exactly what's involved in rebuilding a motor I would suggest you stay away from that idea unless you want to end up with a multi-thousand dollar paperweight. Pulling the motor is the easy part, I don't think you understand just what's involved in rebuilding a motor.

nrowensby
11-15-2012, 07:53 PM
I drove a friend's 2.8 with over 300k miles on it... ran fine and all original internals with the exception of a couple valves that were bent when it popped a timing belt around 290k

S4orgy
11-15-2012, 07:56 PM
Chanting Vr6 vr6 vr6 + turbo

nynoah
11-15-2012, 09:48 PM
yeah, unless you are building a turbo, I would not bother to preemptively rebuild a NA V6. The cost / benefit factor makes it a money pit with no reward.

viceprp
11-16-2012, 03:15 AM
Why not invest that initial $500 into some preventative maintanence?

When I redid the entire suspension, it brought back a new love for the car. If you are 4x4 suspension then I highly recommend shocks and springs or ST coilovers. Complete control arm kit with some HD TRE to take care of a the sloppy steering responds. If you have a 5spd, the JHM TRIO kit will make each shift feel crisp and no wiggle room. I had 034 SD motor and tranny mounts put in to have added vibration at idle and less engine shift around the corners. Stick those corners with upgraded rear sway bar WITH subframe bracket. I'm not sure if the V6 A4 and S4 are the same, so you might be okay. It really made for an enjoyable car to drive.

kahoona78
11-16-2012, 06:51 AM
all great info, thank you for the thoughts.
i am by no means going to not do maintenance and continue to work ont he car as is. im currently putting togethe ra list of things to be done, as well as fixing this as i go.
i just was pondering how cool it would be to strip a motor down and rebuild it a little at a time until it was done.

viceprp
11-16-2012, 10:56 AM
Only way that would be worth the gratification would be some sort of FI system.

Artiemas
11-16-2012, 11:05 AM
S00pah charge. If I won 15 grand at the lotto, It'd all go to this, and making my car not look like it can hold it's own in a Monster Truck Rally.