PDA

View Full Version : Questions about 2001 B5 Audi A4 1.8t mods or V8 Swap?

TylerDSAudi
11-15-2012, 07:59 AM
I'm soon maybe looking into slowly doing more and more to my car because i LOVE IT! I one day want to start working on the power in my car as i have the 1.8T and its a great engine always runs well, seen others have 350+ Km on them and going strong and for a small turbo'd engine has a good power source. I have lots done to my car, but as engine stand points to help performance better and get more power i have:

Unitronic Octane Chip ( Stage 1 ), Cold Air intake (K&N), Borla Cat Back Exhaust, 3 Inch Test pipe ( Not installed yet )

So here are some questions I have i did lots of research on it, but mostly just want some peoples opinions and verify some things.

Stay with the 1.8t or go S4 V8?

I heard these swaps can be not to bad as long as you get the same years drive train. You can drop the V8 right in, all wires hook up because plugs are the same for the most part ( going to have to do some wiring ) Engine mounts of course and from what i read tranny will hook up as well. Would a 5 speed be good on that engine though? Probably not a bad idea to go with a 6 for high way speeds and get a little better fuel mileage.

Or

Keep the 1.8T as its only got 137,000 KM and do mods to it to be quite powerful. Turbo, up the staging, ect.. What would be some mods/upgrades you would do?

Thanks for viewing and input, its more or less just to get an idea what i would like to do and what would be ahead if i was too!

revolution337
11-15-2012, 08:40 AM
First off, if you plan on doing a V8 swap, you should use a belt driven V8, not the chain driven V8 from B6/7 S4s.

TylerDSAudi
11-15-2012, 09:03 AM
First off, if you plan on doing a V8 swap, you should use a belt driven V8, not the chain driven V8 from B6/7 S4s.

Please do explain. I was looking at the 4.2L v8 S4 engine. What year and car would you take it from?

Nollywood
11-15-2012, 10:06 AM
Please do explain. I was looking at the 4.2L v8 S4 engine. What year and car would you take it from?

Audi A6 C5 4,2 V8 40V, 300 hp (2000 - 2003).
Audi S6 C5 4,2 V8 40V, 340 hp (2000 - 2003).
Audi A8 D2 4,2 V8 40V, 310 hp (2000 - 2002).
Audi S8 D2 4,2 V8 40V, 360 hp (2000 - 2002).

All the above are belt-driven 077 series motors. If you opt for the S8, I would advice you run an S6 wiring harness. S8 ECU can be retained. The reasons being, the D2 harness bears no relationship to the B5 chassis, as far as conduit length, bends and basic route go. For this reason, I would only go for an A8 set-up if it's dirt cheap, as the 10 hp benefit over the A6 4,2 are not worth having to buy a seperate A4 40V harness for. With the S8, with it's 360 hp and 7,000 rpm redline, worth the extra time and cost.

A6 engine mounts can be used in the B5, as long as the mount platforms of the C5 V8 are also used (the aluminium brackets that sit between the subframe and frame rails).

The 079 series chain-driven S4 motor can be used, but will cost a fair bit more, and Motronic harness integration with the B5 will be difficult.

TylerDSAudi
11-15-2012, 10:18 AM
Great reply! Thank you.

I would be looking at doing maybe an S6 or A8 Engine as they are in the 310 - 340 range. That is very good power and with add on's like exhaust, chipping, ect.. you will get up there quick!

For wiring would i be completely ripping out the wiring in my car and re do it? As i have seen some doing that with the wiring on the ground in another thread on here and i couldn't believe how much wires their is! Im good at electoral work, but im not a master electron!

For engine mounts i would buy new engine mounts for the engine type, take down mine out and just completely refit the engine in their straight and tight. This way everything lines up perfect and i wont have to mod to much stuff to get it to fit how i want it too.

What about transmissions? Keep the 5 speed or go 6 speed? I wouldn't mind 6 for an over drive gear for highway driving as well. This still has to be an every day car and daily driver. ( Some say just buy an S4, but i love my car and why buy a completely new car just for the engine when the A4 vs S4 in the B5 body are pretty much the same car just some different touches on the S4.

What about the 1.8T Any ideas and parts to get it up to the power of 450ish. It would be cool as i wouldn't need to do as much like this V8 build, but who else in my area will have a V8 powered A4 Audi and how do you beat that sound!

Nollywood
11-15-2012, 10:32 AM
Wiring is a doddle, if you're conversant with Motronic, and have the wiring diagrams of both the V8 engine of your choice, as well as your B5. You don't need to completely rip out your wiring. All you're replacing is the Motronic harness, which can actually be done without having to gain access to the cabin.

Engine mounts: I would go for Stern or 034 items. Or you can go OEM B5 / B6 / C5 TDI mounts.

Transmission: I would advice an 01E 6-speed, if you can stretch to it. This is the route I took with mine. The 01A 5-speed will also work, but I preferred the stronger 01E, with a more relaxed drive. The ratios are also closer than in the 01A.

1,8T: I can't help you on that score, as I've never been an I4 fan, regardless of the power potential. Others with more experience will chime in here, no doubt.

TylerDSAudi
11-15-2012, 10:35 AM
Wiring is a doddle, if you're conversant with Motronic, and have the wiring diagrams of both the V8 engine of your choice, as well as your B5. You don't need to completely rip out your wiring. All you're replacing is the Motronic harness, which can actually be done without having to gain access to the cabin.

Engine mounts: I would go for Stern or 034 items. Or you can go OEM B5 / B6 / C5 TDI mounts.

Transmission: I would advice an 01E 6-speed, if you can stretch to it. This is the route I took with mine. The 01A 5-speed will also work, but I preferred the stronger 01E, with a more relaxed drive. The ratios are also closer than in the 01A.

1,8T: I can't help you on that score, as I've never been an I4 fan, regardless of the power potential. Others with more experience will chime in here, no doubt.

Ok well thats good its just engine bay wiring thats what i was thinking. I really dont want to replace cabin wiring. Engine mounts thats what i was thinking OEM is i could find them or i will look at those as well as they are a key point! I was thinking 6 as well and agreed!

Thanks for the help!

JumboBlack1.8
11-15-2012, 01:51 PM
Read this from beginning to end:
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/453430-Debating-an-s6-4-2L-swap

I'm slacking...but many others have finished this swap