PDA

View Full Version : Alignments on coilovers?

blackhat
11-14-2012, 12:11 PM
Where do you go to get it done? I tried Firestone and they said they only have the alignment options for stock cars when they punch it in and since it's lowered all the geometry of the suspension changed so my tires still would wear funny.

I'm 23.75gtf

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Kapn.K
11-14-2012, 12:17 PM
Any place with an alignment machine. Toe, castor, camber. They measure where it is at and try to get it to their specs. The only limiting factor is the adjustment range. That guy was just lazy.

bw86
11-14-2012, 12:46 PM
I didn't have a problem getting an alignment with my coilovers at around 23.5"

Got it done by a local shop.

walky_talky20
11-14-2012, 12:53 PM
I'm with Captain Kay, can't you just tell them what you want...and then they do it? They are only adjusting toe, and sometimes camber (and then only if they feel like it).

For example: "Mr. Alignment Man sir, please adjust-a-micate my car as close as you can to this"

[hands paper]

Front: 3 Minutes of Toe, center the camber side-to-side if cross camber greater than 30 Minutes.
Rear: 5 Minutes of Toe, -1 degree 20 minutes camber.

It may help to bring a box of donuts or something. My brother always does that to help his car slide through emissions inspections.

SlowBone
11-14-2012, 12:55 PM
I didn't have a problem getting an alignment with my coilovers at around 23.5"
Search different firestones in the area. They are making them with inground lifts on the newer ones. if clearance is an issue, just bring some scrap wood to get on the base of the lift.

ECS Tuning-Audi
11-14-2012, 01:17 PM
Unless you have adjustable control arms there's not much they can do to correct the front camber. But any alignment shop should be able to set your toe settings. Rear camber can be adjusted a little but not much.

I think half the battle is they see how low your car is and don't want to fuss with getting it on the rack - that would require more work that they aren't getting paid for so most of the time it's a no.

Have a bunch of car guy friends? At least one of them has to know a tech at a shop that is more than capable of doing it - give him your business!

Good luck!

Jason