PDA

View Full Version : Creak coming from behind the steering wheel...

Nevalite
11-13-2012, 09:53 AM
Hello everyone,

Yet another "My b5 is making noises" thread. So there is very loud and annoying creaking noise coming from directly behind the steering wheel area. I hear the noise mostly when starting to move or when stopping. I also hear the noise when turning the steering wheel.

I know everyone is going to say control arms but they were installed last year and I have checked them, it is not the control arms, nor the outer tie rod, it is new also. I was certain the noise was coming from the inner tie rod so I changed it but alas, the noise is still there. Right after installing the inner tie rod the noise went away at first, but it came back the day after... I can't really think of what else could be causing this weird creaking noise...

A few ideas: clockspring, steering rack?

What do you guys think?

Thanks

walky_talky20
11-13-2012, 12:16 PM
My clock spring started making noises the other day. Then it stopped. Or maybe I'm just ignoring it now. I've decided my car is super old now, and noises will come and go. And I'm ok with that...kinda.

contrldsub
11-13-2012, 01:52 PM
mine was doing that, i discovered a broken front left coil spring.

Seerlah
11-13-2012, 02:16 PM
Noise from your steering wheel and suspension area are 2 different locations.

A1 A2 German
11-14-2012, 10:47 AM
Noise from your steering wheel and suspension area are 2 different locations.

x2

Mine drive me up a wall, it was the tensioned black ribbed shield that slides up and down inside the steering wheel shroud to take up the slack for having an adjustable steering wheel (hides the gaps).

Nevalite
11-17-2012, 06:53 PM
I did my springs today and I can confirm the noise is NOT coming from any of the suspension parts, I could hear it even with everything removed. It seems to be coming from the inner tie rod area but I just changed that inner tie rod not 10k ago... Not really sure what this is. I might go back in and remove the inner tie rod and check around.

CBlockb5a4
11-18-2012, 02:36 PM
loose subframe bolt

Nevalite
11-18-2012, 06:38 PM
loose subframe bolt

Which bolt are you talking about?

CCA4
11-19-2012, 05:48 AM
My old B5 did this when it was cold outside. Never did figure out why...

Believer
11-19-2012, 01:05 PM
You said that this occurs even when you aren't turning the wheel? I have a very similar issue that I'm certain is the clock spring but have never experienced it when NOT turning the wheel. I would say it is the clock spring except that you mentioned it happens simply when moving which kind of points to something else other than the clock spring.

CBlockb5a4
11-19-2012, 04:57 PM
Which bolt are you talking about?

the large 18mm head subframe bolts. tighten them all until the creak stops.

Nevalite
11-20-2012, 10:01 AM
So while I was stuck in traffic this morning I decided to record the creak, it happen when I start and stop. It seems the slightest shift in weight of the car activates it. Listen for yourselves:

Squeak.mp3 (http://www20.zippyshare.com/v/861950/file.html)

What do you think? Sound familiar?

Believer
11-20-2012, 11:21 AM
The sound that you captured to me sounds just like my control arms did when they were shot.

Nevalite
11-25-2012, 11:21 AM
It was indeed the sub frame bolt, thanks.