PDA

View Full Version : bigger turbo with stock exhaust??

BRuss01
11-12-2012, 06:48 PM
i bought my 2001 audi 1.8t last month and im just getting around to getting it fixed up. it has a upgraded turbo with a stock exhaust. could the exhaust being stock have a negative effect on the turbo? ive been told that the stock exhaust wont let the preasure out and blow my seals, i have a blow off valve but been told that doesnt matter let me know what you think, thanks
[confused]

moyenecorniche
11-12-2012, 06:55 PM
i bought my 2001 audi 1.8t last month and im just getting around to getting it fixed up. it has a upgraded turbo with a stock exhaust. could the exhaust being stock have a negative effect on the turbo? ive been told that the stock exhaust wont let the preasure out and blow my seals, i have a blow off valve but been told that doesnt matter let me know what you think, thanks
[confused]

Why didn't you post this with your " Good Buy " thread...[confused]

Yes....upgraded bigger turbo needs upgraded exhaust as well as ECU tweak and as far as blowoff valve, our motors do not need them.
Do some reading research in the B5 and B6 1.8T build threads and that is the 1st place to understand where to go with the 1.8T BT.
If you don't get all the variables correct, you will have all kinds of issues as well as risk major mechanical failures....

shinamura
11-12-2012, 07:24 PM
pretty common knowledge that bov's are a no-no with our cars. diverter valve all the way because of metered air. you can get away with the forge splitter (50/50 recirc and atmo)

seanj130
11-12-2012, 07:53 PM
Stock Cat.. That is one thing. Stock Exhaust is another. You should be good to go with the blow off valve, we are talking very little side effects. Stock exhaust is fine, but you will not be as efficient as you could be with that turbo. The stock cat should be swapped out if anything.

kwnk
11-13-2012, 11:22 PM
youd definitely want more flow going out the exhaust to reduce the backpressure that turbo will cause. go with a high flow cat first then size up exhaust options. what turbo are you running?

redline380
11-14-2012, 12:26 AM
Yeah it really depends what size of turbo. A k04 can get away with it and maybe a gtrs that's ran weak. Anything bigger and you'll want bigger exhaust. As for the blow off valve, if it's a dual piston valve you'll be fine. Single piston won't cause many problems but it's not as good for the car as a dual piston. Obviously a dv is best

J Ozzie
11-14-2012, 12:38 AM
GT28 BRAH wait....no go big! GT30

U can get a new 28 from cts for 1,275.00
or the 3076 for $1,245.00 - which ill be going

Even look out for a used...

Just dont go K04 unless u get a killllller deal on it.

I would even go T3/T4