PDA

View Full Version : cel 16395 p0011 possible problem / solution

BRuss01
11-12-2012, 06:14 PM
hello i bought my 01 audi for my first car last month. im just getting around to fixing it up now i hooked up a snap on scanner and i got a couple engine codes including cel 16395 / p0011 intermittent. anyone else have this problem / what you do to fix/ possible cost to fix. thanks
[wrench]

contrldsub
11-12-2012, 06:30 PM
any noise in the top end/valve cover area? that code is "Bank 1 Camshaft advance adjustment". you can check the resistance at the control valve for the variable valve timing, should be 10 - 18 ohms. if thats ok. check the connector for voltage. im unsure what voltage you should have but i would imagine its 5-12.6v.

walky_talky20
11-12-2012, 07:11 PM
It's intermittent. Therefore it isn't causing a check engine light. I would just clear it for now, see how long it takes to come back. As long as it isn't clattering (chain noise) or running poorly, I would just ignore the code. Not really a big deal. The fix is a new tensioner, but they are CA$H Money unless you go aftermarket. I have an aftermarket one in mine and it even throws that code once in a while. I still sleep ok. ;)

lexaudia4
07-21-2014, 06:41 AM
Hello, I'm currently having similar issue. Except I'm getting code 16395, 17535 and 16556. The Check engine light is on. The car it self drives great. One thing I noticed, I was getting about 35 mpg and now with These codes I get around 42 mpg. Codes 17535 and 16556 both related to Fuel Trim-system too rich bank 1. I"m not sure where to begin. Any ideas. Thanks in advance.

walky_talky20
07-21-2014, 07:03 AM
16395 P0011 Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): Retard Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced)
17535 P1127 Long Term Fuel Trim multiplicative, Bank1 System too Rich
16556 P0172 Fuel Trim,Bank1 System too Rich

The codes say the car is running way too rich. So the ECU is going to be "pulling fuel". The fact that you are getting 42mpg means that it probably *shouldn't* be pulling fuel, because that kind of MPG is not normal for these cars. AT ALL.

So it boils down to your car seeing a rich condition that is not real, and pulling fuel anyway, and you get crazy-good mileage. The most likely reason for this is a faulty primary oxygen sensor. It is lying to the ECU, reporting a rich condition that is not, in fact, happening.

Repair options:

1) Do nothing. Keep this "magical" oxygen sensor installed and enjoy fantastic fuel economy while it lasts. The downside is the engine is running dangerously lean and this will lead to damage very quickly. The cylinder temperatures are much higher than they should be. You will basically be melting the pistons, burning valves, etc. "Now, me and the mad scientist got to rip apart the block... and replace the piston rings you fried."

2) Fix it. Do some diagnostic on the O2 sensors. Compare the 2 against what the spark plugs are telling you. If the car has 100k+, it's not bad sense to replace the primary sensor anyway. They are only rated to last that long before their performance degrades. Based on your codes, I'm guessing you have a 1.8T AWM engine. So the primary sensor is a wideband unit and has very much control over the fueling. This explains how it can get that far off. Earlier cars don't give the o2 sensor that much authority.