PDA

View Full Version : Starter problem? Help

garciasA4Q
11-12-2012, 10:06 AM
Okay so I drive a 98 audi a4 2.8 30v.

The car has never had problems starting. I drive this car every single day

So today I go to start the car and nothing, lights work radios heat. So it's not the battery. I jump start the car letting it roll and letting the clutch go while in gear and it starts up perfect.

Can the starter be shit ? If so where is it located on these cars ?

ianwpb
11-12-2012, 07:51 PM
The starter could definitely be the issue, however I wouldn't jump to that conclusion quite yet. I recently had a "No start/no crank" issue, so I'll go over how I diagnosed it.

What I would do first is check your battery's voltage with a multi-meter. Should be around 12.5v.

If that checks out I would go ahead and pull the driver side knee panel (4 8mm bolts). You'll see a bunch of relays. Find number 13. The relay had "204" on it. That's for the clutch switch. Use a piece of wire to jump terminals 30 & 87 like this

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x373/icrabtree8203/photo-15.jpg

Go ahead and try to start the car now, make sure your battery is charged, as you may have drained it from trying to start it so many times. If that works, then either the relay, clutch switch, or the wiring in between has been effected. My car had the same issue, I just left it jumped like it is in the picture but with male connectors. The only this is that you won't have to push the clutch in to start the car, so don't leave it in gear, or just be really careful.

If that doesn't work, try to jump the starter by supplying power directly to it. If you don't hear anything at all, then yeah, the starter is probably gone. For more info on that, I believe I found a thread here on Audizine, go ahead and use the search function to find it.

As for the location of the starter, it's on the passenger of the engine behind the alternator. You can also see it from the passenger side wheel well.

I hope this helps.