PDA

View Full Version : Wanna see how much of an idiot the previous owner was?

J Ozzie
11-12-2012, 02:16 AM
So check this out...

I finally found the pic i was looking for of my dash.. ne ways.. To sell the car.. the previous owner instead of replacing the Bad cat and replacing the bad MAF... he did this!!! [headbang][headbang][headbang]
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b337/DJDestructo/CarFix016.jpg

Now i need one of you guys who know the LED stuff to help me out with replacing it. I dont know what led it is or even where to look? i know ebay, but what am i looking for?

revolution337
11-12-2012, 03:42 AM
I believe they are SMLEDs. Installing them is pretty simple if you have any sort of basic soldering skills.

walky_talky20
11-12-2012, 04:40 AM
My brother had the same thing with his A4. It was kind of funny, the car never had any codes when he got it anyway. He didn't even notice the CEL was broken until he APR chipped it and couldn't get it to flash when switching modes. We figured it just burned out. He had the LED fixed by pixelfix.info at the same time the DIS LCD was replaced. An LED was transferred from a donor cluster. The guy at pixelfix was like "uh oh" when he went to take it apart because bunches of clips that hold the cluster together were broken. Upon opening it up they found somebody had screwdriver'd the living crap out of the CEL LED. What a hack job.

tokarsqi
11-12-2012, 05:09 AM
To everyone...remember to look for all lights on dash when ignition is turned on when buying a used car like airbag, check engine etc....sadly this is not unusual...

2.7taudi
11-12-2012, 05:33 AM
To everyone...remember to look for all lights on dash when ignition is turned on when buying a used car like airbag, check engine etc....sadly this is not unusual...

Beat me to it.

Sent from my iPhone.

Stubek
11-12-2012, 05:54 AM
check DavidB8's site www.audienthusiasts.com He actually has a write up on how to change the LEDs to match the color on the screen.

SS92
11-12-2012, 08:16 AM
As long as the pads arent lifted off, you can replace with SMLed's just be careful. The pads are very easy to lift off if you apply too much heat when you solder them back on.

J Ozzie
11-12-2012, 09:30 AM

i just cant believe someone would do that... SUCH BS!

I have a good lil soldering gun that i can use.

ill check DavidB8's site - thanks Stubek.

Im still like....WOOOOOOOOOOOOWW really dude?

J Ozzie
11-12-2012, 09:37 AM
http://www.audienthusiasts.com/Project_MMILED.html

Smart guy he is! this is going to help just nicely

Mad Cow
11-12-2012, 10:17 AM
I have that beat, I had a cheap '99.5 at one point and the PO taped over the opening of the SRS light instead. I would've been fine with that but he also broke the speedometer in the process so that it jumped around in 20-30 km/h increments and creaked really loudly.

BThomas220
11-12-2012, 11:22 AM
I was sitting at a dark intersection one night when I noticed a faint glow coming form the CEL and the ABS lights. Turns out the previous owner had taken the dash apart and made little foam plugs out of that blue house insulation foam stuff. It cost me $750 to get a new ABS module installed. I hate being lied too, if I had know about it I never would have bought the car.

skim464
11-12-2012, 11:52 AM
Is there any legal action you can take against them though??

Man it just hurts to hear someone go to that extreme just to sell a used vehicle..

GetBoosted84
11-12-2012, 01:10 PM
I don't know about other states but in PA what those previous owners did is illegal and there are some major fines for that kind of crap.

J Ozzie
11-12-2012, 02:54 PM
I have that beat, I had a cheap '99.5 at one point and the PO taped over the opening of the SRS light instead. I would've been fine with that but he also broke the speedometer in the process so that it jumped around in 20-30 km/h increments and creaked really loudly.
wtff.. so this happens to a lot? thats bs!

I was sitting at a dark intersection one night when I noticed a faint glow coming form the CEL and the ABS lights. Turns out the previous owner had taken the dash apart and made little foam plugs out of that blue house insulation foam stuff. It cost me $750 to get a new ABS module installed. I hate being lied too, if I had know about it I never would have bought the car.
No way! why cant people just fix the issue!! then sell it!
i swear it prolly took this dude like 3 hours to get it all done. why so long? cus hes an idiot!

I don't know about other states but in PA what those previous owners did is illegal and there are some major fines for that kind of crap.
Oh really? i did buy it in the USA and then imported it up here...

J Ozzie
11-12-2012, 02:56 PM
this is where i got the car from too

Manhattan Auto Sales
Phone: (425) 744-1449
Fax: (425) 744-1449
22730 Highway 99, Edmonds, WA 98026-8376

TConklin821
11-12-2012, 02:59 PM
Lol, Manhattan Auto Sales in VA. Yeah, look up the number for the DOT department in Virginia and give em a call.

GetBoosted84
11-12-2012, 03:35 PM
Oh really? i did buy it in the USA and then imported it up here...

Yep. I only know because it happened to a friend of mine. Except his was the transmission CEL that they pulled out. Scammers suck!

Mad Cow
11-12-2012, 07:17 PM
wtff.. so this happens to a lot? thats bs!

No way! why cant people just fix the issue!! then sell it!

Honestly I was more mad about having to buy a cluster than the SRS light because it was just a bad crash sensor. I would consider you somewhat lucky though, at least now you know the PO actually had the skills and forethought to do that instead of a hack job. I guess I'm just desensitized to these things, I've dealt with so many sneaky POs that I consider it pretty normal now.

J Ozzie
11-13-2012, 03:02 AM
Lol, Manhattan Auto Sales in VA. Yeah, look up the number for the DOT department in Virginia and give em a call.

they moved? Wont DOT like take my car away?

Yep. I only know because it happened to a friend of mine. Except his was the transmission CEL that they pulled out. Scammers suck!
When i first got my car i was like fuck are a4's normally this slow! (Stupid sideways cat)

Honestly I was more mad about having to buy a cluster than the SRS light because it was just a bad crash sensor. I would consider you somewhat lucky though, at least now you know the PO actually had the skills and forethought to do that instead of a hack job. I guess I'm just desensitized to these things, I've dealt with so many sneaky POs that I consider it pretty normal now.

i'm hating it!

J Ozzie
11-23-2012, 03:14 AM
Someone send me an led out of ur old clusters!